Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Devoted Capriati-Ite
185,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems as of late I have been suffering from my Doc has termed a "nervous breakdown". I am not comftrable with that termonology, but I suppose it is an apt descrition of what I am going through. I have always had a major problem with "Anxiety" and I tend to have frequent "Panic Attacks". Lately, however, the problem has taken a turn for the worse. There are times when I just can't do anything. Something as simple as driving has turned impossible, I'm just far to nervous. I tend to tremble and shake. I can't think straight.I have problems breathing, etc. I really don't understand all the whys and wherefores of it, but I am presently in Toronto and will be seeking treatment. I really do not know what all that entails, but I do know that I can't continue as I have been. I hope that by posting this, there is someone who can offer some insight into this problem.

·
Registered
28,582 Posts
I can't really offer some insight, but from a bystanders point of vie I sort of understand... my sister has the same problem, and is constantly changing medications, trying to find something that works.

I have anxiety problems myself, though not quite at that level, so I can understand on a very very small scale.

I hope that you'll be okay, Barrie Dude! I'm glad to hear that you are seeking treatment for it.

Take care of yourself!

·
Devoted Capriati-Ite
185,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rebecca said:
I can't really offer some insight, but from a bystanders point of vie I sort of understand... my sister has the same problem, and is constantly changing medications, trying to find something that works.

I have anxiety problems myself, though not quite at that level, so I can understand on a very very small scale.

I hope that you'll be okay, Barrie Dude! I'm glad to hear that you are seeking treatment for it.

Take care of yourself!
Thank you Becca! I wil be okay. I'm luky in that I have no pride and am seeking help. That is perhaps the smartest thing I can do. Glad you are out there! ;)

·
Premium Member
21,309 Posts
It seems to me you are suffering from panic disorder which affects quite a lot of people, but obviously I'm not a professional so....by the way was that your general practicioner that told you were suffering from a nervous breakdown? I'd wait for a proper diagnosis from someone more qualified (i.e. psychiatrist)...my experience with GP's (I dont know if they call them that where you're from?) is that they are often wrong when it comes to diagnosing mental illness and are just happy to dish out the latest drug.

Anyway, you are seeking treatment and that is a great step forward :) Good luck.

·
Devoted Capriati-Ite
185,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for your support

·
Registered
13,635 Posts
I always try to focus on something small. I start to watch a movie (on video), watch tv or write crap on this board (it sounds weird but it helps a little). there was a time when it was at it worse that I took showers all the time. just try to focus on something otherwise you can get caught in your fear. (I mean that it doesn't go away again)

and ts is right that shrinks think the problems can be resolved with pills. that's why I refuse to take them but then I have a good excuse as I am sensitive for epileptic attacks (I had them after taking pills ones when I was doing really bad and was scared that I would start to hallucinate )

·
Devoted Capriati-Ite
185,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
irma said:
I always try to focus on something small. I start to watch a movie (on video), watch tv or write crap on this board (it sounds weird but it helps a little). there was a time when it was at it worse that I took showers all the time. just try to focus on something otherwise you can get caught in your fear. (I mean that it doesn't go away again)

and ts is right that shrinks think the problems can be resolved with pills. that's why I refuse to take them but then I have a good excuse as I am sensitive for epileptic attacks (I had them after taking pills ones when I was doing really bad and was scared that I would start to hallucinate )
Well, I wish I could handle it ny myself. But I cam't. In fact, in a couple of hours I need to check into the hospital. I have tried to shake this but can't. This is why I'n doing what I'n doing now.

·
Banned
8,642 Posts
Hi Barrie- I'm happy to hear that you have sought treatment. Its a disorder that many suffer with and i wish you all the best. Remember, there is no magic cure and you might have to battle with it all your life but it is manageble, so go easy on yourself. As Becca alluded to sometimes it takes people years to find the right treatment. :wavey:

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
I have an anxiety problem and have had a panic attack on one occasion. I hope my problem doesnt escalate as it seems yours has. I hope you get everything taken care of.

·
Devoted Capriati-Ite
185,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, still waiting on a bed at St. Joes.

·
stubborn procrastinator
109,570 Posts
All the best and take care, Barrie!! :)

·
Registered
8,402 Posts
Oh, don' t worry all will be " okay ". It' s not really original, but I wish you all the very best too, you deserves it :)

·
Devoted Capriati-Ite
185,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I've tried to give everyone Rep points that have been kind enough to post here, but I am getting that "yOU HAVE GIVEN OUT TOO MANY REP POINTS...." THINGY. iMAGINE THAT! mE GETTING THAT? lIKE i'M NOT SUPPOSED TO BE POSITIVE? pFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF!

·
3,726 Posts
OH MY GOD, Barrie you'll have Anton and all the Flems in here quicker than you can say prozac now ;)

Joking aside, depressive illness at whatever level is hard to deal with, the fact that you actually accept theres a problem, is good in a way, means youre not deluding yourself and that means the problem isnt quite so bad. Your doing the right thing, and you will get through this.

In terms of drug treatment, again im not its biggest fan, but sometimes you need a helping hand with medication to actually be able to get out and address the cause(s) of the problem.

Hang in there and all the very best of luck to you :)

and please no rep points, i didnt post for those and i really dont want them

·
Devoted Capriati-Ite
185,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Julie said:
OH MY GOD, Barrie you'll have Anton and all the Flems in here quicker than you can say prozac now ;)

Joking aside, depressive illness at whatever level is hard to deal with, the fact that you actually accept theres a problem, is good in a way, means youre not deluding yourself and that means the problem isnt quite so bad. Your doing the right thing, and you will get through this.

In terms of drug treatment, again im not its biggest fan, but sometimes you need a helping hand with medication to actually be able to get out and address the cause(s) of the problem.

Hang in there and all the very best of luck to you :)

and please no rep points, i didnt post for those and i really dont want them
:eek: What?!?! :eek:

Actually, I'm not suprised at all to find you here with something kind to say. I mean, it's just a Julie sort of thing (or, as we used to say in Alabama, "thang")
I believe a part of the problem is the fact that I've been trying to do it alone, and I just can't deal with life that way. I'm not Greta Garbo, I do not want to be alone!
Plus, this anxiety thing is just so outrageous! It just really messes with the way you think and the way you do things. Now, I am fairly smart (IQ=125) but I really do some stupid things!!!! It is the day to day stuff that the average person takes for granted that I have the most diffuculty with. Imean, doing laundry is a real chore! And, guess what, a big part of it is that I am BORED!!!! I am not nearly challenged enough on any level and I do work I hate just to support myself. I would much rather be writing than anything else! I'd love to be a writer!
But I digress! I do think I have been treated very well here and I appriciate it greatly!

·
Devoted Capriati-Ite
185,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
On my way to Toronto Western Hospital in Toronto to see my shrink-ette. Will likely wind up in assesment for at least 21 days and go from there.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts