Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
I think this is great for the wta ! It gives less fortunate and young players a chance to play on tour and earn ranking points and experience . I don’t get why people on here are constantly complaining about weak draws . Everyone has to start somewhere.
Where is Mertens when she is needed.
Did you guys switch accounts? I'm confused.

·
★ ★ ★ ★ ★
11,492 Posts
The problem with this draw is there’s actually no young up and coming players in that this tournament could be a nice springboard for. Besides Parrizas Dias, who’s been great this year and Kozlova who’s returning from injury, most of these have been slumping around ITFs for years and will likely go back to that as soon as the tournament ends and the draws get back to being “normal”.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
I think this is great for the wta ! It gives less fortunate and young players a chance to play on tour and earn ranking points and experience . I don’t get why people on here are constantly complaining about weak draws . Everyone has to start somewhere.

·
Registered
11,255 Posts
It's definitely a weak draw, nobody would argue otherwise. But i'm not sure what people were expecting while the Olympic games are literally happening at the same time? 😂 What, Osaka and Barty should skip that and come to Gdynia? High ranked players who missed the cut like Muchova should come here to expend their energy and test their mettle on Polish clay when the summer hard court season and remaining slam are coming up?

That's 64+ of the top 110(+) players in singles (and more singles players who just made the doubles draw) who are in Tokyo. For those that seemingly do not know, the Olympic games only occur every 4 years, so next year this event can expect a (somewhat) stronger entry list. Please stop acting dense. Although perhaps it isn't acting.

I am also rooting for Kawa, I liked her tennis at the Jurmala Slam a few years ago. Although I can't say i'm super invested in the tournament. The location/court looks really nice though.

·
Registered
13,024 Posts
What's happening? Bipolar leanings...

Reactions: Adam Nergal Darski

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
i like watching itf players from good camera angles too. it is like getting to know them from a closer distance. There were only 5-6 seeds in Gydnia and none of them were clay or in form players.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I can't.
Now I’m aware the olympics are coming , and I’m also aware 2021 has been the worst year ever for tennis , but what’s up with literally 3 wta tournaments this week and none of them having wta level players ? Where are the mertens and Fiona Ferro’s of the world when you need them ?

·
Registered
35,873 Posts
The weaker field could have been nice if a young player came through and took advantage of it, but it's now just a bunch of ITF journeywomen battling for a title. It's a shame because this looks like a nice venue and they're getting good crowd support especially considering the field.

·
Registered
35,637 Posts
It's definitely a weak draw, nobody would argue otherwise. But i'm not sure what people were expecting while the Olympic games are literally happening at the same time? 😂 What, Osaka and Barty should skip that and come to Gdynia? High ranked players who missed the cut like Muchova should come here to expend their energy and test their mettle on Polish clay when the summer hard court season and remaining slam are coming up?

That's 64+ of the top 110(+) players in singles (and more singles players who just made the doubles draw) who are in Tokyo. For those that seemingly do not know, the Olympic games only occur every 4 years, so next year this event can expect a (somewhat) stronger entry list. Please stop acting dense. Although perhaps it isn't acting.

I am also rooting for Kawa, I liked her tennis at the Jurmala Slam a few years ago. Although I can't say i'm super invested in the tournament. The location/court looks really nice though.
It's still bizarre that none of the higher ranked players skipping the Olympics decided to play this week (many did on the ATP), and that six of the strongest contenders in the original Gdynia draw withdrew after it was made. And then the few remaining accomplished players all flopped.

The WTA also should have been smart enough to have either this event or Palermo be next week, instead of two 250s the same week and then none the following week.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts