Tennis Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to get a new racquet, since my old Prince one is all worn out and almost un-playable. But it's been 6 years since I last bought a tennis racquet and I don't have a clue about what to look for.

This time round, I wanna get a Yonex. I like the RDX500 (the one Lleyton Hewitt uses), but it doesn't look as if its good for power hitters. I'm a power-player myself, so I want a racquet that would make hitting heavy groundstrokes easier.

So...

1. Would I be looking for a racquet with tight string tension?

2. The bigger the racquet-head, the bigger the power?

3. Would racquet size also matter? For example, the RDX500 has a smaller head than say the V-Con series, so would it be right to say the V-Con is better at hitting heavy groundstrokes than the RDX500?

4. I noticed there are a range of Yonex racquets called the "Muscle Power series". Just going by the name itself, would those range of racquets be the most obvious choice for power-playing?

Thanks in advance ;)

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
Musashino said:
I want to get a new racquet, since my old Prince one is all worn out and almost un-playable. But it's been 6 years since I last bought a tennis racquet and I don't have a clue about what to look for.

This time round, I wanna get a Yonex. I like the RDX500 (the one Lleyton Hewitt uses), but it doesn't look as if its good for power hitters. I'm a power-player myself, so I want a racquet that would make hitting heavy groundstrokes easier.

So...

3. Would racquet size also matter? For example, the RDX500 has a smaller head than say the V-Con series, so would it be right to say the V-Con is better at hitting heavy groundstrokes than the RDX500?

4. I noticed there are a range of Yonex racquets called the "Muscle Power series". Just going by the name itself, would those range of racquets be the most obvious choice for power-playing?

Thanks in advance ;)
Well first of--don't fall into the trap of buying a racquet that one of your favorite players uses because you like them! Make sure to buy a racquet that suits your personal taste.

I'm not a racquet expert, but the best advice I can give you is to demo the racquet before you buy it! If you just order one online without even using it first, you could be unpleasantly surprised.

Reactions: Veritas

·
Registered
11,675 Posts
Hmm, My game sounds like yours. Heavy Topspin shots. I would try out the Wilson NCODE (the one davenport usus, gaudio, etc.) or the Head Prestige (i. or liquidmetal both are good :) ) THe yonex Daniela Hantuchova currently used would be good too. Go here to look at raquets www.tenniswarehouse.com

·
Registered
4,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thelittlestelf said:
Well first of--don't fall into the trap of buying a racquet that one of your favorite players uses because you like them!
Unfortunately, that's what I did when I got the Prince graphite back in 1998 - the same one Michael Chang used ;)

Fortunately, that racquet turned out pretty good.

thelittlestelf said:
Make sure to buy a racquet that suits your personal taste.
Hmm. I do know what kind of racquet I want - one that gives off a lot of groundstroke firepower, but problem is, I don't have any idea which type of racquet suits my needs. I did take a look at Lleyton Hewitt's one, but that had a $349 price tag (Aussie $$$, of course) and now, I'm not sure what to get.

thelittlestelf said:
I'm not a racquet expert, but the best advice I can give you is to demo the racquet before you buy it! If you just order one online without even using it first, you could be unpleasantly surprised.
First, thanks for the advice ;)

Second, I did happen to try out a couple of Yonex racquets. I have given one of the Yonex Ultimums a hit out, and I liked it, but I want to know whether there are better Yonex choices out there first.

Third, I won't ever resort to internet shopping. I don't even have a credit card myself :eek:

·
Registered
4,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
-ernie- said:
Hmm, My game sounds like yours. Heavy Topspin shots.

Touche! That is definitely the game I'm comfortable with.

ernie said:
I would try out the Wilson NCODE (the one davenport usus, gaudio, etc.) or the Head Prestige (i. or liquidmetal both are good :) ) THe yonex Daniela Hantuchova currently used would be good too. Go here to look at raquets www.tenniswarehouse.com
Thanks for the website :)

The Hantuchova one you mentioned, Ultimum RD Ti-80, seems to be a light racquet. It also sounds like a good choice for hard hitters.

A couple more questions here:

1. Would racquet weight be a factor as well? Such as, the heavier a racquet, the more power it produces?

2. What good would "dampening vibration" of a racquet do? I used to use those clip things you put on the strings, but I didn't find much difference with or without it.

·
Registered
11,675 Posts
Musashino said:
-ernie- said:
Hmm, My game sounds like yours. Heavy Topspin shots.

Touche! That is definitely the game I'm comfortable with.

Thanks for the website :)

The Hantuchova one you mentioned, Ultimum RD Ti-80, seems to be a light racquet. It also sounds like a good choice for hard hitters.

A couple more questions here:

1. Would racquet weight be a factor as well? Such as, the heavier a racquet, the more power it produces?

2. What good would "dampening vibration" of a racquet do? I used to use those clip things you put on the strings, but I didn't find much difference with or without it.

hmmm, yea i'd say weight has a pretty big say in it. I think its more relieving to your arm with a lighter raquet but.....i think you may have more control with a bit heavier raquet. I'd look into the Red Ncode (not the federer one) its the one i use and i like it alot so far! The string pattern gives you extra spin too :yeah:

·
Registered
4,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
-ernie- said:
Musashino said:
hmmm, yea i'd say weight has a pretty big say in it. I think its more relieving to your arm with a lighter raquet but.....i think you may have more control with a bit heavier raquet. I'd look into the Red Ncode (not the federer one) its the one i use and i like it alot so far! The string pattern gives you extra spin too :yeah:
Ah yes, my old racquet was a light one, but it could muster up some monster groundstrokes, especially on the forehand side.

But when I gave one of my friend's heavier Yonex a try, it was heavier, but it made killer shots on all sides! Hell, I could even bring up a couple of backhand winners, something I used to never be able to do ;)

One more thing: What did you mean by "string patterns"? How do they affect the overall game and ball shots? Like, what kind of "string pattern" would I look for as a power hitter?

Thanks again :)

·
Registered
11,675 Posts
Musashino said:
-ernie- said:
Ah yes, my old racquet was a light one, but it could muster up some monster groundstrokes, especially on the forehand side.

But when I gave one of my friend's heavier Yonex a try, it was heavier, but it made killer shots on all sides! Hell, I could even bring up a couple of backhand winners, something I used to never be able to do ;)

One more thing: What did you mean by "string patterns"? How do they affect the overall game and ball shots? Like, what kind of "string pattern" would I look for as a power hitter?

Depends if you hit flat or with heavy spin. If you have a lot of spin you might wanna go for 16by16(for the mains and crosses) or even 16by 18. 18by 18 wont grab the ball as much so therefore it will create a flatter ball. So it really relies on your game i must say.

·
Registered
4,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
-ernie- said:
Musashino said:
Depends if you hit flat or with heavy spin. If you have a lot of spin you might wanna go for 16by16(for the mains and crosses) or even 16by 18. 18by 18 wont grab the ball as much so therefore it will create a flatter ball. So it really relies on your game i must say.
O.K. So I guess I should go for the strong, heavy-hitting, top-spin choice, which is the 16by16 or the 16by18.

·
Registered
11,378 Posts
Musashino said:

So...

Thanks in advance ;)
Well, I don't think you could say the RDX500 would be bad for power hitters based on the fact that Lleyton uses it, considering Joachim Johansson does as well. :p That aside:

1. Yes, tighter strings equal more control, and more spin as they grip the ball a bit more

2. Generally yes

3. Racket size does matter, but the bigger head doesn't necessarily mean those things. It also depends on the structure of the frame and stuff like that.

4. Not a clue :p

Hope this helps

Reactions: Veritas
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.