Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
6,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last I checked--30 posts. twice, someone challenged for a source--none given. No word on whether she will play doubles.

Gut feeling----she probably is out, and probably will not play doubles.

Lately, when it comes to Maria--several days of no news is what you get before they finally give the bad news.

·
Registered
4,489 Posts
think is the best decision. She's not ready yet!
I agree. I think that Maria`s recent doubles match was just to get her some match play. Hopefully we`ll get to see her back playing singles sometime in the clay court season.

·
Registered
6,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am not convinced that she really wants to play tennis, any more. It takes a lot of drive, and physically exhaustive training. She is independently wealthy, and says she enjoyed herself---maybe she should just play world team tennis like Kournikova.

I am not thinking straight.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
she need a psy,
she isn't the best friends of other players and i'm sure the other players will make fun of her if she lost ealy.
now she is n°23 and she is not in strength position.

·
Donna DOnna DOonnaaa
9,977 Posts
If she can't train or play more than 4/5 consecutive days, we can't expect her to play such a big tournament.

Hoping for the clay season now :)

·
Registered
10,989 Posts
Well, you don't need a magic crystal ball to know she isn't going to play anyway :p

Let's just hope she plays another doubles match.

·
Banned
15,787 Posts
If she can't train or play more than 4/5 consecutive days, we can't expect her to play such a big tournament.

Hoping for the clay season now :)
True, but if she really won't play Miami then I count the clay season out as well.
Clay is much harder for Masha and I don't think she really enjoys that too much:lol:
Maybe she'll play some doubles in Rome and/or Madrid and maybe gives it a shot at singles in Paris, but I wouldn't expect her to.

I'm counting on Birmingham now:)

·
Registered
10,989 Posts
I am not convinced that she really wants to play tennis, any more. It takes a lot of drive, and physically exhaustive training. She is independently wealthy, and says she enjoyed herself---maybe she should just play world team tennis like Kournikova.

I am not thinking straight.
I really wanna shake you around a little and say; Get IT TOgeTheR!!

Of course she doesn't wana play anymore, it's obvious because she played a doubles match, is practicing her butt off and looked extremely happy to be back at a tournament.....oh wait! That actually sounds like she does care, now doesn't it ;)

People should be expecting not to see Maria back until after Roland Garros I'm starting to think as well, think about it. Missing Roland Garros would give her a protected ranking and seeding for Wimbledon, and after that it's hardcourt season only.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
i think she will come to play RG. it's the only slam she never win. everyone know she very want it
she can take care the shoulder (not injury)until RG and then plays it.

her injury can be more worse in the future.
so if she very want the RG trophy and if she is ready and very focus. she can sacrifice the shoulder this year to win the title and never come back.
if she does that she must be very sure because it could be the last chance
it's sad to say that but i'm sure she is able to sacrify the shoulder to win RG

·
Registered
10,989 Posts
i think she will come to play RG. it's the only slam she never win. everyone know she very want it
she can take care the shoulder (not injury)until RG and then plays it.

her injury can be more worse in the future.
so if she very want the RG trophy and if she is ready and very focus. she can sacrifice the shoulder this year to win the title and never come back.
if she does that she must be very sure because it could be the last chance
it's sad to say that but i'm sure she is able to sacrify the shoulder to win RG

Sacrifice her shoulder just to play RG?! WTH?!

She is 22 when RG comes around again, she has plenty of changes, especially seeing as she made the QF twice and already the SF with an injured shoulder.
Coming back there destroying her shoulder when she is no way near the favorite for the title in the first place seems like the dumbest thing you could possibly do.

This is her most serious injury in her career, if anything we should be happy she is taking her time to recover. She’s not the only has who has been side-lined for so long because of an injury, she will be back eventually.

·
Writer of Stuff
8,734 Posts
The reality is that it has only been eight months since her injury and five (?) months since her surgery.

For those of you doubting, ask yourselves this question--when a pro athlete has a torn ACL/MCL, how long does it take them to get back in action after the surgery? Almost always a year. A rotator cuff tendon is no different from that standpoint.

Maria is back on the court. That is a good thing. It will speed up her recovery. But judging from her off court photos, she has lost a ton of muscle. That's to be expected. No doctor in his or her right mind is going to clear a shoulder surgery patient to lift weights for months after surgery. THe resulting muscle loss means that her shoulder will fatigue much easier until she strengthens it. That means she is not up to playing a competitive tennis match, let alone the 5 in a row needed to win a title.

She is not physically ready to come back to competitive tennis, and I think she learned that for herself by testing herself in doubles at IW. She needs to put in the work on the court and in the gym too. The way the rotator cuff gets stronger is not by resting it but rather by using it. It's a little ironic in this fashion. My shoulder hurt like a b*tch for a good three months after surgery, but the doctor and PT were both insistent that if I worked through the pain in therapy, it would make the rotator cuff stronger and eventually the pain would go away. And they were right. It took a good nine months, and even now it still aches a little if I overdo it, but they were right.

We all want her to come back, but need to realize that this was a catastrophic injury for a tennis pro. You couldn't have a worse one if you are a tennis player. She needs to make absolutely certain that her shoulder is not only healed but strong enough to withstand the normal training and playing routine. It takes time to build up to that.

·
Registered
29,563 Posts
Not surprising. I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't see her until Eastbourne now.

·
Registered
35,934 Posts
This has me starting to wonder. I know of no other pro athlete that has taken so long to come back from the type of shoulder problem and surgery Sharapova had. That includes NBA players, NFL QBs and MLB pitchers. Like other pros, Sharapova has the funds to get the best treatment and conditioning in the world and given that . . well, like I said, I've started to wonder.

·
Registered
6,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No! No! don't shake me. I typed it that post after a really long day, (st. patrick's day), I was not drinking--just tired. I decided to go ahead and post it, and then get some sleep.

The part that does still make sense to me---is the way we get news about Maria's condition. We get a report of who has replaced her in Miami from an unnamed source---and nothing else.

I would love to hear the source was misinformed--I get the feeling it is not.

·
Banned
15,787 Posts
This has me starting to wonder. I know of no other pro athlete that has taken so long to come back from the type of shoulder problem and surgery Sharapova had. That includes NBA players, NFL QBs and MLB pitchers. Like other pros, Sharapova has the funds to get the best treatment and conditioning in the world and given that . . well, like I said, I've started to wonder.
Maybe it's something different, because Masha is a woman. NBA players, NFL QBs and MLB pitchers are most likely men, so my guess is that this probably has something to do with it. Also, I'm not that familiar with those sports, but it's all team sports, so they won't have to play 2-3 hours non stop, 5 times a week, 1-on-1 like a tennis player...

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Maybe it's the fact that her shoulder are differently shaped :lol: I'm sorry I don't want to be mean or anything but she does have broadly shoulders :shrug:.

Who knows, maybe she made a few mistakes too many and has to face the consequences know.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Maybe we'll get doubles at Miami and if not she'll return early April...that would be nice :] A birthday present for me tehe. I really hope she's getting back into shape and I have no doubt that she's lost that passion that we see.

Please be optimistic with me lol!

·
Registered
6,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Of course she doesn't wana play anymore, it's obvious because she played a doubles match, is practicing her butt off and looked extremely happy to be back at a tournament.....oh wait! That actually sounds like she does care, now doesn't it ;)
OK. I get your point. And maybe you can refute another line of thinking just as easily. I do not mind having faulty thought processes pointed out.

I wonder if Maria is tired of being so famous.

No more doodles. Very few pictures. No shots of her at airports, restaurants, or stores. She enjoyed some of the privacy---made the point about Christmas. No longer close to Camilla, who obviously enjoys being in the limelight. Crazy stuff said by crazy guy back in December.

Constant gossip about who said what about whom on the tennis circuit. constant speculation about friendships, both platonic and romantic.

All that could be wearing on her---making practicing hard in private the easier part of getting ready to go again.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts