Tennis Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
63,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maria Sharapova just won Wimbledon in her 5th Grand Slam appearance. Is that a new record?

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
47 Rαmbαldi <0> said:
Maria Sharapova just won Wimbledon in her 5th Grand Slam appearance. Is that a new record?
No. Monica Seles won the 1990 French Open in just her fourth Grand Slam appearance.

·
Registered
4,918 Posts
Maria Bueno won Wimbledon on her 5th appearance (or sixth if you count the 1957 French, when she scratched before striking a ball. The record must belong to Margaret Court, who won in Australia in 1960 on her second grand slam appearance (like Monica taking out the world #1 en route).

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Andy T said:
The record must belong to Margaret Court, who won in Australia in 1960 on her second grand slam appearance
She was able to do that only because no one travelled to Australia in those days, and she beat nobodies to win the title. <ducking for cover> :devil:

Reactions: Declan

·
Registered
4,918 Posts
samn said:
She was able to do that only because no one travelled to Australia in those days, and she beat nobodies to win the title. <ducking for cover> :devil:
In this case, not so, Samn!
She beat:
D. Linde 61 60
J. Shearer 63 62
Maria Bueno 75 36 64
Mary Carter-Reitano 75 26 62
Jan Lehane 75 62

Bueno was top seed and world #1, holder of the Wimbledon and US titles.
Reitano was #4 seed, defending champion and winner in '56.
Lehane was #3 seed, the conqueror of #2 seed Christine Truman (reigning French champion) in the semi-final and reached the qf or better in all four grand slams during her relatively short career (curtailed by injury).

The field of the 1960 Australian championships therefore included the three reigning holders of the majors and Court beat two of them and the conqueror of the third to win the title.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Andy T said:
In this case, not so, Samn!
She beat:
D. Linde 61 60
J. Shearer 63 62
Maria Bueno 75 36 64
Mary Carter-Reitano 75 26 62
Jan Lehane 75 62

Bueno was top seed and world #1, holder of the Wimbledon and US titles.
Reitano was #4 seed, defending champion and winner in '56.
Lehane was #3 seed, the conqueror of #2 seed Christine Truman (reigning French champion) in the semi-final and reached the qf or better in all four grand slams during her relatively short career (curtailed by injury).

The field of the 1960 Australian championships therefore included the three reigning holders of the majors and Court beat two of them and the conqueror of the third to win the title.
I was just kidding. At the exact moment I saw your message, there was a brief tennis clip on TV featuring Billie Jean King, and I simply couldn't resist ;)

·
25,287 Posts
Well of course the FIRST Wimbledon champ won a grand slam on her first try Andy!:p

Also, Suzanne Lenglen won Wimbledon on her first try-also her first slam.

May Sutton Bundy won the first two slams she ever played-the 1904 US and the 1905 Wimbledon.

·
Registered
4,918 Posts
samn said:
I was just kidding. At the exact moment I saw your message, there was a brief tennis clip on TV featuring Billie Jean King, and I simply couldn't resist ;)
:lol: Samn, you're one big tease!

Thanks anyway, 'cos it hadn't occured to me until thinking about that 1960 win that the field in Oz in fact contained all the current holders of major titles. The same was true of the fields in 1965, 1966. The holder(s) of 3/4 majors was/were present in 63, 64 and 70 and the holder(s) of 2/4 was/were present in 62, 68 and 69. I'm going to see what the equivalent stats are for the other majors during that period (anything to show that King's dismissal of the Aussie Open and Court's wins at it are unfair).

In 61, only Court (not Bueno or Hard) was there.
In 62, there were Court and Hard (not Haydon or Mortimer) plus Yola Ramirez, who had been runner-up in Paris.
In 63, there was Court (who held 3 majors at the time)
In 64 there were Court and Turner, who held three between them
In 65 Court and Bueno, both winners of two majors the previous year, were there.
In 66, Court and Turner, who'd won the 4 majors the previous year, were there.
In 67, Court had retired, and King, Jones and Bueno were not there. However, Richey (finalist in Oz 66, RG 66 and Forest Hills 66) was there.
In 68 King (Wimbledon and US Champ) was there and although Richey and Durr were not, pretty much everyone else (Court, Turner, Melville, Tegart and Casals) was.
In 69 Court, King and Jones were all there, plus Casals, Melville and Turner. No Richey or Wade.
In 1970, Jones had retired but Court (winner of the other three majors) was there.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Andy T said:
:lol: Samn, you're one big tease!
Who, moi? :angel:

Thanks anyway, 'cos it hadn't occured to me until thinking about that 1960 win that the field in Oz in fact contained all the current holders of major titles. The same was true of the fields in 1965, 1966. The holder(s) of 3/4 majors was/were present in 63, 64 and 70 and the holder(s) of 2/4 was/were present in 62, 68 and 69. I'm going to see what the equivalent stats are for the other majors during that period (anything to show that King's dismissal of the Aussie Open and Court's wins at it are unfair).
Hey, if you can find the data, I'd like to see what the fields looked like at the other Slams in those days, especially at the French and the US Nationals.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts