1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Little Miss Impatient

By Michael Winkler
Email this article to a friend

QUESTION: Is it possible to win a grand slam quarter-final 6-2, 6-3 and not feel happy with the world? Answer: Yes, if your name is Martina Hingis.

The No4 seed swept past overmatched Adriana Serra Zanetti in straight sets today, but was less than impressive - and seemed less than impressed. Serra Zanetti is ranked No83 in the world and while she has played well to get this far, she is a limited competitor. Hingis obviously expected to be able to bundle her out in quick order, but the nuggetty Italian contested well.

Advertisement

Hingis was frustrated, evidently believing this would be a short job en route to the real work that awaited her next up against either Monica Seles or Venus Williams. As early as the third game, the three-time Australian Open champ smashed her racquet on the court in frustration and had to replace it. She spent much of the match looking agonised, throwing her head back in disbelief if Serra Zanetti pushed a winner past her, and getting involved in disputes about line calls. When the match ended, she didn't even smile, a rarity indeed, given that her face is predisposed to such an expression.

Certainly Serra Zanetti proved herself a worthy combatant. She pushed the match to 73 minutes, won 59 points to 73, matched Hingis for winners but made marginally more errors. She had only two break points and converted one of them; Hingis had 13 break points and converted four, an unusually low percentage for her.

"I didn't know what to expect," Hingis said afterwards. "She's not such a known player on the [WTA] Tour, [but] she had a great tournament obviously to get into the quarter-finals. I think it was quite a good match for me to get a speedy player. She was very fast, she played very well."

Hingis also played well, but not up to her usual standard. She was surprisingly passive, letting the Italian work her way into points, and not attacking the net the way she had in previous matches. In her previous outing against Amanda Coetzer, Hingis was miraculous. She played then - as she so often does - as if equipped with a secret map. Where other players find brick walls, Hingis discovers cracks, alleys, pathways. A cranny at the net is, for her, a two-lane freeway. A few degrees of angle become a yawning opportunity.

But not today. Today she was content to strafe the baseline, concentrating on deep returns and staying in points. Perhaps there was a letdown factor, meeting such a modestly-credentialed opponent in the quarter-final that was initially seeded to be against Serena Williams. "Normally I'd have to face Serena in the quarter-finals here, so it's kinda nice . . . it's nice to get through it easier than last year," Hingis acknowledged.

Perhaps she is also struggling with her downgraded status in this tournament. Her match was first up on Rod Laver Arena, and began with the stadium less than half-full. "I felt a little slow today, coming out here at 11 [o'clock]," she said. Last week in the interview room she asked "Where is everybody?" struggling to understand why more members of the media weren't more interested in her utterances. Those so inclined could find evidence of arrogance in her demeanour today, which is perhaps why she is no crowd favourite. One was reminded of her famous exchange with Rennae Stubbs after the doubles final here a couple of years ago, and Stubbs sarcastically suggesting that it must be hard for Hingis to cope with being a "mere mortal".

Still, the job got done. She wouldn't be drawn on whom she thought she would play next, but she must surely be preparing for a resumption of hostilities with arch-enemy Williams. "I'll be probably having room service and watch them [Seles and Williams], tonight," she said. "I've played Monica and Venus in the past so I think it'll be a great match to watch. It'll be fun."

Unlike today.

·
Registered
18,112 Posts
opinions are like assholes - everyone's got one. Of course, it's clear that he never liked Martina in the first place.

Why is it that Jenn can have a cranky day and nobody gets on her? But if Marat or Martina get frustrated people are all over them.

btw, Martina was very complimentary to Adriana in her post-match interview.

·
Registered
15,270 Posts
This Italian kept Hingis deep at the baseline, where as Amanda couldn't get her balls passed the Service line. She also hit with much more pace and was quite surprising.:) She played alot better then Amanda Coetzer.

This article though is so quite rude.

·
Banned
16,998 Posts
Very very rude of him..treufreund has a point..

·
Registered
7,401 Posts
Marti questioned only some of the line calls but never argued with the umpire. After the umpire gives his confirmation, Marti respects the decision and continue to play the game.

The author of the aforementioned article just wanted to use Marti's popularity.hehehe

Marti got the job done that's the most important thing.:p

·
Registered
7,401 Posts
Interview

<font color=gold>
MARTINA HINGIS defeated ADRIANA SERRA ZANETTI 6-2 6-3

Q. Martina, how does it feel to be in front of this girl you haven't met for, six or seven years, I don't know?

A. Well, I've seen her on the Tour before. I mean she was - she kind of started on the Tour in 94. The announcer said it. So she's pretty much kind of grew up the same way I did. She's, like, different the level of the Grand Slam I saw her. But it was kind of nice to see somebody shorter on the other side, that's for sure.

Q. Martina, this time last year you had a run of tough matches coming into the Final. How do you compare your fitness and form now to last year?

A. Well, I mean, nobody - I'd had to face Serena in the Quarter-finals here at this point; but it's kind of nice having somebody you don't know that well. It's not almost the most exciting thing, because you don't know what to expect exactly. So you go out on the court and you don't know, you know. She had some great points. I mean, those down the lines and, you know, those little angles, and she's a quick player, so she definitely deserved to be in the Quarter-finals. I mean, it's nice to get through it easier than last year, yes.

Q. Martina, did the hard run last year take its toll on you in the Final, do you think?

A. Oh, definitely, it did, I think. I think it's part of the reason, sure. But, you know, if you reach the Finals here you try to give it all. I mean, the Finals is the Finals. It's not like Jennifer had the easier way to go through it. She also had to beat Monica and Lindsay, so those are not two players which are nobody. So, I mean, it's just - she played very well at that stage and she won the tournament. So, you know, hopefully, I get another chance to be in the Finals.

Q. Are you a better player this year than last year?

A. Definitely, I think all some of us somehow improve because, you know, the style of all these girls, everybody is improving constantly. So if you stay stale, you're going to, you know, drop out of there. You have to automatically improve if want to stay at that level. So I think I've reached some stage that I haven't been before.

Q. Martina, Adriana played pretty well against you. What do you think? Were you expecting such a tough opposition, at the beginning at least, when she made 21 quick points against you, which is not easy?

A. She definitely made me run, that's for sure. She made me earn the Semi-final spot. I saw her on TV a little bit. I knew that she has this, you know, fast flat game. I mean, she had great angles. I knew that she plays like this, kind of; but didn't know, you know, how she's going to react toward my game. I felt like a little slow today, because yesterday was all day waiting around; today, come out here at 11. I mean, that's no excuse. It definitely was the same for both. But she definitely has a good game, yeah.

Q. You broke the racquet on the third game, 0-30 - a little desperation?

A. I mean, things happen all the time. So it was just a little unfortunate at that stage. I was maybe a little frustrated. But I came back and won that game, so that felt good.

Q. Will you watch the match tonight, between Seles and Williams?

A. Of course I will. I mean, it's definitely an interesting match-up. I mean, I don't know when they last played each other. But they both are playing pretty well, I mean with Venus winning the last match so comfortably, and Monica kind of cruising through the matches. So I think they're both in pretty good shape. But, you know, I'm happy to be already through it so I'm able to watch it.

Q. Who do you think is going to win?

A. Oh, it's difficult to judge. I mean, Venus definitely has the game. I mean, everybody put her as the favourite at the beginning of the tournament, so Monica has nothing to lose basically. But it depends on how Venus is going to play, I think. It's just, you know, yeah, the better will win. We will see.

Q. Martina, in the WTA notes today Serra Zanetti talks about playing you when she was 14, you were 10; do you remember that at all?

A. Yeah, I mention it the other day. Did she say something?

Q. Yeah, it was just in - - -

Q. She said she didn't want to lose against such a young girl, playing against you?

A. What else did she say?

Q. And that she lost.

A. Then ten years later, we're back on Centre Court at Australian Open, so that - - -

Q. Do you have any preference, Seles or Williams?

A. I mean, it will be great, both of them. I mean, Monica is definitely one of the best players, especially here at this tournament. Like, she won four times and has a great record, only two losses - one against me, so that was good. But Venus, that will be great match again, Semi-finals Grand Slam. There's basically no pick, no choice.

Q. Martina, would you please tell me also what is the biggest weapon of Serra Zanetti, in your opinion? What is her biggest weakness?

A. Speed. I mean, that's her biggest weapon, I'd say. You know, she has no weak shot. She can pretty much play everything. It's just sometimes, you know, maybe she should just sometimes come in a little bit more, hit those swinging volleys she was afraid of attacking, and so she had to wait always one more. She gave sometimes me a little bit too much time. But other than that - I mean, she served very well for a little girl when she was concentrating; but later on, I started reading her game a little bit better. But sometimes it's hard to tell why players aren't better than they are, because she definitely has the game.

Q. Martina, after being out of competition for a couple of months, because of injury, then winning Sydney, and then playing really well here in Melbourne, do you feel ready for the Semi-final?

A. Oh, for sure. I mean, this is what people, I mean players like me wait for, you know, big occasions, and the Semi-finals of a Grand Slam, hopefully Finals, you know. That's the time that you train for and what you work on.

Q. Some other players say that an injury can help you because you are forced to rest. Does it work that way with you?

A. Yeah. It was also nice that it was almost the end of the season. I only missed out on two tournaments. So it wasn't like I missed out on half of the season, or something. So it was like great timing at that point, I could say. Sometimes it's nice, definitely, to - it's not that it's forced, but you have time to regroup and just relax and then go hundred per cent behind everything.

Q. You have your Doubles match after that. Do you have any which you are concentrate on, the Doubles or Singles. Or you can be, do both of them?

A. I think the first three years I played her I won both, so it was always nice. First I won the Doubles, and then the next day the Singles. So that will definitely be the goal of - I mean that's the goal of playing, is to win; so I think, with Anna, we have the great chance to do it again and, if not, I think - definitely, the priority is Singles, but just to win is a goal.

Q. So if you win today the Doubles match, you are going to play against the Japanese players, Asagoe and Fujiwara. Do you know about them?

A. The first is which?

Q. Asagoe.

A. Yeah, I know her. I mean, I don't know the other, but I know Asagoe. Japanese players are usually playing very flat and, you know, very quick, and also good hands. I mean, they are quick around the net. But they don't have all the power. But I think me and Anna, we don't have to be afraid of nobody out there. So we just go out there and play our game.

Q. Martina, do you think this straight sets victory has given our friend, Rios, any more ammunition?

A. What is ammunition?

Q. More to talk about?

A. Oh. Well, I'm here to play tennis, and my sport is tennis. And so if you have any more questions about my game it's all right; otherwise, I'm out of here. No, it's great to see him play well again.

Q. Yeah. I wasn't trying to get you into a controversy. I was just kidding.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
This is a BAD acticle, and the author is a $hithead. Simple as that.

I agree with Jorin, Marti didn't argue with the umpire.
and I'm agreeing with treufreund, everyone gets on Martina's back if she's having a bad day.

Oh but after Martina finished her match, she went to sit down and buried her face in her towel. She was so disappointed with her own performance. I was thinking, the poor girl. She was very relieved to get it finished.

And just cos she looks to improve, that means she's self-assured?

And her "I felt a little slow today, coming out here at 11" remark was taken in a completely different context.

And whats up with
Last week in the interview room she asked "Where is everybody?" struggling to understand why more members of the media weren't more interested in her utterances
Just cos she's asking if she has to humour any more annoying, prodding, baiting reporters, she's arrogant?

and lastly, compared to Stubbs, she IS a goddess.

·
Registered
7,125 Posts
This is a dig:

When the match ended, she didn't even smile, a rarity indeed, given that her face is predisposed to such an expression
Yeooww.

·
Banned
692 Posts
WHAT A JERK!!!!

·
Banned
2,029 Posts
"Nuggetty"

Sincere question. Nuggetty- that's a new one. I like learning "new" words. Is this an Aussie-ism?

·
Registered
32,932 Posts
Come on M&M!!! Win the AO title and prove them wrong!

Keep on Winning Marat and Martina!!!

·
Registered
21,059 Posts
WOW....another writer to ignore!:D

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
You don't care about that..... pfff.
The guy is a total moron.. the important thing is that MARTI is on semifinals and she will be the champion :eek:!

GO MARTI!

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
I agree, that article sounds a little biased. I'm not a huge Hingis fan, but respect her and her game and her accomplishments. This writer sounds like he was really looking HARD for something to be negative about. Hingis has been playing flawless tennis, so maybe she has a right to be frustrated at being challenged. The way he was writing, I would have expected the score to be much closer, although I guess the match was a bit tight.
Hingis vs. Seles will be very interesting.
Ruth in Phily PA USA

·
Premium Member
27,114 Posts
Well that article got one thing right - she got the job done.

Congratulations to Martina for reaching the semis :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
IDIOTIC!!

The wirter himself is absolutely a MORON! :mad:

Why people always love to pick on Martina and ranting how poor ungracious her demeanour was in the RG 1999 final!!:( Since then, everytime when Martina smashed her racket onto the ground or outburst, they would always critize on her on-court behaviour and keep saying bulls like she's spoiled or she's a little bitchy brat. What about now? Now the writer has accused Martina because he thought that she didn't smile after she had won her match. He considered that as arrogance. What on earth is he talking about? :mad:

Martina is frustrated and really disppointed with her shabby perfermance, so she felt so distressed that she could barely make a smile. DON'T TELL ME IT'S NOT REASONABLE ENOUGH! YOU FOOL!!:mad: :mad: Also, she's not an ENTERTAINER, she is a TENNIS PLAYER, her job is to play her tennis, it's not her responsibility to amuse/please the crowd.

What's wrong with Martina? She's just a gal. I'm pretty sure that she has changed herself to a "GOOD/OBEDIENT/WELL-BEHAVED" gal as being compared to those time when when she's young. Every teen has his/her rebellious time, so did Martina, an ordinary kid except her achievemant in tennis. But I think if she outbursts sometimes, she'll be more relieved after the tantrums and perform a lot more better later on in the match. This means she still got passion and she wants to do better as she is wanting more.

Will all those fuss-makers (reporters) Give her a break? It's enough for the girl already. She really has suffered a lot these years and I know she has learnt her lesson very well. I PLEAD YOU. :sad:

Nat-Mart :sad:

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Opinions are like arseholes: everyone has a right to them.

This guy had an angle, so what?

I like Martina and yes, her petulance over the years has been replaced by a <i> lot </i> of maturity. I haven't seen the match, but it would not surprise me in the least that Martina <i> did </i> expect to have everything her own way, and got frustrated.

That's Martina. I don't think this guy is being unusually unkind. I mean if you get upset by something like this, perhaps you should retreat back to your ivory towers.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Little Miss Impatient

By Michael Winkler
Email this article to a friend

QUESTION: Is it possible to win a grand slam quarter-final 6-2, 6-3 and not feel happy with the world? Answer: Yes, if your name is Martina Hingis.

The No4 seed swept past overmatched Adriana Serra Zanetti in straight sets today,
Hingis is seeded third. If the writer can't get such a basic fact right, one has to question the other things that are in the article.

--Ted

1 - 20 of 21 Posts