Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
https://www.sport.cz/tenis/clanek/1160678-sokujici-novinka-karolina-pliskova-konci-spolupraci-s-trenerkou-martinezovou.html#hp-sez

Czech source.

"Thanks Conchita for what she has done (for me), I think I became a better player thanks to her, I hope her continued success (happiness?). But I want to try to do something different.

Dissapointing, but it was obvious when she said in an interview few days ago when they asked her if she will continue with Conchita, she said "I don't know yet. I will need to think on it, reflect on some things. I will decide in a couple of days."

she also said. "I want to change a lot of things next year for big matches, event if it means I will fall out of top 10."

Personally, i think Conchita was good for her. :shrug:

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Karolina should hire Usain Bolt; he could teach her how to accelerate with long legs; the rest of her game is pretty solid.

·
Registered
860 Posts
I thought her movement did improve under Martinez in the start of the year but then she regressed again. In particular remember being really surprised by it during the clay season.

I wonder if Pliskova just doesn't want to put in the hard work to have better movement?

·
Registered
2,013 Posts

The WTA coach carousel continues! I didn't expect this TBH, I thought the two of them seemed like a solid team. I mean, she's world number 2, so it's not like their teaming up was a failure. :p

This is disappointing to hear! :( Bot has been changing her coaches quite frequently as of late... the problem might be more with her than her coaches. Maybe she'll find a coach who perfectly clicks with her one day, but I think she should have waited it out with Conchita for a while to see how it goes.

·
Registered
16,473 Posts
:sad: Conchi seemed to be a really good coach for Karolina. Ohh well. Maybe Conchita can make Garbi in shape again? :shrug: Lets see who Karo hires next.

·
Registered
824 Posts
This is actually Pliskova’s second coaching change this year. First she hired Stubbs. Stubbs brought on Conchita for extra support while Stubbs is busy commentating. Then Pliskova dropped Stubbs and kept Conchita.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
I kinda expected this, while Karo improved in some ways and Conchi was good for her, it seemed to me like she regressed (especially in the later part of the year) a lot in the mental department. Obviously she's always had problems with big matches :eek:h: but her losses like against Muchová at Wimby or Kuznetsova in Cincinnati(?) were pretty much just tragic mentally.

Obviously she wants a slam, so it makes sense that she wants to focus on this more. I hope she'll remember the stuff Conchi and Rennae taught her though, as she had a very successful year

·
Registered
12,463 Posts
Yes, Garbi needs Conchita!!!

·
Registered
155 Posts
This is actually Pliskova’s second coaching change this year. First she hired Stubbs. Stubbs brought on Conchita for extra support while Stubbs is busy commentating. Then Pliskova dropped Stubbs and kept Conchita.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Stubbs and Karo split because Stubbs couldn't devote enough time to be Karo's coach and moving to Conchita on a permanent basis was just more stable. I think that was both the player and coach recognising that it wasn't a workable relationship. This however seems all Karo as Conchita seemed very happy and was clearly committed to being a full-time coach.

I don't really feel good about this change. It seems like Karo has decided that her career plan from now is to go big or go home, and that bravery is admirable. That said, I really don't know if Conchita should be the one to blame for her mental struggles this year and Karo's game has been consistently very good, which is why she ended the year at #2. Obviously we don't know much about what's going on and maybe Conchita's lack of belief for Karo at the slams was part of the problem (I think she had the quote this year that "Lots of players had great careers without a slam" when asked about Karo), but I feel like there should be other options for improvement than replacing the coach who got you to earn $5 million this year.

More than anything I guess, it's a bit sad to see Karo so clearly dissatisfied with what she's achieved this year. It was the best year of her career and she'll be lucky to replicate it no matter what situation arises. Not every player can be the best and she may come to regret saying no to winning four titles a year and ending the year #2. Especially given that there's likely a bit of "oh god, 30 is approaching" here too, and I don't think this "slam or nothing" pressure on is going to help at all.

I must say, Conchita is going to have a very strong case for 2020 coaching as she's had immense success with two top players now. Anyone is going to want the person who took Karo from #8 to #2 in a strong year and got Garbine a slam when she seemed on the way down. I hope she finds a great player and lots of success.

·
Registered
31,618 Posts
Good. Wasn´t working. Shows Pliskova still has the ambition to win a big title. Most players would have been satisfied with this season.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts