Tennis Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems to me everyone is crying out in hopes of someone to return, whether it's Pova or Clijsters, etc. That's all well and good, as the more people the better, but what about the current field? It seems like they've just been written off as mental midgets and bad players when no less than 3 weeks ago everyone seemed upbeat about the top 10. So now that Serena has won back to back majors, is everyone losing faith in the other players or is Serena just establishing herself as one of the greatest.

I'm not writing anyone off, yet. As much as I think Serena is capable of doing well at the French, I know she will have her hands full. So, if Serena loses the French does the credibility of the field become restored? I'm curious as to how this all works.

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
The problem isn't talent. It's mentality.

Jankovic, Safina, Dementieva, Zvonareva have enough tennis to win a Grand Slam. They simply can't play at their best in the final stages of Grand Slams.

·
Registered
12,969 Posts

Jankovic, Safina, Dementieva, Zvonareva have enough tennis to win a Grand Slam. They simply can't play at their best in the final stages of Grand Slams.
yeap. this is what's preventing us from getting great matches. they are pretty much mental midgets (i don't agree with Jankovic though USopen final 2008 and Usopen 1/4 final 2007 against Vee showed that she is able to step up, even though the majority of her matches against Henin were :eek: )

·
Registered
25,215 Posts

I disagree. The problem isn't mentality, it's talent. Up to Henin retirement, there were three active elite players. That's a lot. Serena had OZ, Henin has the French, Venus had Wimbledon, and they ALL played well at the US.

And if there's a slip-up, there's been Mauresmo and Sharapova to exploit it. The other players just aren't as talented, or as skilled, as those five.

Subtract Henin. Subtract Mauresmo and Sharapova (due to injury).

2002 Redux.

If the oppostion has more talent, more skill, more experience AND knows how to win on the big stage under pressure, you're going to lose.

·
Winner
14,940 Posts
Who exactly was upbeat about the top 10 3 weeks ago? As far as I know people have been complaining for ages.

It's not about Serena, it's about everyone getting their act together at the same time. Yes, Serena just won the AO and looks awesome, but it wasn't too long ago that she herself was losing to Srebotniks and Lis. Right now there is no "dominant" force on tour. Everyone, including Serena, has had good and bad moments. And nobody, including Serena, is that far ahead of everyone else that their results affect the credibility of the field as you say.

·
Worshipping the bangs
62,496 Posts
I disagree. The problem isn't mentality, it's talent. Up to Henin retirement, there were three active elite players. That's a lot. Serena had OZ, Henin has the French, Venus had Wimbledon, and they ALL played well at the US.

And if there's a slip-up, there's been Mauresmo and Sharapova to exploit it. The other players just aren't as talented, or as skilled, as those five.

Subtract Henin. Subtract Mauresmo and Sharapova (due to injury).

2002 Redux.

If the oppostion has more talent, more skill, more experience AND knows how to win on the big stage under pressure, you're going to lose.
I say Dementieva, JJ Ivanovic, Kuzzy and Safina have the talent, but not the mentality to win. Especially in the case of Lena D., look at what she's done in '07 and '08 away from slams. Ana's a victim of her own success right now.

Everybody who's coached Dementieva says her problems are her confidence, not her game. The serve problem is mental. It's especially obvious now, where she went from basically no double faults and holding in tight sets in Rnds 1 and 3 to the '04 model Elena in the 1/4s and semis. That's nerves, not lack of talent.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Seems to me everyone is crying out in hopes of someone to return, whether it's Pova or Clijsters, etc. That's all well and good, as the more people the better, but what about the current field? It seems like they've just been written off as mental midgets and bad players when no less than 3 weeks ago everyone seemed upbeat about the top 10. So now that Serena has won back to back majors, is everyone losing faith in the other players or is Serena just establishing herself as one of the greatest.

I'm not writing anyone off, yet. As much as I think Serena is capable of doing well at the French, I know she will have her hands full. So, if Serena loses the French does the credibility of the field become restored? I'm curious as to how this all works.
I can't speak for everyone else but I do believe at the moment that the depth is really lacking. Serena shouldn't have won the Australian Open but she raised her game when it counted most while the others wilted. That's unacceptable and that's why I'm dismissive of the current top players.

Roland Garros will neutralize things and several players will have a strong chance to win the title. However, 3 weeks later, it'll be back to a two-woman show again. Not good for the WTA.

·
Premium Member
28,050 Posts
The quality of matches has been horrible. it seems like most players cant seem to tring more than a few shots together and the rallies are not exciting. These are supposed to be the best in the world but they dont play up to the standard that we have come to expect. Many of them also cant seem to handle the big occasions.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Stop saying everytime that Serena is a victim. Serena plays great and she deserved to win AO. I love Serena's and venus's game. But other players SUCK, and it has nothing to do with serena, once again. Even though Sharapova lost the 3 last times against Serena, there were a little "rivalry" and it's true that with maria it could be better. With Kim too

I just hate how lots of people say "everybody hate serena. Serena won a slam and nobody is happpy", this has NOTHING to do with Serena. That ao (apart from dokic) was BORING, especially the semifinals and the final (serena vs elena was not bad) so stop saying "poor serena, nobody likes her, she is not seen as a champion bla bla bla", she is really good, but the others suck

·
Worshipping the bangs
62,496 Posts
Hey, Ree beat my girl far and square and I've done nothing but give Ree her props.

·
Registered
4,096 Posts

And apart from the psychology of some of those people part of that may be lack of experience playing top players. The good or great players of the nineties had established older players to play against and tended to move up when they learnt how to beat them. They then had long careers and faced challengers who forced them to change their games. We now have a generation who only have a rare sighting of Serena or Venus and learn or not from each other because the older players have all retired, gone sick or slumped.
There's also lack of variety to gain ideas from - Patty can only give so many free lessons on what other options there are. Otherwise its learning from people who do the same thing.
There's also a question of injuries and how much people play. The problem seems to be that playing the current game too much leads to injuries and not playing it enough leads to lack of match winning ability. In there too is the question of age rules - Capriati learnt how to tough out hard matches on tour at 15 - the younger elements of todays top ten have got near to or past 20 without doing so.

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
Stop saying everytime that Serena is a victim. Serena plays great and she deserved to win AO. I love Serena's and venus's game. But other players SUCK, and it has nothing to do with serena, once again. Even though Sharapova lost the 3 last times against Serena, there were a little "rivalry" and it's true that with maria it could be better. With Kim too

I just hate how lots of people say "everybody hate serena. Serena won a slam and nobody is happpy", this has NOTHING to do with Serena. That ao (apart from dokic) was BORING, especially the semifinals and the final (serena vs elena was not bad) so stop saying "poor serena, nobody likes her, she is not seen as a champion bla bla bla", she is really good, but the others suck
Arguably Dokic doing so well just made the point that she wouldn't look out of place in todays top 10 after only just walking back into the game and the point that we now have a stronger top 10 in early retirement or with collapsed careers than 6 or 7 players we have out there playing.

·
Registered
132 Posts
its a lack of skill. there is none in the field. how often do you see players changing game like using slice or coming to the net. and it cant be said that its the state of tennis with todays rackets blah blah because the mens game has it all. there is a lack of tennis skill that the likes of Henin once had

·
Registered
5,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)

I'm not saying Serena is a victim. You can interpret my post however. My point is that if she hadn't won, do you honestly think we'd be discussing how weak the field is?

In my most non biased thought, I can say NO, we wouldn't be discussing how weak the field is at all. Does that make Serena a "victim"? No. If Safina were holding that trophy, it'd be another story.

Personally, I think the field is still pretty strong. Obviously that's not what the majority believes, but I think they had one bad tournament and everyone is ready to send them off to a shrink because the men's competition was SOOO MUCH BETTER :rolleyes::rolleyes: NoT! You had the 2,3,and 4 seeds make it to the semis and finals on the women's side, while you had the 3&4 seeds kicked out in the quarter and 4th round on the men's side. There was one EPIC match with Nadal/Verdasco and then of course Fed/Nadal's one-sided rivalry. How on earth do people expect Fed/Nadal kind of matches from Rena/Safina. Not that they are not capable of going toe to toe, but Rena/Safina are not remotely close to a 'rivalry.' It is what it is.

The French Open coming up and if I believed the field were so weak, then I'd think Serena would sail into the finals, but that's not going to happen. If Serena makes it far, she'll really have to be on her game from beginning to end. I think there are a lot of strong contenders, particularly at the French and I'm not ready to sell everyone else short because most seem to agree this was a bad tournament.

Did we suddenly forget about Lena D. b/c of her yips, which didn't show up until the second. What about JJ and Safina? Poor Dinara. She could have served better, sure. But it was just out of her hands and she has received the worst treatment. I just hope that with women's tennis seemingly taken back slap that these ladies will come prepared for the next tournament and show those guys how it's done because the women's tour for some reason has to be compared to the men's even though the format is different and the actual gender, too.

·
Registered
12,969 Posts
its a lack of skill. there is none in the field. how often do you see players changing game like using slice or coming to the net. and it cant be said that its the state of tennis with todays rackets blah blah because the mens game has it all. there is a lack of tennis skill that the likes of Henin once had
exactly. they don't care anymore, all they do is smack the ball and hope that its in, if it isn't then oh well there is always the next point, there is no consistency, no thinking out there :eek: all this + the lack of mental strengh = horrible quality matches

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
I still believe at the super talent that they have, Kuznetsova, Safina, Ivanovic, and Vaidisova will be the supreme players like some of us predict. I don't know what's wrong with them right now.
It's like loss at the puzzle... or something... :rolleyes:
I want Kuznetsova back to the from (and mind) when she won Miami 3 years ago.
Safina when she won Tokyo last year.
Ivanovic like when she won LA 2007? Please correct me if I wrong
Vaidisova like we know her ...err... 3/4 years ago.

If suddenly they reborn, the field is okay :hearts:

·
Registered
322 Posts
bcoz rena is the best

1 - 18 of 18 Posts