Tennis Forum banner

1181 - 1200 of 1229 Posts

·
Registered
27,821 Posts
Two-time Australian Open champion Victoria Azarenka to play ASB Classic in Auckland in January 2019
Azarenka in for ASB Classic | Stuff.co.nz

Victoria Azarenka will play in the ASB Classic in 2019.

With two Australian Open titles to her name, the Belarusian is the third Grand Slam winner announced for the Auckland tournament, joining Caroline Wozniacki and Venus Williams.

Tournament director Karl Budge said the field was "shaping up to be our strongest yet". "There is still the chance of another Grand Slam champion and we know we have two more big names that will confirm in the coming weeks. With the first round now split over two sessions rather than four, we are going to have what will probably be our strongest ever Monday and Tuesday of the women's event."

As well as winning at Grand Slams, Azarenka, Williams and Wozniacki have all been ranked No 1 in the world. Together, they have spent 133 weeks at the top of the rankings, winning 10 Grand Slam titles, 99 WTA titles, and five Olympics medals.

Azarenka's time at the top came in two stints in 2012 and 2013, the years she won in Melbourne. She is currently ranked 55th, having risen 154 places in 2018 following the birth of her first child, Leo, last year.

"Vika has been incredible since coming back on tour," Budge said. "She performed incredibly well at Wimbledon last year in her second tournament back and this year alone she made the semifinals in Miami, one of the biggest events of the year and recorded wins over top 10 players."

"What she is doing is incredible and we look forward to welcoming her and Leo to Auckland in January."
https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/sport/2018/10/tennis-victoria-azarenka-adds-further-star-power-to-asb-classic.html
https://www.tvnz.co.nz/one-news/sport/tennis/two-time-grand-slam-champ-victoria-azarenka-confirmed-aucklands-asb-classic

·
Registered
27,821 Posts
Azarenka, Zverev and Coric headline World Tennis Challenge in 2019
https://worldtennischallenge.com/news/2018/11/azarenka-zverev-and-coric-headline-world-tennis-challenge-in-2019

Two-time Grand Slam champion Victoria Azarenka and world No.4 Alexander Zverev will headline the eleventh edition of the World Tennis Challenge at Memorial Drive in Adelaide, South Australia from Monday 7 to Tuesday 8 January 2019.

Two teams will each feature a current WTA and ATP player alongside a tennis legend in a battle to claim the South Australian title.
Azarenka and Zverev will team up with French tennis legend and former world No.5 Henri Leconte for Team Leconte.

US Open doubles champion CoCo Vandeweghe will make her Adelaide debut with world No.12 Borna Coric and her year-round coach, 1987 Wimbledon champion Pat Cash for Team Cash.

Former world No.1 Azarenka won the Australian Open in 2012 and 2013, a gold medal in the mixed doubles and a bronze medal in the singles at the 2012 London Olympic Games, will also travel to Adelaide for the first time.

“I’m thrilled to join the field for the World Tennis Challenge in January,” Azarenka said. “This will be my first time visiting Adelaide so I am looking forward to exploring the city and meeting all of the tennis fans too.”

https://twitter.com/MatthewPantelis/status/1064700610337882112
https://twitter.com/Nickibarnet/status/1064679241197842432

·
Registered
83,570 Posts
https://tennis.life/2018/12/20/azarenka-has-setback-in-l-a-courts/

Victoria Azarenka is training hard at the IMG Academy in Bradenton, Fla. in preparation for the 2019 season.

And she’ll have son Leo, who turned two on Wednesday, with her in Auckland, NZ to start the season, and also at the Australian Open.

But the custody issues with the boy’s father, Billy McKeague, are far from settled.

And that means that the fight for custody of her son may well be a factor once again in 2019.

This is a key season as the 29-year-old, currently ranked No. 51, works to get back to the top of the game – where she belongs.

The custody issues with McKeague caused Azarenka to miss some valuable chunks of time over the last season and a half.
Last week in Los Angeles Superior Court, Azarenka suffered a setback to that end.

It’s a little complicated.

A judge in L.A.’s Superior Court had decided that a ruling in a court in Belarus in June, 2017 which determined that baby Leo’s legal residence was in Minsk, Belarus would stand.

McKeague appealed that ruling.

And according to the Metropolitan News-Enterprise, an appeals court last week overturned it on a technicality.

The appeals court judge declared the “decree issued by a court in Eastern Europe’s Republic of Belarus is entitled to no deference because the father was not afforded notice of the proceeding there.”

Leo was born in California. But McKeague had gone to Belarus with Azarenka and their son in March 2017. They resided there until they left for the French Open about three months later.

From what we know, the relationship was already on shaky footing. Azarenka is a high-profile figure in Belarus and has top-level connections. So that attempt to establish residency for the boy in Belarus seemed to be an effective move to get the ongoing custody issues onto her turf, so to speak.
In Jan. 2018, the Superior Court judge decided that the Belarus decree on jurisdiction superseded the one filed in Los Angeles by McKeague. The judge did note that McKeague hadn’t received any notice of the Belarus hearings. The notices reportedly were sent to Azarenka’s apartment in Belarus, so he couldn’t have.

But it was that lack of notice that led the appeals court judge to overturn the decision last week.

Now that jurisdiction appears to have been established, the two sides can move on to a determinative custody phase. In the meantime, we’re told they appear to be cooperating in terms of having little Leo spending time with both families.

Notably, McKeague has noted Harvard law professor emeritus Alan Dershowitz on his legal team. Azarenka counters with L.A. attorney Laura Wasser.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
This hobo with a Harvard law professor on his team all because of his parents' wealth. :spit:
Imagine trying to take down a self-made, hard-working mother who is the only parent of the two actually providing for the child.
So very true! @Break My Rapture. I noticed a few months ago on Instagram that a Real Estate agent tagged Billy in a post where he was congratulated on buying a $3 million house in Manhattan Beach. His parent's and/or Vika probably bought that house for him. I highly doubt Billy has ever earned enough money on his own merit to afford a house that expensive! :rolleyes:.

·
Heaux
29,704 Posts
So very true! @Break My Rapture. I noticed a few months ago on Instagram that a Real Estate agent tagged Billy in a post where he was congratulated on buying a $3 million house in Manhattan Beach. His parent's and/or Vika probably bought that house for him. I highly doubt Billy has ever earned enough money on his own merit to afford a house that expensive! :rolleyes:.
:eek:!!

·
Registered
775 Posts
The good news is that they are working together to have an equal, fair, and flexible custody arrangement for the time being. It could be worse. Hopefully they save themselves the hassle of going through the courts and these temporary terms evolve into a more permanent settlenent in due time.

No need for us to disparage McKeague. Contrary to what some here thought earlier, he doesn't at all seem to be hellbent on destroying her career if he's allowing Leo to travel with her to some places. That's all we could hope for. Ultimately the rest of it isn't any of our business, and we should just be focused on the tennis. :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm a huge Vika fan and have felt frustrated at Billy in the past, However, I'm realising how complicated this custody battle has been. After reading some of articles this week I can see why he would fight to have the case heard in LA which will typically always award joint custody.

If Vika had won her case it seems like he would of only got to see Leo by visiting Belarus - to me that seems harsh. At the moment they appear to have joint custody with vika being allowed to travel with Leo to most tennis tournaments (sometimes with Billy travelling too).

I think the situation will always be a bit difficult and strained, especially if she is having to pay for everything.

·
Registered
83,570 Posts
Last season ( 2018) he was always in the same city where Vika plays tournaments..may be not in the same room but always also there..he took Leo all her " match days"..saw that on his Insta..now his account is private, didn´t know what will be 2019...

·
Registered
52,809 Posts

·
Registered
27,821 Posts
According to current informantion Vika Azarenka's upcoming North American tournaments will be Acapulco, Indian Wells, Miami and Monterrey.
Otherwise her main American residence is usually in Manhattan Beach, Los Angeles County, California.

Acapulco de Juárez, Guerrero (February 25 - March 2, 2019)
Abierto Mexicano de Tenis - Acapulco es casa del Abierto Mexicano Telcel, el mejor torneo de tenis América Latina.Abierto Mexicano de Tenis

Indian Wells, California (March 4 - 17, 2019)
https://bnpparibasopen.com/

Miami, Florida (March 18 - 31, 2019)
https://www.miamiopen.com/

Monterrey, Nuevo León (April 1 - April 7, 2019)
Abierto GNP Seguros | Inicio

·
Registered
52,809 Posts

·
Registered
52,809 Posts
1181 - 1200 of 1229 Posts