Tennis Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Erin Routliffe and Arina Rodionova have entered the doubles in Nottingham in the second week of Roland-Garros. They're the third alternates, so this time I would give them a good chance of getting in. Their last tournament together was at Mildura early last year, where they lost in the final.

·
Registered
8,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Erin Routliffe and Aldila Sutjiadi have entered Wimbledon together. Unfortunately they're the 13th alternates, so I would guess that their chances of getting in are very close to zero.

·
Registered
8,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Lulu Sun received a wild card into qualifying for the WTA 125K tournament in Bol, Croatia, winning her match in the only round played. When she faced Olga Govortsova of Belarus in the first round proper, she became (as far as I know) the first New Zealand-born player since Julie Richardson at Eastbourne in 1994 to qualify for a WTA main draw. Richardson's win over Laura Golarsa at Birmingham in 1992 is the last time a New Zealand-born woman won a main draw singles match outside her own country.

The following New Zealand-born players have won first round matches at what is now the ASB Classic after receiving a wild card into the main draw. All lost in the second round. None have reached the main draw after receiving a wild card into qualifying.

1993 Richardson (defeated Noelle Van Lottum in the first round; lost to Angela Kerek in the second)

1999 Leanne Baker (defeated Miriam Oremans in the first round; lost to eventual champion Dominique Van Roost in the second)

2004 Eden Marama (defeated another New Zealand wild card, Shelley Stephens, in the first round; lost to Anca Barna in the second)

·
Registered
8,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 · (Edited)
Erin Routliffe and Paula Kania-Chodun have entered the WTA500 in Berlin in the week starting 14th June. They're the fourth alternates in the original entry list. Routliffe has fared better the following week in Bad Homburg, where she and Kimberley Zimmerman are in the main draw.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts