Tennis Forum banner

21 - 40 of 62 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,532 Posts
What I like about Naomi the most is her honesty AND of course the charming On-Court Interviews. In a recent Article on the ESPN Tennis Section Site Naomi explains how she struggled with shyness and how difficult it was for her to string sentences together. That she was so nervous when talking to the like of Jay-Z or Beyonce.

When Tennis comes back at some Point presumably in 2021 I am going to get a little bit greedy, lol.
I want her to win more Slams. She has the perfect Coach/Team Player on her side with Wim Fissette. I am absolutely convinced she can nap a Slam with him.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Some simona fans need to get over it and understand that Naomi has more potential in major markets than her. Is is that tough to understand? Her eng skills make her appeal to west like maria and her japanese connection helps her in asia. It makes endorsers bet on her and new nike line coming this year where she will have causal wears with them. More she is also investing in equity and business than mere endorser. Calling her fluke already? She is not 23 yet ( how many slams simona had won before 23rd birthday ? ) and can always become a better player with time. So let's not use crystal ball to write her off.

And she gets lot of support from crowd these days bcoz of her appeal to public. She is what brands look in athlete. She is rumored to be face of olympics and if she pulls it off there in tokyo, she will enter league of 50 million usd yearly endorser list. She has just that factor.

Good for Naomi but i hope she doesn't lose focus on her game and improve it whenever tour starts again. Endorsements will always be there, but titles is what matters and more the titles, more endorsements for her.
I agree peak Naomi vs peak Simona will result in Naomi winning in straight sets.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Rich quite simply because Japan and America are huge PR markets, if she was Polish/Belarussian she wouldn't be, she is nice but plain boring, doesn't have the star quality to attract the masses, the general casual public, very few players have the ability to transcend the sport and attract fans to watch when they have only a passive interest in Tennis, Sharapova, Serena and Venus really the only 3 the last 20 years. She could have 1 billion dollars and still if she walked down my high street nobody would no who she was. Though with that kind of money I doubt she'd care, in fact given her shyness which I think is genuine, she'd probably prefer it.

·
Registered
635 Posts
One thing to note is that this total includes prize money also.
Someone said that she has 'only' won 5 tournaments, but don't forget that the 5 is made up of 2 slams and 2 premier mandatories.
She also made it to the QF of 3 out of 5 Premier 5 events.
The prize money for these events are huge.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
But still, she is not the same player without the lip filling queen.

·
Registered
31,115 Posts
The Japanese players are really racking in cash. Both Osaka and Nishikori have 15 sponsors (many Japan-only). Federer has 13 partners, above Nadal (8) and Djokvic (6) according to their websites.

Japan's population is old and shrinking so it's a bit of a mystery as to why their stars can command such contracts.

Naomi doesn't have to kill herself on the court. A deep Slam run and making the final in Tokyo every year will be enough to keep her income at $35M + for as long as she wants to.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
The Japanese players are really racking in cash. Both Osaka and Nishikori have 15 sponsors (many Japan-only). Federer has 13 partners, above Nadal (8) and Djokvic (6) according to their websites.

Japan's population is old and shrinking so it's a bit of a mystery as to why their stars can command such contracts.

Naomi doesn't have to kill herself on the court. A deep Slam run and making the final in Tokyo every year will be enough to keep her income at $35M + for as long as she wants to.
If she can do this for another 10+ years....that will be a very tidy sum for her.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
113,373 Posts
I figured Osaka, Andreescu & Gauff would be raking in the cash off court. Osaka really must have some nice deals to be so high up

·
Registered
1,966 Posts

Lol right?

It's why she can afford to buy a huge mansion in LA, while also taking a private jet to Florida to surprise her Mom for Mother's Day. And she honestly deserves it, imo.

For stars like Osaka with huge $ contracts, killing herself every week on tour isn't necessary. I mean, she failed to defend her AO title in a pretty embarrassing loss to Gauff, and went home to present a line at NYFW instead of sweating it out in the Middle East with the other peasants. She obviously remains super focused on her tennis but also knows where the money and attention is at (Sunshine Double, well, before it was cancelled) and that works to her advantage.

·
Registered
4,623 Posts
Disagree. You can’t manufacture awkwardness like that the way you can charisma and what not.

I think what off puts people sometimes is her vulnerability. Comparatively, it’s also why she’s at the top of this list.

The irony is that I think she is going to get way more GLAM over time and that’s only going to boost this.

And by glam I mean Kuznetsova glam- might not be pretty constantly but when she does it up it’s insane and every single thing is designer bb

Kuznetsova is my style icon.

·
Premium Member
3,532 Posts
Lol right?

It's why she can afford to buy a huge mansion in LA, while also taking a private jet to Florida to surprise her Mom for Mother's Day. And she honestly deserves it, imo.

For stars like Osaka with huge $ contracts, killing herself every week on tour isn't necessary. I mean, she failed to defend her AO title in a pretty embarrassing loss to Gauff, and went home to present a line at NYFW instead of sweating it out in the Middle East with the other peasants. She obviously remains super focused on her tennis but also knows where the money and attention is at (Sunshine Double, well, before it was cancelled) and that works to her advantage.
Have you seen some Pictures of her Home in LA? They even a Swimming Pool there as well as other Fitness Tools. Now I know why she still looks so fit.
At AO similar to USO last year she faced the most amount of pressure. With the AO Points now off I expect some upward trajectory from her when Tennis Returns. I think she will win Miami in the next few years.

Compare this with someone like Dominik Thiem who still lives at home with his parents with no fitness tools at all and Thiem has been to 3 Slam Finals.

·
Registered
4,526 Posts
Osaka is young and with a slam winning career that could be just starting so it is not surprising that all the big companies want to snap her up now before their rivals do. Winning two successive slams and getting to no 1 in the world, it looked like she could dominate and maybe she will again when tennis resumes. Add to that her personality and the fact that Japan does not have that many famous sports stars or global stars of any kind - the path is clear for her. The speed at which she was signed up was much faster than any player I can think of.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Outside of tennis Naomi is in the "right" Hollywood crowd like the Williams I always see her hanging out with famous designers, musicians etc. Naomi appearing on the Ellen show and their twitter hustle with Micheal B Jordan (Creed/ black panther) was huge I haven't see any other tennis star outside S. Get this love.

·
Registered
14,728 Posts
This is undoubtedly true, but I've never really understood the reason why. Japan is a wealthy enough country but the economy has stalled for years and their level of development is not really that high considering tennis is a sport of the wealthy. The country also doesn't have that many people. When you compare it to the size of the the Spanish, English and Chinese-speaking markets and the wealth in the European market it seems wild that Nishikori/Osaka would outstrip their far more accomplished rivals and so easily as well. Given Japan has a reputation (and I stress, reputation) for being xenophobic and racially prejudiced against biracial Japanese people, I guess it's possible she could have earned even more if she was mono-ethnic and had more of a Japanese cultural upbringing.
It is not just Japon . It is all Asia and in others sports too even the small one ( Diving for example)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
Dude get over it.

That ship has sailed long ago — before you ever even heard of her (once the USTA failed to support her as a junior, she was morally free to pick up the pieces and look for help elsewhere.
Learn how to read properly. I didn't criticise her choice, I'm just explaining why she's so high on earnings.

21 - 40 of 62 Posts