Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With no SERENA WILLIAMS to deal with at the U.S. Open, Kim Clijsters should be well rested and ready to claim her first Grand Slam to go along with her #1 ranking.

Close loses to SERENA and Justine Henin-Harden brought up talk of choking, but a win at the Open could finally put these negatives to rest.

However, not getting this title, with a weak draw, no SERENA and no injuries could, once again, bring up whispers of choking and a less than worthy right to the top tour ranking for Clijsters.
 

·
Chionophile
Joined
·
40,073 Posts
Actually, shouldn't it be No SERENA, no excuses for VENUS?

I mean really she's lost 5 GS finals to her, and you guys keep saying that she'd have all those slams if it weren't for Serena (she may well). But I think Venus has a lot more to prove than Kim (whom according to most of you is just a seat warmer anyway). So which is it?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,448 Posts
gawd!i really hope kim wins just to shut up the haterz!

justine winning would also put to rest who is better this year, serena or justine.

venus winning would mean confidence for the upcoming slams.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
821 Posts
TeeRexx said:
With no SERENA WILLIAMS to deal with at the U.S. Open, Kim Clijsters should be well rested and ready to claim her first Grand Slam to go along with her #1 ranking.

Close loses to SERENA and Justine Henin-Harden brought up talk of choking, but a win at the Open could finally put these negatives to rest.

However, not getting this title, with a weak draw, no SERENA and no injuries could, once again, bring up whispers of choking and a less than worthy right to the top tour ranking for Clijsters.
You are one of the most typical Williams fans I'm ahamed of as another Williams fan.
 
  • Like
Reactions: ans

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,577 Posts
No excuses for Venus too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25,212 Posts
Sam L said:
Actually, shouldn't it be No SERENA, no excuses for VENUS?
Why? Venus has already won 4 slams. She doesn't need to prove she can win one.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,167 Posts
CamilleVidann said:
You are one of the most typical Williams fans I'm ahamed of as another Williams fan.

I'm proud of you T! Keep up the good posting.

Venus don't have to prove herself. Kim must prove she's worthy of the No. 1 ranking.

Period.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19,687 Posts
Volcana said:
Why? Venus has already won 4 slams. She doesn't need to prove she can win one.
Well the past five of the last six slams she made it into the finals but couldn't win BECAUSE of SERENA. This was only the case with Kim once. Why is there a correlation with Kim winning a Grand Slam and Serena's presence in the Slam? There is a bigger problem with Venus not being able to attain another Grand Slam since 2001 because of Serena's pressence than with Kim not having won one. Keep in mind that Kim has only had to face Serena once in a Grand Slam and Venus in the last 104 weeks, 6 times - and only won 1 and that was in the 2001 US Open.

If it's about winning a Grand Slam, then this should not be the title of this thread because there is no point in dragging Serena into as if she is the biggest factor that Kim can't win a Slam. Clearly Serena is the biggest factor that Venus hasn't won a Slam since 2001.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This thread came up because as soon as SERENA withdrew, Kim was declared as the odds on favorite to take the title by some analyst and fans.

So seeing as Kim is healthy, has no JHH or VENUS in her half, there should be no excuses for the #1 to show that she is #1 indeed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,909 Posts
Mauresmo will shut down Clijsters chances - It's Amélies time to shine and the draw has been kind this time!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,616 Posts
If Venus was healthy like last year coming into the Open then she would have something to prove.. right now.. we will see after the 1st week.. If Venus is on fire and survive going into week 2.. Then I can start saying she is the fav, but right now, I would say the fav would be clijster.. though I wouldn't be suprised if she crash before the qf.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,992 Posts
mauresmofan said:
Mauresmo will shut down Clijsters chances - It's Amélies time to shine and the draw has been kind this time!
yes, I'm a bit afraid of the mauresmo-kim match actually, it might be tough for Kim although amélie doesn't seem to be quite fit (didn't she lose in an early round last week or a few weeks ago?). Hope kim will pull through.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
shap - Kim is the #1 ranked player and favorite to win this slam, not an injured VENUS.

Clijsters has been predicted to win a slam since she played against SERENA in the 99 Open.

Time for Kim to show that she can win the big one.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25,212 Posts
shap_half said:
Clearly Serena is the biggest factor that Venus hasn't won a Slam since 2001.
Absolutely. And it's still irrelevant. Venus is still in the record books regardless. She's got her slams, her Olympic golds, Fed Cup, her place in tennis history. She can add to the legacy if she likes, but if she never wins another slam, she still had a career very few players match. That's the advantage multi-GS winners like Lindsay and Jenn and Venus carry into GS tournaments. They've got the confidence that comes of knowing they've won enough GS titles that there's NO doubt about their ability.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,943 Posts
Mauresmo might not be consistant enough to take Kim out. Amelie would have to win some easy points on her serve, and take some chances.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,274 Posts
shap_half said:
Well the past five of the last six slams she made it into the finals but couldn't win BECAUSE of SERENA. This was only the case with Kim once. Why is there a correlation with Kim winning a Grand Slam and Serena's presence in the Slam? There is a bigger problem with Venus not being able to attain another Grand Slam since 2001 because of Serena's pressence than with Kim not having won one. Keep in mind that Kim has only had to face Serena once in a Grand Slam and Venus in the last 104 weeks, 6 times - and only won 1 and that was in the 2001 US Open.

If it's about winning a Grand Slam, then this should not be the title of this thread because there is no point in dragging Serena into as if she is the biggest factor that Kim can't win a Slam. Clearly Serena is the biggest factor that Venus hasn't won a Slam since 2001.

Well one can also argue that Kim couldn't even make it to more slam finals because of being beat in the semis and quarters and thus has even more to prove. I mean if you can't even make it to a final and your the number one player in the world that says something.

Also Venus may have lost those finals, just like kim lost the french, but at least she was IN those finals to lose as opposed to all the other players who went out.

justine beat kim in french
venus beat kim in wimbledon
serena beat kim in aussieland
momo beat kim in usopen

clearly as the new number one player in the world without the best player in the world playing then kim should win this title.

I'll throw my cheers for venus, then rubin, then lindsay, then jen.
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top