1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
7,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From: http://www.cstv.com/sports/w-tennis/uwire/060106aaa.html

Barnes not ready to say "Cheerio"

By Whitney Sado The Stanford DailyJune 1, 2006

Stanford, CA (CSTV U-WIRE) -- The Daily's "Through My Eyes" series on the women's tennis team wraps up this week with senior co-captain Alice Barnes. An art history major from Cambridge, England, Barnes was last year's NCAA doubles champion along 2005 graduate Erin Burdette and was the NCAA Tournament's Most Outstanding Player each of the past three seasons. She reflects on her third NCAA team championship, the team's dynamic and four years on the Farm.

Bittersweet threepeat

The tennis turned out exactly how we wanted, but I guess I just didn't realize how sad it was going to be. I remember when we won and everyone does the dogpile, and everyone's like "Yay." And then all the seniors started crying. We're supposed to be happy - and we were happy - but I guess I just wasn't entirely prepared for how upset I was going to be.

I knew I was going to be sad to leave Stanford, but when it's finally all over it's just so shocking to think you're never going to put the uniform on again, never play in a team match again. Little things, like you're never going to go to Jimmy V's before a match again, never go on a road trip again. But that has to happen and it has to happen to everybody, so I'd much rather it happen after a win than after a loss. It couldn't have worked out better.

Future mooch

My fallback plan for next year - although this could turn into my main plan - is I'm going to be Joanna Kao's personal assistant. She's going to be I-banking in New York and she's totally clueless, and in a big city I think she probably needs someone with a little bit of common sense to help her out. So I'm going to be her personal assistant and she's going to give me 10 percent of everything she owns. [Kao shouts from the adjacent room, "Then help me with my homework now, Al!"]

Failing that, I'm going to do a premed year and go to med school. But we've agreed on some sort of system where she'll sponsor me through med school. So shell pay for my flights over here. And I think I'm taking five percent just for being emotional support. [Kao interjects, "Whaaaa?"] During the times of day that she'll be awake, I figure that I'll probably be awake. No one else in America will be awake since she'll be working ridiculous hours. So I'll provide emotional support and take my five percent. That's my plan and I think it will work quite well.

Dream team

I just really am going to miss them all a lot. They're all very different. I guess I'm the last person to go with this series, so anybody who has been reading it will have seen how different everybody else is. Everybody has her own humor, brings something different to the team. And the freshmen just fitted in so well - fitted is a word in England, by the way, but I don't think people over here count it as a word so don't put it in or else I'll sound stupid! [Sorry, we couldn't help ourselves.]

I'll really miss being around a bunch of people who are all going for a common goal. We're all so different and yet we all manage to bond over this one thing that we're headed for. And it's going to go way beyond the tennis. I may be off the team now, but I'm still going to be harassing them every day. I'm going to be watching them online. I've got this plan where we're going got have some secret wave or signal or dance, and they can do it for the camera because I can guarantee you that I will be spending hours upon hours stalking them, watching them over the live feed.

I'm just going to miss everybody, and it's more the day-to-day stuff. The national championships, you know they're nice and everything but that's not what you're going to miss. Anybody who's on the team can tell you that that's one of the most stressful times of the year. What you'll miss are the jokes in the team room, the funny stories told at practice, the practical jokes pulled on the road. Winning matches - that I'm sure I'll forget pretty quickly, but I don't think I'll forget my teammates any time soon.

Just keep coming back for more

Someone was asking me, how do you think Stanford tennis has such a great tradition, and I think a big part of that is that we bring the alumni back year after year. It just gives you such confidence to see that everyone still cares so much. You've got Laura Granville in the stands, who is top 50 in the world. It makes you think that there must be something worth playing for and that you're part of something bigger than yourself.

It really gives you a sense that you care so much, it means so much to be on the team - I mean that's why all the seniors were crying after the championship match last week - and it's just nice to know that it means that much to other people too. You know when they come back it's like, "OK, we're not the only idiots who care this much, everybody cares this much - so much so that they just keep coming back and keep coming back."

I'll definitely be back myself, and I'm going to be obnoxious in those crowds. I feel like because I have an English accent, people think that I'm supposed to be somewhat sophisticated - even though that's just not true at all. And as a player, you're on court; you kind of have to behave yourself. But put me in the stands and I'm going to be the most obnoxious fan, heckling the teams and all the coaches I've wanted to heckle throughout the years. Also, I am convinced that I am going to see a Big Game won at some point. I've seen four losses and that kind of sucked, so if it looks like we have a shot at winning, I'll be on a flight back out here.

It's who you know...

I didn't really have the most conventional high school. I was home schooled for the last three years of it and was so used to just knowing people who played tennis, so I remember getting to Stanford and just being amazed at how well-rounded everyone was. They don't even have to have done anything particularly spectacular, but they've all done so much. I mean if you look at our draw group, you've got Jo and me getting sick of each other on the tennis team, but there's more to us too. I mean, I know she's Chinese, but she speaks Chinese. How cool is that? And she plays that Chinese instrument, what's it called, Jo? [Kao calls out something unintelligible.] And you write for The Daily! And I know you take that for granted, don't see it as a big deal. But what seems like little things to the people who do them are just so cool to everyone else.

That's the thing about Stanford, people here will always amaze you. I'm just going to miss the sheer diversity here. Not the weather - though I am going to get so rained on in England. I had a pretty boring life before Stanford. I only knew tennis players, and now I just have so many memories of times spent with all of my absolutely impressive friends.

(C) 2006 The Stanford Daily via CSTV U-WIRE

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alice Barnes was presented with the Al Masters Award at Spring Awards Luncheon

Barnes Wins Al Masters Award at Annual Spring Awards Luncheon
Cardinal tennis star one of 32 student-athlets honored

June 15, 2006

Women's tennis star Alice Barnes today was named winner of the Al Master's Award at the Annual Spring Awards Luncheon honoring Stanford's athletic success during the 2005-06 season. Barnes was one of 32 Stanford student-athletes who were presented with awards recognizing their success both on and off the playing field during the past year.

Barnes, a four-time All-American who helped the Cardinal win its third straight national title, was honored with the most prestigious award. The Al Masters Award is presented to the Stanford athlete attaining the highest standards of athletic performance, leadership and academic achievement.

Al Masters Award - Presented to the Stanford athlete attaining the highest standards of athletic performance, leadership and academic achievement (highest award)
Alice Barnes, Women's Tennis
Alice is a four-time All-American, who helped the women's tennis program to three-straight NCAA team championships and a 161-2 record ... As a team captain over the past two years, she also helped the Cardinal to an 86-match winning streak and kept the squad's home-court advantage going, with a win streak that is now up to 107 matches since 1999 ... Alice is a three-time Pac-10 doubles champion and the 2005 NCAA Doubles Champion and was selected as the 2005 ITA National Doubles Team of the Year ... She was the Most Outstanding Performer at each of the last three NCAA Championships ... Alice finishes her career with a 140-28 record in singles and a No. 3 ranking ... For the second year in a row, she was the recipient of the Northwest Region ITA/Arthur Ashe Award for Leadership and Sportsmanship ... Alice is a two-time First-Team Pac-10 All-Academic honoree and an ESPN Academic All-America Women's At-Large First-Team All-District VIII selection.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From: http://www.paloaltoonline.com/weekly/story.php?story_id=1696

Sports - Friday, June 16, 2006

Tennis standout Alice Barnes is Stanford's top athlete
She heads back to England for pre-med studies after helping continue women's tennis legacy with a third straight NCAA title

by Rick Eymer Stanford senior Alice Barnes might not be seen in these parts very often over the next few years. She may be a bit distracted with her post graduate work over in England.

For the time being, Barnes has set aside her tennis racket to begin work on a pre-med year before applying to medical school.

Barnes leaves Stanford as one of the most respected women's tennis players ever. Not only was she a fierce competitor on the court, she was a team leader off the court and a major reason why the Cardinal take an 86-match winning streak into next season, along with three consecutive NCAA team titles.

If women's tennis needed a voice, Barnes would be the perfect choice. Articulate and poised beyond her years, Barnes spoke gracefully and thoughtfully about her sport and the people who made it special for her.

There's every reason to believe Barnes' soothing style and easy-going manner will allow her to become a successful doctor. The warmth she projects when she's engaged in speaking passionately on a subject lends itself to a personality full of charm and elegance, and she has a calming effect that will serve her well in the medical profession.

The women's tennis team seemed to follow Barnes' lead. The squad was full of energizing personalities and characters and Barnes — an art major — stood tallest among them.

At the annual Stanford Athletic Board Awards Luncheon on Thursday in Burnham Pavilion, Barnes was honored for her contribution to Stanford. She was presented the Al Masters Award as the Stanford athlete to attain the highest standards of athletic performance, leadership and academic achievement. It's Stanford's highest award and Barnes is a worthy choice.

She joins a distinguished list of Stanford alumni which includes Super Bowl champions, Heisman Trophy winners, Cy Young Award winners, Olympic gold medalists and, well, some of the most successful athletes on the planet.

In addition to playing for three national championship teams, Barnes owns an NCAA doubles championship (2005) and was part of two ITA National Doubles Team of the Year. She's a four-time All-American, a three-time Most Outstanding Performer at the NCAA championships, a three-time Pac-10 doubles champion, a two-time recipient of the Northwest Region ITA/Arthur Ashe Award for leadership and sportsmanship, and an Academic All-American.

Barnes, who was honored as the Outstanding Female Junior Athlete at last year's luncheon, finishes her career with a 140-28 record in singles and a No. 3 ranking. She's prouder of the team's 161-2 record during her four years.

Peter Varellas was an important part of the Stanford men's water polo team, which reached the national championship match in each of his four years. This season he led the Cardinal with 62 goals and helped Stanford achieve a No. 2 national ranking.

For his efforts, Varellas was honored with the Biff Hoffman Award, presented to the Outstanding Male Senior.

Varellas, a management science and engineering major, will be spending the summer with the United States national team, joining Stanford grads Tony Azevedo, Thomas Hopkins and Peter Hudnut.

Varellas was in Europe last week, taking part in practices and scrimmages with Team USA. He scored a goal in the Americans' 13-6 loss to Hungary, the first official match of the summer.

Varellas, who scored 168 goals in his collegiate career, is a two-time All-American, and a three-time NCAA All-tournament team selection. He's also a two-time AWPCA All-Academic and earned an NCAA Postgraduate Scholarship.

Amber Liu, who will be seen in these parts in the coming months as a professional tennis player, was presented the Stanford Athletic Board Award for the Outstanding Female Senior.

Liu, a two-time NCAA singles champion, can already say she's played the world's best. She's lost to Kim Clijsters twice when the Belgian was the top-ranked player in the world. One of those losses came at the Bank of the West Classic at Taube Tennis Center; the other at the U.S. Open in New York.

Liu, an economics major, assumed the pressure of playing at the top of the singles ladder and wrapped herself in the role. It spoke volumes that Liu delayed her professional career to put team and school at the top of her priority list. While Barnes was a vocal leader, Liu led by example.

Liu finishes with a 94-23 record and a No. 12 ranking. She's a four-time All-American, a two-time ITA National Player of the Year and the ITA National Senior Player of the Year. Also part of the record winning streak, Liu has helped Stanford maintain its extraordinary winning streak at home, which reached 107 and counting this season.

·
Banned
7,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Surely, someone from England must be proud of her.

·
Banned
7,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I love Alice although I don't know her. She sounds like a very articulate person.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Alice has a great all court game -- a real throw back. she can drive the ball w/ topspin or slice it for variety. she hits both 1 and 2 hands off the backhand...a real joy to watch her play. she will be missed down on the farm.

·
Banned
7,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Alice pretty much slices all of her backhands. I've never seen her drive them.

·
Banned
3,492 Posts
bis2806 said:
Surely, someone from England must be proud of her.
Is she English or American? It says she's all American but coming to England. Coming back?

Forgive me, I'm easily confused.

·
Registered
54,291 Posts
Alice is Brit (and hot! :hearts: )

She was one of Britain best prospects and at the age of 16 won a match in Wimbledon qualifying beating fellow WC Jane O'Donoghue in 2000 before losing in 2nd round against Mashona Washington in 3 sets.

In 2002 played her final junior tournament in Wimbledon (right before going to Stanford) reaching the 3rd round after upseting Su Wei Hsieh in the first round :worship:

Has other junior victories over players like Keothavong and Beygelzimer.

In WTA Tour received a qualy WC for last year's Tier II Stanford where she lost in first round in a good match against Meghann Shaughnessy 75 62

·
Banned
3,492 Posts
Thank you! Doesn't sound like Alice is THAT keen on coming back though!

·
Banned
7,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think Alice (yes, she's a Cambridge, UK native) has other priorities after obtaining a degree from Stanford in Art History. She said she wants to enter med school, so she has work to do in order to prepare for that.

·
Registered
974 Posts
spiceboy said:
Alice is Brit (and hot! :hearts: )

In WTA Tour received a qualy WC for last year's Tier II Stanford where she lost in first round in a good match against Meghann Shaughnessy 75 62

I saw that match! here's a shot from it:

It was a good match...Alice had Meghann so frustrated that she was dropping F-bombs on the court.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts