Tennis Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All---- just looking for some advice on how to break out of a big slump in my tennis game. I have been losing matches to opponents that I should never lose to and it is really pissing me off. My confidence level is going down and I just dont get it. I have been hitting the ball really well, but I seem to come apart at the important points. For example, in my match last nite, I was up 5-2 serving for the 1st set and totally just blanked out and lost my serivice game at love. Now I did get it back together to win the set 6-4 but I should have won it 6-2. Then I was up a break in the 2nd and played another sloppy service game and lost the 2nd set 5-7. I ended up losing the match 7-10 in the 3rd set super tie-breaker. :sad::sad: Worst off.... this guy I should have never lost to but I fell apart. I got so bad that I had a total meltdown on the court when his teammates started trying to make line calls and foot fault calls from the stand that I told them shut the f*#$ up and that they were not allowed to make calls and if they didnt like it they could call the fucking referree:tape:. Now, you have to now me and know that I rarely show emotion on the court save the occassional "come on".

How do I get out of this funk?? What have you guys done when this has happened to you? I def. NEVER want to lose my cool like I did last nite again, but I am just so :fiery: that I keep losing these matches that I shouldnt. Thanks in advance for your advice:worship:

·
Registered
574 Posts
yeah I suggest maybe take a break to get your mind to focus...

Is there something that's bothering you in your personal life? :confused: That might contribute to it.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
peachfuzz said:
yeah I suggest maybe take a break to get your mind to focus...

Is there something that's bothering you in your personal life? :confused: That might contribute to it.
Nothing much out of the ordinary... mu job is very stressful, but that is nothing new. I have played tennis for a very long time, I know what I need to do out there, but it just isnt coming together. I do think a break would help, but my team has 8 more matches to play through the end of July--- then I am taking a month off to regroup physically and mentally. What can I do in the immediate to turn it around????

·
Registered
9,216 Posts
Not knowing your tennis habits, my only suggestion would be to go out there and practice your serve. I don't mean practice for 15 or 20 minutes, I mean really spend a few hours every day if necessary (and practical) to do nothing but practice serves- every different kind and really work on the ones you have difficulty with until they become comfortable choices for you. When that gets to be too much- try playing only points with a hitting partner- no score, just whoever wins the point keeps serving. This is very helpful in that it makes you concentrate on only the ball and constructing the point right from the serve, and keeps your mind off of erroneous things like your opponent and why you got to this horrible place in a set you should have won- there is no set score, just win the point you are playing and keep serving, moving on to the next box after each point regardless of who wins the point.

Good luck, and remember the Billie Jean King advice- "GO FOR IT!"

·
Banned
6,784 Posts
you know i see it like this.... i played on a high school team and i kinda sucked but got a lot better in college when i filled out and just played for fun. the longer you put your time in eventually one would think it will pay off. I wish i was young like you and able to compete on that level. if you think long term then the details tend to fade. maybe working out a little more focused and strengthening you legs and body will help compensate for eventual mental lapses that we all go through?

·
Registered
39,336 Posts
I was in a serious slump last year as well. espacially in the summer. it was clearly cuz of my confidence cuz I won everything in doubles.
What helped me to come out of this slump was simply an injury. I had a chipped bone in the back and had to recover very long and couldnt play for 2 months. After that I came back with no expectations and changed my racket and service technique. That raised my game and in the winter I won a lot of matches and I am really on a rol this year.

There is no real key to have success immideately again. I am sorry to say that but its simply true. The only adivce I can give you is to focus on your first serve percentage, dont go for aces, try to have a high percentage in. VERY IMPORTANT is to fight. I am a big fighter and last year I sometimes stopped fighting at 2-6 1-4 down. This year I played the same opponent and it was a similair standing, set and break down but I kept fighting and eventually won it.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks everyone. I will work on the serve, and just try to have more fun instead of so much pressure!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts