• Watson

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Swan

• Mikheeva

• Raducanu

• Other (older than Raducanu, not currently British)

• Other (older than Raducanu)

• Other (younger than Raducanu)

• Never

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
6,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Re-upping this as no one else is going to, but it was mentioned recently in GM.

There is no insight here. Firstly, I overlooked Konta, who I thought was a neverwas, months before she reached a slam semi. Secondly, Raducanu is more of an idea than a person, as a semifinalist at Auray she was world class in her age group, and represented the limit of the known at the time. (On that basis, I should have picked Fischer to be honest, but Emma had impressed me more.)

Also, the timing. The thread was created a day after the Scottish indyref, where a poll a week before had suggested "Yes" might win, that our country might be about to come to a sudden and unexpected end, so out of relief I created a "British" poll. For lots of reasons, not just the special circumstance, I wouldn't make a thread like this today.

·
Registered
8,928 Posts
Never heard of Mikheeva. I assume early potential but never got started? I only really got into the GB scene around 2016/17.

·
Registered
8,928 Posts
I created a couple. Safe to say the interest wasn't quite so strong back then :LOL:

ITF Wirral 25k (WC) Emma Raducanu (15 year old) d. (2)...

But then she literally hasn't won a WTA match, and prior to Nottm W100 vs Sanders, I'm not sure if she even had a win above W25 level - that Sanders match definitely had a thread.

·
Registered
6,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Never heard of Mikheeva. I assume early potential but never got started? I only really got into the GB scene around 2016/17.
Contemporary of Swan. Auray winner. Also, Scottish and I wanted a Scottish choice (Anastasia McKeever from Edinburgh). Perhaps I should have picked Lumsden (also Auray winner) but by 2014 didn't seem to have world-beating potential. Anastasia was still promising in 2014 but was possibly starting to slip back by that time, and she just disappeared from the tennis scene not so very much later.

EDIT: it seems she was back playing at a reasonable level just before the pandemic hit: LTA - Tennis for Britain

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
If Raducanu is the next British woman to win a slam, this thread will be legendary.
Ha! Lol......

Don't lose hope on Emma. She just turned 12. ;) Sure, her results aren't earth-shattering, but after watching a couple of her matches on youtube, she just seems to have something special about her game. I can't quite put my finger on it, but I'm really excited about her future.
Yes, there was always something there that was just a bit more compelling. Partly in aspects of her game and partly in her attitude.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Don't lose hope on Emma. She just turned 12. ;) Sure, her results aren't earth-shattering, but after watching a couple of her matches on youtube, she just seems to have something special about her game. I can't quite put my finger on it, but I'm really excited about her future.
Nailed it (y):ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
I'm not sure if this is the best place to post this but its as good a place as any - I thought every year when Wimbledon is on and Andy Murray is the only Brit left after round one, its always said because we don't have good facilities/investment etc in this country but hasn't Emma proved we do?
I would be interested in the comments of anyone who actually plays Tennis in the UK as I am just a watcher so don't know too much about that side of things.
Or is Emma just a one off who would have come through no matter which country she was brought up in?

·
Registered
12,465 Posts
I'm not sure if this is the best place to post this but its as good a place as any - I thought every year when Wimbledon is on and Andy Murray is the only Brit left after round one, its always said because we don't have good facilities/investment etc in this country but hasn't Emma proved we do?
I would be interested in the comments of anyone who actually plays Tennis in the UK as I am just a watcher so don't know too much about that side of things.
Or is Emma just a one off who would have come through no matter which country she was brought up in?
I do think that things have improved in the past few years, largely due to Murray's success and the Davis Cup win, brought increased investment into British tennis. As Emma is only 18, it's not unreasonable to say she could have benefitted from that.

Not to sound too optimistic, but I think at the moment things look bright, and the investment in British tennis is only going to grow. But I do think there is still an element of elitism and "country clubiness" in British tennis..but it seems to be changing!

·
Registered
48 Posts
A few years ago i thought it would be laura, then i thought konta, lately i thought it might be boulter. And then it was emma. I have to admit there is nothing nostradamus about me.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts