Tennis Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No more comebacks says Ivanisevic

AFP [ TUESDAY, FEBRUARY 26, 2002 3:00:34 AM ]

UBAI: Goran Ivanisevic warned there will be no further comebacks if his injured shoulder, which was hurting again during a first round defeat in the Dubai Open here on Monday, gets any worse.

"I don't want to experience all that (absence through injury) again," he said after losing 6-3, 6-4 to Nicolas Kiefer.

"It will be the last time it happens. If it does I won't come back. It's not any fun any more to do that. So I hope it's (the pain) only for a couple of weeks."

The Wimbledon champion received treatment from the ATP trainer after the knock-up and, despite cries from spectators of "come on emergency Goran," never looked likely to conquer the discomfort.

He was lucky not to lose the first set by a wider margin and as soon as he got a break to lead 4-2 in the second set, he threw it away again immediately with a wildly erratic game.

That caused him to slam one ball to the top of the stand, to hurl his racket at a bench, and to get a code violation warning. But in truth these were tantrums with more ritual than fire.

Ivanisevic's main remaining aim, he admits, is to enjoy the opening Monday of Wimbledon when he will walk out as champion, and to play well there.

After that he expects to retire, either after The Championships, or some time later in the year.

"But when I do it I shall just go home quietly and you won't know about it," he grinned.

Ivanisevic is to prepare for his Wimbledon defence in the new Liverpool International grass-court tournament at Calderstones Park. The event, the first of its kind to be held in a British public park, is scheduled to end on June 22, the day before Wimbledon starts.

For Kiefer, who had not won a match all year, it was both a welcome relief and a revenge for a Davis Cup defeat earlier in the month. A former champion here, the German believes it can be the beginning of better things.

Earlier Younes El Aynaoui, who also reached the second round after beating the Rumanian Andre Pavel 7-5, 2-6, 6-4, admitted to feeling the pressure of being an Arab being required to do well in an Arab nation.

"I feel like I am part of the family here - I feel like a local, " said the Moroccan, who on his last visit to the region won the title in Doha last month.

"I have huge support here. I am nervous because I know it makes a lot of people happy if I win. I try not to think about it too much. I think it's positive but it's a lot of pressure."

http://www1.timesofindia.com/articleshow.asp?art_id=2110038

·
Banned
1,006 Posts
Maybe Goran should just stop now and take a break, and then come back for either a grass-warmup or directly for that monday at 1 pm. He will have that whatever his ranking is.
And after Wimbledon he should just stop.

·
Team WTAworld, The Martian Llama
20,264 Posts
I agree Go Dominique. I think Goran should rest his shoulder for now, to make sure he is ok to play at Wimbledon, because that's the most important thing. I don't know why he is playing as many tournaments at the moment, it's not good for his shoulder and I don't know how he can have the motivation, because I know if I was him, and had achieved the thing I wanted all my career, winning Wimbledon, I wouldn't have any motivation left.

·
Registered
25,495 Posts
waaa, don't retire, Goran :sad: :sad:

·
Registered
25,495 Posts
hi MarilynE, you are very loyal to Goran :). Have you ever met him? waaa, I want to meet him before he retires but seems no more chance :sad: . He went to HK at about 94 but by that time I didn't notice tennis that much and missed the chance to meet him :sad:

·
Registered
25,495 Posts
The Salem Open invited him to HK this year but he didn't come :sad: so I will never meet him.

just curious, besides Goran, who do you like? I like Pete as well.

and who is Su Wei? is it µÎµX?
btw, your are very beautiful :D

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Ha I am not~
Su-Wei is a Taiwanese tennis player, her Chinese name is Á²QÁ¨.
She is a promised young girl, I believe she will be BIG in the future. Well, I like tons of players, Pete included. Goran is in my "Top 5 List", but now he is probably going...*weep*

·
Registered
25,495 Posts
I see. Wang Shi-ting is also very good but she retired :(.

Goran is going going :sad: . He is the funniest of all players, his interviews always made me laughed liked a fool :D but :sad:

Do you like µÎµX? and do you think she is beautiful? I find her ugly :eek: but she is very attractive in men's eyes ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts