Tennis Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Naomi has over 80% at both the US Open and the Australian. But she hasn't played many slam matches. So for instance, if she loses in the first round during her USO defense, she goes from 85% to 78.5%.

Muguruza has 82% at the French.

Vika in Australia has an 81% record.

Obviously Maria, Serena, and Venus have all achieved this at various slams. Serena at all slams. In fact, she is at 89% for all slams except the French, where her record is 83%.

Of the slam champs, Petra's 77% at Wimbledon is the closest. Followed by Sloane and Simona, who are both at 76% at the US Open and the French Open, respectively.

Who do you think will join next? I think an 80% winning record at a slam is a pretty spectacular benchmark.

·
Gauff and Osaka by the end of their careers will hold 80+% at all slams, they seem to have the power, determination and hunger to achieve such an accomplishment. I have to say, I'm extremely surprised Halep is 76% at any slam considering her (lack of) consistency due to the mental pressure (even with the caveat of her seedless draws).

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
Well that number can tell a couple stories. To achieve 80% you need to average quarterfinals or higher at that slam for your entire career, which is definitely tricky especially if you have a long career. You could also be a player with a very short career that happened to average quarterfinals at 2-3 slams (which is no easy task since very few players go that far on their first go). So yeah, 80% is a very big deal, but honestly where we are now anything over 75% is pretty damn good too.

As far as who why get there from the current crop, obviously Osaka if she can stay there, Halep at the French would also be a good bet. From the younger up and coming players I have no idea, like I said it's pretty damn hard, requires a level of consistency that's pretty out there.

·
Registered
18,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Consistency is really key. Muguruza, for all the shit she gets about it, reached the second week of RG on her second try and has always maintained that record, going QF-QF-W-4R-SF-4R. And that's why she's at 82%. And you look at Wimbledon: She's won it and reached the final one other time; the five other times she's been in the MD, she lost in either the 1st or 2nd round. Her record there is 73%.

Kerber, who's played Wimbledon 12 times, has a similar situation there. AEven though she's won it, reached the final one other time, and made another SF, she's also actually lost in the first or second round five times, which really drags your percentage down. She's at 74%. (Interestingly, Angie has made every single round at Wimbledon.)

For players who have never won a slam, Keys and Pliskova are closest. Both have a 73% record at the US Open. If either won this coming USO, neither would get to 80%. They'd be close at around 79%.

·
Registered
14,481 Posts
Gauff and Osaka by the end of their careers will hold 80+% at all slams, they seem to have the power, determination and hunger to achieve such an accomplishment. I have to say, I'm extremely surprised Halep is 76% at any slam considering her (lack of) consistency due to the mental pressure (even with the caveat of her seedless draws).
Really? She's made QFs or better in 13 of her last 23 Slams - more than anyone in that period apart from Serena. Going out in the QF would give you 80% for that tournament.

·
Registered
10,332 Posts
I think either Halep (RG) or Kvitova (W). But it's tough to tell with them because they also have a LOT of first week, or in some cases even first round losses on their slam records for top players.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
If Andreescu can stay healthy, she’ll have an 80%+ rating also... But typically she has played herself into injury over the years just winning too much... Hopefully her body grows to adjust to her career potential...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts