• Watson

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Swan

• Mikheeva

• Raducanu

• Other (older than Raducanu, not currently British)

• Other (older than Raducanu)

• Other (younger than Raducanu)

• Never

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
6,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To celebrate the continuation of our union, a game, a challenge to predict the next British woman to win a slam.

I mean singles and in the open section of course (else the poll should probably have only two options in order to be balanced: Whiley, not Whiley).

I have my five "other" categories, now just have to choose five concrete choices to fill out the poll. Under the circumstances, a bit of tokenism is called for...

·
Registered
6,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
...and let's face it, another of my choices is pretty subjective, based on one lost match

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Embittered are you bored tonight? ;)

No, but seriously to answer your question Laura looks to be the the best bet although she's only just got back to hitting normal sized tennis balls never mind winning slams. Hopefully she gets back to her best and better on her return. I don't think Hev has the game tbh to get deep into a slam, Naomi has way to many holes in her game and Jo has only just got back to winning two matches in a row. The rest haven't had any standout results really to be considered (I love Tara's game when it's on though) so all my hopes rest in Laura. :p

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Don't know which one to vote for. I'm tied on Laura, Not Born Yet or Never. We don't have a great pool of players that we can choose from sadly.

·
Registered
12,465 Posts
If you only mean singles slam than Laura is the best bet. However, I do think Heather could win a doubles or mixed doubles slam with the right partner...

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Robson just might, if she can get her confidence back, stays motivated and has a good stretch without injury.

Heather might, in doubles or mixed, if she is motivated and finds someone with whom she can build a stable partnership. I think she's rather good at doubles, but a lot of the time has played in scratch partnerships. I believe she can get further in singles than she has managed so far, but not all the way.

Can't imagine any of our other seniors managing it, and I don't really know enough about the juniors to have an opinion on them.

·
Registered
6,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Is it too late to change Raducanu to Spink?

After yesterday's capitulation, I've voted for "not born yet". I guess Laura, Heather and Katie still have a chance, but there's a much bigger chance that they won't.

It's hard to distinguish "never" and "not born yet"; it's not really a tennis matter. For instance, to chose a fanciful example, when is the Antarctic ice cap going to melt and physically prevent further grand slam play by burying the venues under 50m of water?

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
Is it too late to change Raducanu to Spink?
Don't lose hope on Emma. She just turned 12. ;) Sure, her results aren't earth-shattering, but after watching a couple of her matches on youtube, she just seems to have something special about her game. I can't quite put my finger on it, but I'm really excited about her future.

·
Registered
6,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Curiously, it turned out in the end that if Emma had won one more match, she'd have been the champion:silly:. There's another salient fact, too, that's too obvious to even be worth setting down.

·
Registered
6,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
A year on and snubbed Johanna Konta is just 22/1 to win the current slam, whereas who knows what odds Laura Robson would deserve to ever win a slam.

·
Registered
12,465 Posts
Jo's rise has been pretty phenomenal and I will admit I never anticipated it. She has a really good chance of making the semi finals at the AO. I don't see her beating Azarenka or Serena this time though, but further down the line..who knows?

·
Premium Member
6,332 Posts
Laura :sobbing:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts