Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
11,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
WTA event headed for Qatar

September 4, 2003
SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. (AP) -- The former State Farm Women's Tennis Classic has been sold to the Qatar Tennis Federation and will be played in Doha, Qatar, in 2004, an IMG official said Wednesday.

The sale leaves Arizona with one world-class tennis event -- the Arizona Men's Tennis Championships scheduled for March 1-7.

``We think the move to Qatar provides new options for women's tennis,'' said Peter Tatum, IMG's regional vice president. ``Scottsdale is a terrific tennis community, and we look forward to continuing to expand our 13-year-old men's ATP event.''

Tatum said IMG sold the women's event because of scheduling conflicts with its 10-day combined men's and women's tournaments in Indian Wells, Calif.

The men's tournament, an International Series-level event that offers $380,000 in prize money, has been played in Scottsdale since 1991. It is the first ATP outdoor competition in North America.

IMG brought the $585,000 WTA tournament to Scottsdale in 2000, slotting it the week before the men arrived. But it was plagued by bad weather twice in three years, including heavy rain that forced cancellation of the 2000 final between Martina Hingis and Lindsay Davenport, the two top-ranked women in the world at the time.

·
Registered
11,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I dunno, it doesn't make sense to me either.

Two Doha events??

·
Registered
7,256 Posts
I don't mind this event moving. The only unfortunate thing is that I liked the Men's/Women's combined events...and it was kind of nice to have Scottsdale women's tennis one week, men's tennis the next week.

Reactions: Wimanna

·
Registered
17,738 Posts
SO who takes the Qatar leace then?

·
Premium Member
172,296 Posts
great idea :)
moving from one desert where it rains to another desert :)

·
Registered
10,884 Posts
Frankly, I think it was better left where it was. If weather is an issue then friggen move it to Vegas where it does not rain as much, even in winter.

If the tournament will be held in Qatar the same time the Scottsdale even was played, I have a feeling we will see fewer of the top players competing

·
Registered
22,590 Posts
Surely there wont be 2 events in Qatar its not as if Qatar is full of tennis players is it:rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.