Tennis Forum banner

21 - 40 of 176 Posts

·
Registered
10,518 Posts
Big condolences to our French friends, this is heart-breaking to see :hug:

Despite this horrible news and the irreparable damage to the building’s interior, let me look beyond this tragedy in a positive way.

The Gothic style ushered in by the Kingdom of France inspired many other buildings across Europe so thankfully the spark or legacy ignited on the French soil will live on through many other original buildings throughout the continent.

The church will surely be rebuilt, no doubt. Look what happened in 1890 to another stunning Gothic landmark in Europe, the Charles Bridge in Prague.

Today, the bridge is super busy and packed with tourists as if nothing ever happened.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
I'm devastated. Those images are painful to see. Huge loss for culture, art, architecture and history in general, not only for France but for the whole world. Praying they manage to save as much as possible. I wonder which approach they will take regarding reconstruction and intervention in the future. :sad:

·
Registered
10,518 Posts
https://www.nbcnews.com/video/watch-live-notre-dame-cathedral-in-paris-on-fire-1493982275799

Oh my. Even as an atheist, I am heartbroken. Besides Eiffel Tower and Louvre, this is Paris. More than over 800 years of culture being a victim of the flames and they still have no clue how to fight it.

it's like Cologne Cathedral being on fire. Can't even imagine it. France and Paris, stay strong.
TBH, I would be even more mad if the amazing Speyer Cathedral was on fire, as it's the largest preserved Romanesque church in Europe/world.

One of our royal couples even had a wedding there as early as in 1310 and the Czech & Luxembourgish central banks have recently even issued a special commemorative coin to mark the 700th anniversary of the wedding.

Awesome building, IMO.

(Please don't ever play with fire in its immediate surroundings :cool:)

·
Registered
6,533 Posts
I can't believe I am watching this historical treasure burn to the ground on TV and no one can save it!

Planes from all over Europe should be dropping fire-smothering chemicals or something! :eek::sad:

Reactions: Perun

·
Registered
57,323 Posts
Big condolences to our French friends, this is heart-breaking to see :hug:

Despite this horrible news and the irreparable damage to the building’s interior, let me look beyond this tragedy in a positive way.

The Gothic style ushered in by the Kingdom of France inspired many other buildings across Europe so thankfully the spark or legacy ignited on the French soil will live on through many other original buildings throughout the continent.

The church will surely be rebuilt, no doubt. Look what happened in 1890 to another stunning Gothic landmark in Europe, the Charles Bridge in Prague.

Today, the bridge is super busy and packed with tourists as if nothing ever happened.
Wish i could find comfort in it but i can't

·
Premium Member
39,254 Posts
The fire was finally calmed down now it seems, almost. The job of firemen is too keep it as cold as possible for the rest of the night. Hats off to these brave men.

Reactions: Mauriac

·
Rise up from ignorance
17,556 Posts
Polish media report the fire dept. said both bell towers will be saved? Let's hope so!

·
Registered
9,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
There is no confirmation whether the interior actually burned, right? The roof structure burned but the vaulting survived luckily. The artworks were supposedly saved.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Absolutely heartbreaking :sad:

I know a lot of landmarks have already collapsed etc. and been saved, but apparently, they had a big problems even getting funding for the necessary repairs they were doing now, and had to literally beg for it. They had to beg for funding to preserve Notre Dame. I mean, obviously there will be media and people's pressure on them now to do it, but... it does not fill you with confidence.

·
La nuit je mens
87,071 Posts
Heartbreaking. Thankfully, the structure is now safe, the bell towers are saved. Hopefully, the stone structure isn't too damaged. But all the wooden parts are gone. Years of work ahead now.

Incredible scenes in the streets of Paris, with people praying and crying. So touching. Catholic or not. Most of the arts and the treasure were saved.

I imagine the ceiling is partly gone too. And the bells probably fell with the whole structure being wooden.

Never thought we'd witness something like this.

·
Registered
54,074 Posts

·
Registered
57,323 Posts
This video is so sad :sad:

An Islamist attack again or normal fire ? What was the reason ?
I hope its just an accident bc if its an attack its the beginning of hell and wars.

·
Registered
52,424 Posts
awww that's really awful to see :sad:

such a majestic monument. You never imagine something like that could happen...

·
La nuit je mens
87,071 Posts
Nothing suggests an attack right now. The fire began exactly where restoration was going on. Inside the structure.

·
Registered
57,323 Posts
Heartbreaking. Thankfully, the structure is now safe, the bell towers are saved. Hopefully, the stone structure isn't too damaged. But all the wooden parts are gone. Years of work ahead now.

Incredible scenes in the streets of Paris, with people praying and crying. So touching. Catholic or not. Most of the arts and the treasure were saved.

I imagine the ceiling is partly gone too. And the bells probably fell with the whole structure being wooden.

Never thought we'd witness something like this.
Pls post a link if they will open some kind of channel to donate money for the structure bc i would like to donate for the work

·
Milk and honey
3,571 Posts
Have been there many times and have some beautiful photos, the stained glass windows were my favourite and arguably the most visually stunning and striking stained glass windows in the world. It is the heart of the Île de la Cité. Heartbroken. :crying2:

·
La nuit je mens
87,071 Posts
Pls post a link if they will open some kind of channel to donate money for the structure bc i would like to donate for the work
Macron just spoke and announced that the cathedral will be rebuilt. It will be possible to donate starting tomorrow.

I suspect that they'll get the money very quickly from all over the world.

While they previously struggled to find money to restore it.

21 - 40 of 176 Posts