Tennis Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Notable matches all over the place. The 32 seeds may work out okay this time. (BTW, in the SF 1 plays 4, 2 plays 3.)

NOTE: Hingis got the 'Williams double' again

NOTE to Jelena: They don't rig the draw. Anna vs Justine, first round.

NOTE: If Martina and Jennifer show up, they are virtually already in the Quarters. Kim and Venus have some land mines.

NOTE: The top eight seeds are all at least GS finalists. Half of themare multiple GS winners.

Jenn's Quarter - Not exactly an EASY draw, but nobody named Williams, Davenport or Seles til the finals.
16 Meghann Shaughnessy (10) vs. Amelie Mauresmo FRA (7)
16 Jennifer Capriati (1) vs. Iroda Tulyaganova (16)
QF Jennifer Capriati (1) vs. Amelie Mauresmo FRA (7)

Kim's Quarter - Probably the most entertaining early round matchups
1r Henin vs Kournikova - Bummer for the promoters
2r Krasnoroutskaya vs Sanchez-Vicario
16 Clijsters vs Krasnoroutskaya / Sanchez-Vicario winner
16 Henin vs Dementieva - Elena needs to make some noise. This would be a good time.
QF Clijster vs Henin

Martina's Quarter - Piece of cake, til the QF's. And there are a couple old pros in Serena's way so she might not be there waiting.
1r Serena Williams (5) vs Conchi
16 Serena Williams (5) vs Amanda
QF Martina Hingis (3) vs SerenaWillams

Venus's Quarter - She'll be careful with Maggie. Monica's draw is horrible!
1r Monica Seles (8) vs.Patty Schnyder
3r Monica Seles (8) vs Francesca Schiavone (31)
4r Monica Seles (8) vs Sandrine Testud (9)

4r Venus Williams (2) vs. Magdalena Maleeva (13)
QF Venus Williams (2) vs Monica Seles (8)

If seeding holds, (and it won't ... )

QF Jennifer Capriati (1) vs. Amelie Mauresmo FRA (7)
QF Kim Clijsters (4) vs Justine Henin (6)
QF Martina Hingis (3) vs Serena Willams (5)
QF Venus Williams (2) vs Monica Seles (8)

SF Mauresmo vs Clijsters - Just cause Jenn lost early in Sydney. Doesn't mean much. Kim beat Justine at Sydney.
SF Sydney winner vs Venus - Monica has never won against Venus. Venus has never won against OZ.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Well after Serena at UO 2001, it's Seles that has the hardest road ever...this draw is horrible...how can you put so many GS winners in the same half of the draw? Hingis, Seles, Serena, Venus, Conchita and Pierce (6) vs Capriati and ASV (2)...that's unfair but random is random.....

My regret is to see a SF clash between the sisters! Well at least, one of them will reach the final and will win the slam for the other one:) Hope to see Venus in the final, so both sisters can improve their ranking points!!!:bounce:

·
Registered
25,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I hate to say it, but I'm glad they're on the same side of the draw. I want the women's finals to be as high quality tennis as possible, and V vs S doesn't usually deliver that. What I wanted was martina on the other side, not Jenn. I think Martina vs Venus is the final likeliest to be a classic. Also, on the lesser stage of the semis, I think Serena has a better chance to beat Venus.

Clijsters-Capriati is the projected undercard in the semis. That match could go nuclear. I', gonna have a tape ready.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
well I don't care if their matches suck..i just wanna see them in a maximum of finals!

·
Registered
435 Posts
If Monica and Venus meet...watch out!!!!

Only the second match they have played on a surface Monica does well on and Venus doesn't.

(Never played on clay, played at Sydney Olympics at a time when Monica was in very poor form)

Also, there is no chance that injured Schiavone is making the third round.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
I REALLY SEE A SELES VS CAPRIATI CLASH in the FINALS!!!!!

Of course, with Seles Winning!!!!!!

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
I'm starting to love this draw. It's a draw and not a walkover for anybody.

Highlights the strengths in the womens game, and will really sort the proverbial 'men' from the 'boys.

Bring it on!

·
Registered
14,818 Posts
hey volcana, you got a slight mixed up there

martina is the one drawing amanda in the 4th round, not serena :(

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
I can't even look too far past the first round. It's a very competitive draw this year...

Even though Anna has never beaten Justine in their 2 or 3 meetings, I'm going to go out on a limb and pick an upset here. I think Anna is playing well enough to surprise Justine. I'm not basing this on anything but intuition. So I could easily be wrong too.

Hingis has a tough first round. Razzano really pushed her in the fourth round last year. Razzano is slightly injured, but still has the groundies to back up her game. I should expect that Martina will remember how Virginie played last time and will be prepared.

Serena vs Conchita. Tough opening match! Should be an easy win for Serena unless Conchita suddenly finds form and has a burst of inspiration. Conchita hasn't been playing too well coming back from injury. This match will test how well Serena has pulled up from her ankle sprain.

Monica vs Patty. Another good match. Two lefties. Look for Patty to give Monica some problems early on, but Monica should prevail quite easily in the end. Patty isn't ready to cause an upset just yet.

Lucky Venus. She gets a qualifier first up. But it depends which qualifier she gets. Good way to start a Grand Slam campaign for Venus though.

Shaughnessy and Stevenson. Repeat of the Sydney QF match. Will Meghann prevail again or will Alex extract revenge? Smashnova is a possible stumbling block for Amelie as much as Alex could be for Meghann.

Arantxa vs Iva isn't a bad matchup first up. I expect Arantxa to pull through, but Iva is a bit of a wildcard - capable of terrific form or very poor form. Then a possible showdown with Lina for either of them.

·
Registered
12,118 Posts
I also agree with Volcana...

I don't know why so much good players on Venus' draw, and only Arantxa and Iva on Jennifer's....

Are they trying to help Jennifer, to get this title again.... :rolleyes:

Alexandra vs Meghann would be a good first round also.. Alex is really hungry to win Meghann, and Alex can get a win :) (hope so)

Other matches, that I can't lose is Serena vs Conchita, and Anna vs Justine, and the last one, I guess can be a big upset for Anna... As after her game against Serena in Sydney, and Justine's game against Kim, Anna can win, or Juju will take it on three sets

Conchita vs Serena, seems an easy match, but incredibly, Serena usually has problems against Conchi on hardcourts, while Serena defeat Conchi easily in straight sets at Rome, CLAY! 6-2 6-2, and Serena with a problems in her ankle (which I hope she gets better at time for the open :kiss:), can have some troubles, but I expect her to win.
Anyway, a three setter match against Conchita will help Serena to improve her mental skills during it ;)

Venus' situation, I guess she will go to the quarter round without no problems, but I guess Maleeva can make things harder also :eek:, depends on her

Hingis, actually is the toughest draw :p, Serena, Venus and Jennifer in a row (possibly) is bad...

I guess this draw is a second chance for some players or a test for others...

2nd chance :
Seles vs Schiavone on second round

Alex vs Meghann on first

Serena vs Conchita, conchita is hungry for a victory on Serena, can be considarated as a test also

Henin vs Anna, a test for Anna

and etc...

:kiss: good luck for all players!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts