Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am pretty eager to BT the match, was it just a easy win? or did maria play badly? or martina fought so great?

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
An awesome match mate. Maria didn't play badly, she hit some good winners (16 in total, 24 UE) she was just owned really. Martina's stats were incredible, (19 winners, 9 unforce errors) with a much more powerful serve. Both forehand and backhand were on fire, she hit some amazing winners with great power of her own. 71% first serves, 2 aces, 70% first serve points won, 80& second serve points... Her returns were equally awesome, she took maria to deuce on pretty much all of her service games... broke her 4 times.

Really... perfection. Surprisingly powerful too.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
I saw the match and a lot of it was "consistency beats inconsistency" rather than "touch beats power". Only for a very brief moment in the first few games there were some rallies where Martina looked overpowered and couldn't get the ball back. From then on, Sharapova made a lot of unforced errors and in the end of the second set she lost concentration, sprayed some balls and gave Hingis many free points.

·
Registered
18,514 Posts
Maria panics too often. I don't like it. She had Henin beaten, but paniced when she got those line calls. No me gusta.

·
Registered
20,154 Posts
Bumsby said:
I saw the match and a lot of it was "consistency beats inconsistency" rather than "touch beats power". Only for a very brief moment in the first few games there were some rallies where Martina looked overpowered and couldn't get the ball back. From then on, Sharapova made a lot of unforced errors and in the end of the second set she lost concentration, sprayed some balls and gave Hingis many free points.
Thanks for the report.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
mboyle said:
Maria panics too often. I don't like it. She had Henin beaten, but paniced when she got those line calls. No me gusta.
I don't know why, but I think she loses control sometimes when she plays "crafted" players who can do "many things" with the ball, while she's more relaxed with power-players who play a game similar to hers. I think it may be some sort of secret, hidden "respect" that she has towards those who can do what she can't.

·
Registered
184 Posts
On TV coverage in Japan, Kimiko Date was saying

-Hingis today is so much better than she was 3/4 years ago.
-Nobody can handle this Martina. This scoreline was a result of Maria's fighting spirit. Other players could have been even more devastated.
-Maria was not bad. But never seen Maria so confused, running around so hard.

Kimiko was very impressed, although before the match she predicted Maria's win.

This reminded me of Hingis-Seles match in 1997,8. Now Hingis is a real GS contender!

·
Registered
58 Posts
My match report:
Martina was awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Exposed Maria's lack of movement every other point , hit very well measured off forehands taking Maria by surprise ( and taking the ball so early)and of course some Marti backhand's down the line ( although towards the end of the match Maria picked two venom special Marti's backands down the line hitting two amazing crosscourt forehands winners on the run!!!).
Some sparkles of Maria's power and good serves here and there , but nothing to upset Marti. Actually , one of the things I liked the most was Marti's serving, to serve the first set she hit two ( yes , I said 2!!!) aces down the line..............the second serves were most of the time heavy sliced to Maria's forehand or body.............we did not see many return winners from Maria!
To compliment the party Marti came to the net , wisely ( as usual ), to finish off some points ...........really gracefully. She did not back off at any stage , was only overpower in the first games and even on those came on top!!!.
Yuri was not showed that much during this match and appeared to be really within himself..........I wonder if he's been advised to calm down by Maria's image care takers.
Really guys , I've been always huge fan of big hitters , ever since I felt in love with Monica Seles in the nineties but I have to admit Martina means real super class tennis and it's difficult to put in words what I felt watching this match.............It was beauty.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Astroferlondon said:
My match report:
Martina was awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Exposed Maria's lack of movement every other point , hit very well measured off forehands taking Maria by surprise ( and taking the ball so early)and of course some Marti backhand's down the line ( although towards the end of the match Maria picked two venom special Marti's backands down the line hitting two amazing crosscourt forehands winners on the run!!!).
Some sparkles of Maria's power and good serves here and there , but nothing to upset Marti. Actually , one of the things I liked the most was Marti's serving, to serve the first set she hit two ( yes , I said 2!!!) aces down the line..............the second serves were most of the time heavy sliced to Maria's forehand or body.............we did not see many return winners from Maria!
To compliment the party Marti came to the net , wisely ( as usual ), to finish off some points ...........really gracefully. She did not back off at any stage , was only overpower in the first games and even on those came on top!!!.
Yuri was not showed that much during this match and appeared to be really within himself..........I wonder if he's been advised to calm down by Maria's image care takers.
Really guys , I've been always huge fan of big hitters , ever since I felt in love with Monica Seles in the nineties but I have to admit Martina means real super class tennis and it's difficult to put in words what I felt watching this match.............It was beauty.
Thank you so much for the reports. :D
Yeah, I think Martina's game,.. it just beauty itself.
Go, Martina!
:bounce:

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:
Im on cloud nine right now - i so wish i could have seen this match!

·
Registered
169 Posts
I was equally impressed by what I saw. Martina was really hitting the ball when needed and it was Maria on occassion taking the power off the ball, only for Martina to hit a screaming winner.

This was a completely different Hingis to the one before she retired, she just seemed so much more in control.

Also Kudos for the way she won the first set and took her first match point. I thought she may have got nervous and backed off but not at all. In general a great display.

·
Registered
34,673 Posts
Astroferlondon said:
My match report:

Martina :hearts: :bowdown:

·
Registered
35 Posts
the hingis forehand is just taken so early, and when she went up the line to the maria backhand she won almost every time, maria often not able to run it down.

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
Not a great match.

Maria didn't play well. She served poorly. Only a few flashes of brilliance. Most of the time unforced errors, 24 Ue to 9 is the story of the match.

Martina played very well, serving better than formerly, and some good winners.

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
Bumsby said:
I don't know why, but I think she loses control sometimes when she plays "crafted" players who can do "many things" with the ball, while she's more relaxed with power-players who play a game similar to hers. I think it may be some sort of secret, hidden "respect" that she has towards those who can do what she can't.
No, it's because she likes to be given hitting rhythm. It's much easier to keep hitting when balls come in with good, steady pace. She doesn't like varying pace, unexpected angles, they mess up her game.

·
Registered
21,059 Posts
Maritna had 19 winners? WTF!

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
xan said:
Not a great match.

Maria didn't play well. She served poorly. Only a few flashes of brilliance. Most of the time unforced errors, 24 Ue to 9 is the story of the match.

Martina played very well, serving better than formerly, and some good winners.
The UE were usually the result of the ball not being where she expected or could get to it - which has an awful lot to do with the person who hit it there.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
I don't think 24 unforced errors are that many for many power players. About 20 per set has often been commonplace. But remember this, Martina's opponents have always made a lot of unforced errors over the years. That's what Hingis' game does to her opponents, it maneuvers them around the court until they make mistakes.

They're offically recorded as unforced errors, but they usually come after the player finds herself in a bad court position and tries to hit her way out of the problem, so it is "unforced" in name only.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts