Tennis Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
15,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.usopen.org/en_US/news/articles/2003-09-04/200309041062731015329.html

Nick will be offering his thoughts on a variety of matches throughout the 2003 US Open. Here are his women's semifinal picks:

Women's Semifinals

Kim Clijsters (1) vs Lindsay Davenport (3)
Lindsay knows this could be her last US Open and is going to forget about her foot injury. Kim is a bulldog running North, South, East and West to retrieve balls. Nick's Pick: This will be a battle of will with Davenport victorious in the end.

Jennifer Capriati (6) vs Justine Henin-Hardenne (2)
Justine is one tough character and a stick of dynamite. Jennifer is comfortable in the New York atmosphere that supports her 100%.
Nick's Pick: This match depends on Jennifer's 2nd serve. She must be aggressive and control the court, plus be able to adjust to the change of pace Henin-Hardenne will bring at her. Capriati in 3 sets.

Wow... Nick predicts correctly again.
I really expect better from a "tennis expert" like him

· Registered
640 Posts
Originally posted by moby

Wow... Nick predicts correctly again.
:lol: :haha:

I thought Nick's Picks was a fun segment for the tournament, but, I would never take his word as gospel. Sometimes he's objective and on the money. But, he can also demonstrate his lack of current knowledge on specific players, i.e. Blake 1st round, and be unreasonably biased towards his favorites, Sharapova, for example. He's a great promoter ala P.T. Barnum, tennis guru to the stars, and great for the game. I like the way JMac poked fun at him with a gruff voice, "any male player in 4 sets". HA!

Nick, you're a riot!

· Registered
122,507 Posts
You don't have to know stroke mechanics to run a tennis academy.
You can hire tennis instructors very cheaply.
Nick is a businessman and self-promoter. A Don King of tennis.

· Team WTAworld, Senior Member
596 Posts
Nick's Picks: Women's Final
by Nick Bollettieri
Saturday, September 6, 2003

Nick Bollettieri is the president and founder of the Bollettieri Tennis Academy at IMG Academies in Bradenton, Fla. He has been coaching for nearly five decades and has helped develop eight world champions. Some of the tennis superstars who have studied under Nick include Andre Agassi, Monica Seles, Tommy Haas, Jim Courier and Anna Kournikova. (Click here to read the full biography of this tennis legend)

Justine Henin-Hardenne (2) vs. Kim Clijsters (1)
Justine won an epic battle over Jennifer Capriati to set up a French Open final rematch. These two are very familiar with each other growing up in Belgium. The showdown is set for Saturday at 7 p.m. live on CBS.
Henin-Hardenne is physically fit and confident that she can win her second major championship this year. Clijsters is No. 1 in the world, but must prove that she can win a major championship. If Henin-Hardenne is successful at the net, she will frustrate Clijsters. Nick's Pick: It is a day of destiny with Clijsters winning her first major in 3 sets.

Looking good for justine :cool: :bounce: :bounce:

· Registered
20,884 Posts
I am better than he is. At least I picked Justine to win.

· Team WTAworld, Senior Member
596 Posts
Experimentee said:
The Capriati one isnt that dumb, she was VERY close to making him right, if she had just closed it out when she had 5-2 in the 3rd. A lot of other people would have picked Capriati too.
That's true, and i don't gonna commentate on him, because this is the first i read of him, but the reality is that he was twice wrong, and as a justine fan, it makes me hope he keeps being wrong :cool:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.