Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
20,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tennis-Injured Venus pulls out of California tournaments

PALO ALTO, California, July 21 (Reuters) - Venus Williams has pulled out of forthcoming tournaments in San Diego and Los Angeles due an abdominal injury that she re-aggravated at Wimbledon, WTA Tour officials said on Monday.

The fourth-ranked Williams -- who lost in the Wimbledon final to her sister, Serena -- first sustained an abdominal tear when playing a tournament in Warsaw in April.

Venus is the defending champion in San Diego, which begins July 28. Serena, who pulled out of this week's tournament in Palo Alto with a knee injury, will replace her in the San Diego draw.

Serena and Venus were both scheduled to play Los Angeles, which begins on Aug. 4

Venus Williams has yet to make a decision as to whether she will play the tournament in Toronto the following week.

07/21/03 17:28 ET

Copyright 2003 Reuters Limited.

·
Registered
24,565 Posts
This is going to be a long, uninspired-from-a-tennis-perspective summer.

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
She is going to be ranked Low for the Us open. We're talking five to 8 i think.

·
Adrenaline junkie
24,878 Posts
Volcana said:
In opposite, we'll see a lot of new stars in finals, players who will et their breakthrough. Capriati might finally win an event. Davenport might win something on home sale after such a long break. My Russians will definitely do well. And the #1 Clijsters-Serena duel will crown this summer season. Not bad at all.

·
Adrenaline junkie
24,878 Posts
Cybelle Darkholme said:
She is going to be ranked Low for the Us open. We're talking five to 8 i think.
This is Williams conspiracy, isn't it clear? Watch her being drawn to play Kimmy in quarterfinals of the Open, and kill Kim's chances for #1 by beating her.

·
Registered
20,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Lindsay withdrew form Stanford this week and it isn't certain that she will defend her semifinalist points from San Diego next week. Amelie is too far behind Venus to gain anything and she is only playing the Candian Open (where she is the defending chamiopn and Venus is scheduled to play) and Pilot Pen (where Venus is the defending champion). Venus looks safe at number four at the moment.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
This is sad. She is becoming the Janet Jackson and Madonna of the tennis world. One album, every three years and never hear from them til then. In Venus' case, her albums and greatest hits are now grand slam.....she don't release any singles anymore......oh well.

·
Adrenaline junkie
24,878 Posts
maccardel said:
This is sad. She is becoming the Janet Jackson and Madonna of the tennis world. One album, every three years and never hear from them til then. In Venus' case, her albums and greatest hits are now grand slam.....she don't release any singles anymore......oh well.
but true fans with self-respect would not buy singles anyway..

·
Registered
6,631 Posts
ys said:
In opposite, we'll see a lot of new stars in finals, players who will et their breakthrough. Capriati might finally win an event. Davenport might win something on home sale after such a long break. My Russians will definitely do well. And the #1 Clijsters-Serena duel will crown this summer season. Not bad at all.
which seems the only way you can get a different winner now a days. with the williamses out of the picture.

with that said, is this the only way others can get to the top? they seem to not be able to "go through" venus and serena. they have to have a lot of help, directly from venus and serena :)

·
Chionophile
40,186 Posts
maccardel said:
Oh please Venus doesn't do cosmetic surgery and she is not a slut.

How about Whitney Houston?

·
Adrenaline junkie
24,878 Posts
SerenaSlam said:
which seems the only way you can get a different winner now a days. with the williamses out of the picture.

with that said, is this the only way others can get to the top? they seem to not be able to "go through" venus and serena. they have to have a lot of help, directly from venus and serena :)
I would put it into diffferent prospective. It's very difficult for a young player looking for a breakthrough to make that breakthrough by winning a big tournament with a Williams playing. But, after winning similar tournament without Williamses, they might get a confidence boost good enough to challenge Williamses subsequently. One step at a time is always easier.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
ys said:
but true fans with self-respect would not buy singles anyway..
If the single contains a hit or a remix, like "hot in miami (my nasdaq dream version)" or "my diamond racket- the belgium remix", then of course I will be buying........I have no kinda respect at all......I am loose.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Sam L said:
Oh please Venus doesn't do cosmetic surgery and she is not a slut.

How about Whitney Houston?
? When did I say this? Venus and Whitney are my favs so why would I say something like that about them Sam?

·
Banned
1,735 Posts
Why are people surprised? :confused:

Venus is hurt. :sad:

She said in her interview at Wimby that she was probably going to need at least four weeks to recover and then she has to try and regain some tennis form with her serve.

She'll be back. :)

·
Registered
6,952 Posts
Volcana said:
Agreed. Venus, Lindsay, Serena, and Monica keep withdrawing from all these summer events. Unfortunately this season on the US hardcourts will be owned by the Belgians. Capriati and Rubin can shake things up as well if they're in form and have the belief, but.... Ugh, this is so disappointing! :sad:

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Just too bad! I heard such injuries can take 4 to 6 months to heal completely. :(
I have a bad feeling about this one.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.