Tennis Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nicole doesnt get enough props from the aussies and other fans on this board. True she has been very erratic this year but she is not getting any younger and its harder to maintain focus and motivation after so many years grinding it out on tour. And nicole definately knows what its like to go through the grind spending so many years on the challengers, working her arse-off getting fitter and stronger in all areas before finallyt breaking thru to the main tour in her last 20's...

for such a small player with no apprent weapon nicole pratt has done great!!!!!!!! i think its an inspiration when u look at how hard she fights for every point, how fit she is, and how she has used every ounce o fher talent to get where she is...a 4th rd at this years aussie open and a 3rd rd at the us open is a very good slam record for 2003 and she hasnt done much worse than Molik who gets 1000 times more attention in regard to her slam performances.,

YOU ROCK NICCY :D

·
Registered
9,295 Posts
While it s great to cheer a fellow aussie, you will admit it is difficult to fully get behind her when we barely see her in action. Unless she draws a top seed you don't see her at all. This goes for most of the lower ranked players too. Thats why it is the top girls who have so many fans, you see them that many times on t.v that you develop a liking for them and their game.
Go Nicole! :bounce:

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Hmm well if you actually checked out the board for the Aussies on this site you might see that those of us who do bother posting there are fully supportive of Nicole.

I agree she is a player that is overlooked and should be admired for all she has achieved, through sheer guts and determination.

·
Registered
11,065 Posts
she's not that over-looked. fox showed her match against sugiyama, and it's not like molik's ever on the front cover of the sport section. it's great to see her doing so well after battling for so long, but it is understandable why she doesn't get that much attention as she isn't exactly marketable. it's sad that things like guts and determination aren't rated as highly as glamour, but it's the way the world works.

btw was this thread all a joke? rada said that this was actually SM who wrote this, but nobody knew if it was an accident or not.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Let's face it, basically women's tennis has been overlooked in favour of the men for so many years in Australia. Basically that can be attributed to the win factor. The men have had so much success the women have been put second and this is not likely to change until we get more Australian women winning more often.

·
Registered
11,065 Posts
yes, it's not that unfair IMO. i think the networks covering the slams make the effort to show the girls when they play. the men have been very successful, and thus deserve the limelight. it's like they were getting much attention from the mid-80 to the mid-90s really.

that is only reason why i think getting dokic back would be good, because she is marketable, she has game (usually) and that is really what australian women's tennis needs. when hewitt or philippoussis lose in the 4th round of a GS it is viewed as failure, while when pratt or molik (i don't think she has yet either) does it we all view it as a big achievement. i'm trying to degrade these girls achievements, but IMO you know a sport is in bad shape when this happens. we need a genuine a contender for GS in order to women's tennis to find it's feet again in australia. i guess we should be thankful that we're not england. here a women winning a match in a tier V is viewed a significant achievement

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.