Tennis Forum banner

21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
21,424 Posts
Conchita can have her pick of whoever she wants to coach. I have someone in mind............

·
Registered
21,424 Posts
Come on, Puig, snatch her !!!!
Would be interesting. On the one hand, Conchita and Monica would have a long partnership. On the other hand, is Monica Slam-winning material?

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
What Pliskova wants she can't have and that is foot speed. It's not something you can get by coaching.

The other thing is she doesn't like/want to come forward unless it's on her terms. If a player is smart enough to make her move not only laterally but with short balls that force her to have to come in she is useless and resorts to serve botting.

It'll be interesting to see who she chooses.

Hubby maybe?

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
She improved her speed and movement during that period. Maybe she wanted a slam.
-
I was very surprised by the improvement in her movement and defense in some of the matches this year.
Ka Plis was defending like a 5'5 clay courter in some of her matches.
This coaching move doesn't make a lot of sense to me, but there are always other factors only the insiders know about.

·
Registered
21,424 Posts

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Really curious who Conchita ends up working with. Am I crazy for thinking Mladenovic might be a good fit?
Yes. Conchita can do much, much better.
Who is available better than Mladenovic, though? She's already on the rise, she's hungry to prove Bajin was a fool, and she's got a bit more at her disposal than Pliskova w/r/t making adjustments to her game both mid-match and mid-season.

·
Registered
21,424 Posts

·
Registered
10,357 Posts
If someone is the world No. 2 and they part with their coach, only two scenarios are possible: that someone is either foolish as hell, or ambitious as hell.

In Karo's case I believe it's the latter and this move makes me like her even more. Make no mistake: she's parting with Martinez, because she's most likely already having late-stage negotiations with someone else. And that someone else is probably very good.

Anyways, I wish all the best to both Karo and Conchita in the 2020 season.

·
Registered
10,357 Posts
I think she has enough money now that she can afford to take more risks for the sake of glory.
Absolutely. Just today I came across a big poster of Karo in Prague on a pharmacy next to a major hospital - she has a deal with a pharmaceutical firm - and lately I got my hands on a brochure of real estate firm Czech Funds which she is the face of and carried their logo even during the recent YEC in Shenzen.

She also promotes traditional Czech jewellery and probably some other stuff.

A very rich woman already who can afford to take a lot of risk to meet her sport goals. Money is probably no longer an issue.

·
Registered
10,357 Posts
-
I was very surprised by the improvement in her movement and defense in some of the matches this year.
Ka Plis was defending like a 5'5 clay courter in some of her matches.
This coaching move doesn't make a lot of sense to me, but there are always other factors only the insiders know about.
She might have been moving like a seasoned clay courter in some matches, but the reason she lost e.g. the YEC semis to Barty was that her biggest weapon went AWOL and it was actually the Australian who made the most of this biggest weapon in tennis and used it in her own favour:

BTW, those 13 extra free points Ash gained on aces/DFs are equal to the difference in the total points won in the match. Now imagine those points went in Karo's favour regardless of how she was moving or running across the court following the instructions from Conchita's training drills :lol:

21 - 40 of 61 Posts