Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering who you think will be the next player to reach that milestone of 100 career singles titles? Or do you even think anyone will? Maybe its not possible anymore, I mean the top players such as Henin, Mauresmo and even Serena Williams are miles away from that milestone and with most players playing like a max of 12ish tournaments a year (and realistically winning only a handful of the tournaments entered) will anyone ever get there again?

closest one I can think to that milestone is Hingis with 40-odd titles to her name, but with the level of play she's competing with now realistically she's not gonna win 60 more titles in her career!! Look at Sharapova, during her 5 and a bit years of being a pro she's won 15 titles, she says she's gonna retire at about 25 and so in 5 years can you see her winning 85 titles?!

I dont think its a negative thing, more positive. I think it just shows that there's more of a healthy competition between the girls, not just one or two woman dominating for years and years, which I think is good for any sport as it keeps it interesting..

So realistically, who do you think will be the next girl to win her 100th career title?

·
Registered
25,370 Posts
no one players had longer careers years ago in the past 15-20 years at the top is not unheard of but in the modern game most girls bodys will ony last 10 years 12 at most!

·
Registered
25,370 Posts
sorry double post!

·
Banned
14,999 Posts
don't think anyone ever does that again. top players these days don't tend to play as much as Navratilova/Graf did. hence the tour is a lot more competitive than 70s-90s era.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Since no current player is even above 50, it is highly unlikely, especially considering that today's tour has a lot more depth than when Graf and the others played.

I have thought the only player with a realistic chance of reaching a combined total of singles and doubles titles would be Hingis, who I think now has about 81 total titles, but that is not even a lock, as we have no idea how much longer she will play.

·
Banned
9,786 Posts
It's impossible. The Tour has too much depth nowadays.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
I would be happy if Justine retires with 50 titles...
20% of that being GS titles...

·
Registered
14,233 Posts
I think Serena, Venus, Justine and Martina will all have 50 titles when they retire, bringing them in line with Lindsay and Monica. But no-one will have 100 again.;;;

·
Registered
9,074 Posts
Sharapova if she plays the next 12 years........

·
Registered
14,233 Posts
Sharapova if she plays the next 12 years........
Yeah maybe, is it true what they said in the opening post about her saying she's only going to play until she's 25 as I've never read that anywhere:confused:

·
Registered
9,074 Posts
If Vaidisova catches fire and starts dominating.....she can possibly do it....or even Jankovic.....I mean she does play 100 matches a year! I don't see Jelena retiring until around 70 years old anyways. :p

·
Registered
304 Posts
Yeah maybe, is it true what they said in the opening post about her saying she's only going to play until she's 25 as I've never read that anywhere:confused:
She was asked about Kim's retirement. She said she will quit when she's 24. She has a lot ambition. Just like Kim:rolleyes:

·
Registered
14,233 Posts
She was asked about Kim's retirement. She said she will quit when she's 24. She has a lot ambition. Just like Kim:rolleyes:
Wow that's pretty shocking :eek:

Obviously she's already got heart set in her clothing lines.

·
Registered
6,289 Posts
I don't think Maria will retire young. What she said, if I remember correctly, when asked about Kim's retirement was that she could understand why one might retire young, not that she herself would do so. The interviewer seemed to be trying to prompt her into saying so but I didn't get the impression that she really meant it.

I don't think anyone will get to 100. Justine and Maria have the best chances but I would personally be surprised if either hits 60.

·
Art & Futures
20,926 Posts
If Vaidisova catches fire and starts dominating.....she can possibly do it....or even Jankovic.....I mean she does play 100 matches a year! I don't see Jelena retiring until around 70 years old anyways. :p
i could still imagine her packing quite a punch with a walking stick, hunchback, wrinkly sun-raped face, and mega thick glasses!

·
Registered
10,890 Posts
Not sure I see any of the crop of current players becoming dominant enough, with enough time left in their career to do it. Serena & Justine have the game but don't play enough and are likely not going to be around long enough to achieve this feat anyway. Maria, due to her young age, might have the best shot...but that would entail a level of true domination that I just don't see her being capable of. Especially since Justine & Serena will both be around at least a couple more years. You'd need a player that's so dominant and not prone to injury...a Federer type...I just don't see it happening anytime soon.

·
Registered
8,916 Posts
noone. it's too competitive now and players don't play as much, especially the top players :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts