Tennis Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About 35 years to so ago, Neely and I were both up against each other for a coveted Tony award. She was up for "Tell Me, Darling" and I was up for "The Arborist." Anyway, EVERYONE on Broadway knew that I was clearly the best of the year, but I had won so many Tony awards in the past and Neely had just licked booze, pills, and the funny farm and this was her "comeback" role, so everyone, including me, expected Neely to win. Did I add that I have a lead Oscar and Neely only has a supporting one? I just wanted to remind you.

Anyway, at the ceremony, it was indeed Neely who won. I sat with a nice pleasant frozen smile that did not look too fake even though I was DYING inside because Neely is SUCH A BITCH! But no one could tell because I am an actress after all. Neely gets to the stage, gets her award, thanks Lyon Burke, the whole deal, and then says, "and I want to thank that awful old battle-ax granny, Helen Lawson! She is older than Manhattan island. If she hadn't have thrown me out of her show I never would have made it big! Here's to you, you old bitch, eat your heart out!" With that Neely gave me a crude gesture with her middle finger and left the stage! The crowd was outraged at Neely's rudeness and how ungracious she was to me, on her big night of victory.

·
Banned
886 Posts
You deserved it Polident Gal! The way you tried to compete with actresses like me who are old enough to be your great granddaughter. Listen hon you had your ingenue days with Luise Rainer and Janet Gaynor why are you trying to move in on my turf? HA!

·
Enemy of Art
14,039 Posts
Don't knock Luise, she won as many Oscars in two years as both of you bitches have put together! While being married to a Commie 'mo playwright to boot!

·
Registered
19,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Screw you, Neely! Everyone knows the understudy was better than you in "Tell Me, Darling." In fact, Richard Dryfuss was better than you and he was a stagehand. It was a PITY Tony Award, all of mine were for hard-fought, well-won roles, and there have been SEVERAL!

I am ten times better that Luise Rainer! How in the hell does a woman win an Oscar for playing a Chinese peasant with a Viennese accent? Sorry, I have been to China many times, the peasants there do not speak with a Viennese accent. At least my buddy Mary Louise Streep would have nailed the accent. Plus, Luise was only nominated twice and I have been nominated FIVE, count 'em, FIVE times! So, in my book, one Oscar with four losses is better than two Oscars with no losses, see what I mean?

Plus, I sang in many of my flicks. Luise cannot sing. That is the test for a real actress.

·
Banned
886 Posts
Look Edythe, you're still munching on sour grapes because Vivien Leigh beat you out for Scarlet and then you had to become just another bit player. Or are you still bellyaching about thinking you had the Oscar in the bag (you believed you're own press, ha!) but the angelic Loretta Young snuffed your lights out that year? Then Olivia de Havilland upstaged you for The Heiress (you have to admit, Livvy was just too good).Then there were a couple more chances to win the big one but you lost again and that made you cry into tomorrow. HA! Then Barbara Graham came and typecasting FINALLY got you the Academy Award at AGE 40. I won mine at 16, hon, 16! HA!

·
Registered
19,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry, babe, you can rationalize all you want to, but a leading Oscar is WAY better than a supporting Oscar. No one remembers supporting actress winners 5 minutes after the ceremony. My feet and hands are in gold dust and concrete at the Chinese Theatre hon, and they are there to stay. I did not get there by playing second lead to someone like Bancroft! The Loretta Young win was fixed, and everyone knows it. Lo' never got $50,000 for two weeks work and 4 scenes, so the proof is there, I was better than she was!

My big Barbara Graham film is out on DVD in a keepsake special collectors edition. That crap you did at 16 is only available on VHS. So there!

·
Banned
886 Posts
Supporting, shmorting! I still got an Oscar, hon. HA!

And Edythe what's this I hear about your screen test for GWTW being abysmal. Face it, grams, you're no Viv Leigh and never was!

Oh, babe, look at this bio on you:

It would take several years of studio subsidized acting and voice lessons before her talent would emerge. Edythe's personality is usually described as cold, icy, and aloof. She did not like socializing with crowds. She disliked homosexuals and effeminate men. Her taste in love ran strictly to the masculine, and both of her husbands were rugged Southerners. She loved sport fishing, and owned three ocean going boats for that purpose. Movie directors enjoyed Edythe's professionalism and her high standards. She was considered easy to work with, but she was not chummy after the cameras stopped

"Easy to work with?" HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I'm NEEEEEELLLY OHARRRRRRAAA!

·
Registered
19,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Neely, hon, it may have taken me a few years to get into the Hollywood mold, and maybe I married two studly hunk-o-men (who unlike you were not old enough to be my father), so sue me!

Get a load of one of your recent film reviews:

"Canadian made fourth sequel to the smash hit The Amityville Horror about five friends who buy a house in Amityville as an investment, and very, very slowly creepy things happen. The trouble all stems from the former owner of the house, a priest who was shot to death in his confession booth. The booth now resides in the basement of the house.

"Almost twenty-four hours prior to writing this review, I would have told you that no film, no matter how bad, in the remainder of the Amityville series would ever be as awful as Amityville 4 ended up being. Unfortunately, I had no idea that an hour and a half later I would be eating those words. The Amityville Curse is a really bad movie.

"The lead actress (Dawna Wightman) upstages even Neely O'Hara's poor acting, to the point where she becomes impossible to watch without cringing. Towards the end of the movie she lets out these insipid screams of terror that sounds about as close to a rusty chainsaw dragged across corrugated metal as it can be. As far as I can tell, this film was her only role and I won't be hurt if it stays that way."

The Amityville Curse, huh, Neely? Really, following 4 sequels behind Margot Kidder, NOT GOOD! You can lose your Academy membership for crap like this. I guess in 20 years, this is what Marisa Tomei and Mira Sorvina will be making!

·
Enemy of Art
14,039 Posts
Hey. Everyone knows in '47 that Loretta beat Roz Russell out for her sure win, not yours, Helen. Freddy March even started to say "Rosalind" before he caught himself.

Anyway, more actors with as many/more Oscars than the two of you put together:

Katharine Hepburn
Ingrid Bergman
Maggie Smith
Spencer Tracy (snicker)
Jack Nicholson (guffaw)
Dianne Wiest (ha!)
Walter Brennan! Walter Brennan!!

Makes one wish they didn't make "The Conqueror," eh?

·
Registered
19,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Everyone knows that supporting Oscars do not count. At all. It is like winning a doubles title against a singles title. So we can scratch Weist and Brennan off the list. Maggie Smith really only has one Oscar (leading) and it was a weak year. A brilliant actress, but she is no Barbara Graham, and she cannot sing either. Neither Smith nor Bergman is physically talented enough to lip synch, dance, and dodge a Calder mobile, all at the same time, like I did. That is the true test for an actress. No way could Bergman get "Helen Lawson mean" like me! Nicolson and Tracy were men, Hollywood likes men better. Begrudgingly, I will concede to you Miss Hepburn, though given the chance, I could have done Ethel Thayer, Eleanor of Aquitaine, and all those other boring broads she played just as well.

The Conqueror--a bad career move for all involved, on many levels. :(

·
Banned
886 Posts
Pfft, Hel. Uh, you're no Merle Oberon, you old wench!

·
Registered
19,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Talk about a no talent. That broad was not good enough to spit-shine my patent leather pumps!

She was friends with that old screwed-my-way-to-the-top-thank-you-Irving-Thalberg, Shearer! If Thalberg had not croaked in '37, that old lazy-eyed broad would have been Scarlett. At least Viv was up the role, though she could never do an authentic Southern accent, Scarlett and Blanche be damned!

·
Banned
886 Posts
Talk about bitter. Merle's acting was affected by all that bronze foundation she was wearing.

And excuse me, Shearer did NOT screw her way to the top. Jayne Mansfield did.

·
Registered
19,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Like hell she didn't! Miss Lotta Miles (as Crawford used to call her) went from tire ad model to Oscar winner, all with a lazy eye and tree-trunk/piano legs. Nope, it had nuthin' to do with getting balled by Thalberg, nothing at all. I guess she landed the role of Juliet at age 39 based on looks and talent?

Mansfield had to screw her way to the top, ladder step, by latter step, by ladder step. Shearer landed the mother load with Irving. Don't fool yourself Neely! And you thought marrying that fruitcake Ted Casablanca would further your career! At least Shearer did it right!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts