Tennis Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
25,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Martina had retired for a long while of course, so I had forgotten how good she was at net. Of course her touch is deft, but it's much more than that. Her vision and anticipation at net are better than any of the curretn players I've seen. And she has better control while airborne, moving sideways, and reaching across her body that most players have standing still, on balance.

Most volley-ers are far less than crisp if their feet are off the ground, or they're off balance. I'm not sure Navratilova can GET off balance.

Enough with the homage, on to the question(s).

Who among today's active players, under age 40, is the most ATHLETIC volley-er? That is, the person who can move side to side very quickly, and jump high, AND gets effective volleys off in all that athleticism. The Younes El Aynaoui of the women's game, not the Tim Henman.

Who among today's active players, under age 40, has the most control over their volleys when on the move? That is, they're already at net, and are being forced to move sideways, jump up to return offensive lobs, that sort of thing. (Hingis isn't 'active', otherwise, this question isn't one.

Who plays the net most like Navratilova? This is likely NOT the current best doubles player. (Actually, Navratilova may BE the best current doubles player. If you paired her with Venus, who could beat them?)

Reactions: *JR*

·
I'm so current, I'm tomorrow.
49,309 Posts
It's ATP, but I was most impressed with Taylor Dent yesterday - lunging and jumping and dipping.

For women - Mauresmo is hugely athletic at net.

·
Registered
25,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Seles said:
For women - Mauresmo is hugely athletic at net.
Good choice. She's just hurt so much we don't get to see her enough.

·
Registered
17,922 Posts
Lisa Raymond can be amazing at net! Ai is terrific, but we never get to see her. Venus also can be fantastic up there, and Justine is impressive as well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts