Tennis Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
9 - Monica Seles (should be at least 15)
5 - Serena Williams
4 - Venus Williams
3 - Lindsay Davenport
3 - Jennifer Capriati
2 - Mary Pierce
1 - Conchita Martinez
1 - Iva Majoli

Only 8 former grandslam champions. :eek: This just proves how hard it is to win a grandslam.

We have many other top players who have a shot in the next 2 years if they play well, but they haven't proven themselves yet.

0 - Amelie Mauresmo
0 - Justine Henin-Hardenne
0 - Kim Clijsters
0 - Jelena Dokic
0 - Chanda Rubin
0 - Daniela Hantuchova
0 - Anna Kournikova :angel:

Anyways only 8 former grandslam champions playing... :eek:

Reactions: galadriel

·
Sabatini lover Forever
15,213 Posts
How many Grand Slam Champions were when Monica was number one? :p

·
Banned
19,528 Posts
Arantxa
Steffi
Martina
Gabriella
Hana
Monica
Mary
Conchita
Austin (for some tournaments)

·
Banned
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
anabel said:
Arantxa
Steffi
Martina
Gabriella
Hana
Monica
Mary
Conchita
Austin (for some tournaments)
also Chrissie.

·
Registered
427 Posts
When Monica was #1, Conchita & Mary had not yet won a slam. Plus, Evert & Hana were retired & Tracy was retired or close to it playing just a couple events.

So really, there were JUST 5 when Monica was #1, unless you guys can think of more

Arantxa
Steffi
Martina
Gabriela
Monica

·
Banned
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My point is: It's hard to win a slam. Btw, Steffi and Navratilova are worth 10 times more then all the slam champions currently playing (excluding Monica).

·
Registered
34,273 Posts
Myskina Lina said:
When Monica was #1, Conchita & Mary had not yet won a slam. Plus, Evert & Hana were retired & Tracy was retired or close to it playing just a couple events.

So really, there were JUST 5 when Monica was #1, unless you guys can think of more

Arantxa
Steffi
Martina
Gabriela
Monica
when Seles was co-number one with Graff in 95/96 Conchi already was wimby chamion, same for Mary Pierce

·
Registered
427 Posts
I am talking of when she was THE #1, before she was out of the game & half of what she was.

Only 5 GS winners is a good thing, it says they were winning more, for longer.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Martina Navratilova is still an active player (according to the official WTA site), although she has no singles ranking.
She has indicated she would like to enter singles in some grass court tournaments this summer.

Reactions: schris

·
Banned
19,528 Posts
Myskina Lina said:
I am talking of when she was THE #1, before she was out of the game & half of what she was.

Only 5 GS winners is a good thing, it says they were winning more, for longer.
And i was talking of when she was #1, which was the question... :rolleyes:

·
Banned
7 Posts
Winning a grandslam is pretty tough and you have to be consistent in your game, something that top players must have throughout their career :)

·
Sabatini lover Forever
15,213 Posts
Myskina Lina said:

Arantxa
Steffi
Martina
Gabriela
Monica
I was going to say that exactly :)

Myskina Lina you understood my question, i wanted to point out that when Seles was 1 there were fewer players winning slams than now. (although Serena does not think like that for a year now :p).
I was afraid to ask on a PRE-Stabbing period :sad: but that was the question

·
Registered
17,731 Posts
What! Winning a Grand Slam is hard? Wow I never knew that.

How about how many doubles GS winners there are playing at the momment, I think it would be a few more, but it would be interesting to see though.

·
Registered
427 Posts
anabel said:
And i was talking of when she was #1, which was the question... :rolleyes:

I wasn't correcting you or I would have said so or put you in quotes. It was obvious you were using the co-#1 rank & the true #1 rank. Like I said, I wasn't. No crime in that. :rolleyes:

:)

·
Registered
427 Posts
petosp said:
I was going to say that exactly :)

Myskina Lina you understood my question, i wanted to point out that when Seles was 1 there were fewer players winning slams than now. (although Serena does not think like that for a year now :p).
I was afraid to ask on a PRE-Stabbing period :sad: but that was the question

No prob :)

I never liked the idea of having co-#1's but I'm very glad they did it for Monica, because she deserved it. And you couldn't really take Steffi's ranking away either.

·
Banned
4,078 Posts
Actually, I think that's a pretty fair figure of champions still playing. Maybe even a little higher than in past years.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts