41 - 60 of 176 Posts

·
La nuit je mens
87,071 Posts
How I wish it would rain right now.

·
Registered
57,323 Posts
Macron just spoke and announced that the cathedral will be rebuilt. It will be possible to donate starting tomorrow.

I suspect that they'll get the money very quickly from all over the world.

While they previously struggled to find money to restore it.
I hope they will began asap and im glad the structure will be saved

Im sure ppl from all over the world will donate money, it has historical value to everyone.

·
La nuit je mens
87,071 Posts
Damn. How dangerous for firefighters to work there with a structure that could collapse at any moment. Thoughts for them.

Looking at this, the interior looks better than I thought it would.

·
Registered
10,506 Posts
The fire was finally calmed down now it seems, almost. The job of firemen is too keep it as cold as possible for the rest of the night. Hats off to these brave men.
I've just seen your president on TV and he said the landmark will be rebuilt :)

In the meantime, the media launching an offensive against the US president who suggested that the French firefighters should use helicopters to pour the water from above :angel:

·
Registered
13,758 Posts
Macron just spoke and announced that the cathedral will be rebuilt. It will be possible to donate starting tomorrow.

I suspect that they'll get the money very quickly from all over the world.

While they previously struggled to find money to restore it.
After the Old St Paul's Cathedral in London burnt down during the Great Fire in 1666, Sir Christopher Wren was walking through the rubble and randomly picked up a piece of stone. It was part of an old tombstone and when he turned it over it has the word 'Resurgam' - 'I shall rise again' inscribed on it. When I first read that story it sent a shiver down my spine. I have no doubt that Notre Dame will rise again too.

·
La nuit je mens
87,071 Posts
Trump is so fucking dumb.

First saying we should act quickly. Like duh. Thank you, nobody thought about it.

And then suggesting flying water tankers :spit: Does he even realise the further damage such quantity of water thrown on a building could do ? It's one thing to throw it in woods, but damn. How dense the guy is.

·
Registered
10,506 Posts
Absolutely heartbreaking :sad:

I know a lot of landmarks have already collapsed etc. and been saved, but apparently, they had a big problems even getting funding for the necessary repairs they were doing now, and had to literally beg for it. They had to beg for funding to preserve Notre Dame. I mean, obviously there will be media and people's pressure on them now to do it, but... it does not fill you with confidence.
You're right, I remember watching recently some report from France about the poor state of many historical landmarks, as they were trying to involve the public (by donating or otherwise) to help save these structures.

BTW, as you're from CZ: there's a similar problem here with the financing and so some historical buildings are being saved or rebuilt from Norwegian funds or even by British volunteers.

·
La nuit je mens
87,071 Posts
And indeed, this a reminder of how most touristic places around the world were not build to sustain such activity and such crowds. There are probably thousands, if not more, of buildings, places, that are fragile and in serious danger right now.

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
Perfect example of how fragile our species are and how easily our history can be wiped away.

·
La nuit je mens
87,071 Posts
The Pinault family, third richest family of France, just announced a donation of 100 millions.

Reactions: Petronius and Punky

·
Banned
17,826 Posts
As a French Canadian, I'm deeply saddened by this news.

·
Registered
52,306 Posts

·
EXPRESS YOURSELF
7,948 Posts
I literally bought passes to climb the towers today, hours before I found out about the fire. I’m not worried about losing the money, devastated at the thought I may not get to do something I’ve been waiting all my life to do. Even if it is closed to tourists, hopefully people donate so people can return.

·
Registered
10,975 Posts
TBH, I would be even more mad if the amazing Speyer Cathedral was on fire, as it's the largest preserved Romanesque church in Europe/world.
Surely there are more valuable cathedrals than the one in Cologne, but that one is a national symbol like Brandenburg Gate. Tbh if I had the choice in Paris, I would've preferred that ugly church in Montmartre burning down.

Looks like there will be fund raising in Germany, too, as the speaker of the government already announced. To expresss "the friendship of the German people with the French people". I hate this wording after centuries of war and mistrust between our two countries since the empire of Charlemagne was divided between his heirs, but as I said: this cathedral is not only France, it is a landmark of european history and I would be happy to see the people of Europe helping to rebuild it.

41 - 60 of 176 Posts