Tennis Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Honestly, most WC in the qualifying draw will be given to Chinese players. In the main draw, Capriati and Dokic will sure be given WC in the main draw due to their late entering. Other WC in the main draw will probably go to some "top" Chinese players as well.

· Team WTAworld, Senior Member
4,821 Posts
Thanks. I am just wondering exactly how many Chinese players will get WC and where.

I would suppose Jie / Tian-Tian will get one for the main draw? Maybe also Zi, depending on availabilities.

Nan-Nan, Yan-Ze could get one in the qualies.

I wonder about Shuai and Rui? Anyone else who could get one?

· Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't know any of these Chinese players very much. That is a fact. Local fans only pursue western players. The Chinese players often come as a national team even in such an individual event. They never enter any tournement alone. This year they play more WTA events because the Olympics counts WTA points (or something like that). So as I say, they are far from being professionals.

· Registered
11,608 Posts
Steveg said:
Thanks. I am just wondering exactly how many Chinese players will get WC and where.

I would suppose Jie / Tian-Tian will get one for the main draw? Maybe also Zi, depending on availabilities.

Nan-Nan, Yan-Ze could get one in the qualies.

I wonder about Shuai and Rui? Anyone else who could get one?
3 WCs will be awarded in the MD, but one is a Gold/Silver exempt, so the maximum of Chinese to get a WC into the maindraw is 2.

However, I won't be surprised if only 1 gets it though... :rolleyes:

4 WCs into qualifying, but if it's a weak turnout, I'm sure more will get in. :)

· Registered
11,608 Posts
roby said:
Honestly, most WC in the qualifying draw will be given to Chinese players. In the main draw, Capriati and Dokic will sure be given WC in the main draw due to their late entering. Other WC in the main draw will probably go to some "top" Chinese players as well.
Capriati & Dokic are the Top 2 in the "next-in MD" list, so they'll most likely get in by their own merit.

· Registered
11,608 Posts
roby said:
I don't know any of these Chinese players very much. That is a fact. Local fans only pursue western players. The Chinese players often come as a national team even in such an individual event. They never enter any tournement alone. This year they play more WTA events because the Olympics counts WTA points (or something like that). So as I say, they are far from being professionals.
Peng Shuai is a Professional individual. ;)

I don't think she'll play Shanghai though. She's most likely going to play her remaining 7 events as a 17 year old in US Challengers.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.