Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
44,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found this on the ESPN message board

NBC is reporting that early Nielson ratings indicate the All Belgian final generated little or no interest... The match yielded a .3 rating... Compared to the record breaking ratings the Williams Sisters produced this is really disappointing to the network... NBC fears they may have to reimburse advertisers... They sold the match projecting a 2.0 Nielson...

·
Registered
11,233 Posts
:eek:

That sounds terrible. :-/

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
How would ratings already be known?

Anyway, a .3 rating is terrible and I really hope it isn't true. It's a catch-22 because this will discourage NBC from showing more tennis and will liekly lead to them doing more tape delay stuff and all to ensure popular players are shown...but then that leads to many tennis fans being upset with the poor coverage.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
Wait - wasn't ESPN getting a .7 rating for its coverage during the week? No way NBC's - i.e. a major network - coverage got less than 50% of the viewers that ESPN got...I just don't see that being possible. Cable always gets fewer viewers than the main 4 networks.

·
Registered
15,226 Posts
It's not really surprising... of course a final with two Americans is going to generate more interest on American tv... I bet the ratings in Belgium were sky high though :)

·
Banned
4,078 Posts
What were the ratings in Belgium?

and what about that other thread that said the final outdrew the NBA final or whatever? Anyway, I wouldn't trust what you read off a message board, man. Wait until the final rating is out, as I don't believe it is yet.

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
41,227 Posts
ratings in belgium are not published yet...but I bet they are huge.

There were big screens on lots of public places too..

·
Registered
20,942 Posts
Probably the ratings would be known since the program was on live in the US in all time zones (someone please correct me if I am incorrent) and on in the morning. If the ESPN message board report is true, this is bad news for NBC becasue they just signed a new contract to carry the French Open until 2006, I believe and they sold advertising thikining that at least one American woman would be in the final because the American women have won each Grans Slam since the 2000 Wimbeldon.

BTW, the ratings were worse than I expected. I thought they would at least get a 1.0.

PS: I don't think the fact that it was a all-Belgian final wasn't the only reason people tuned out in the US; that stunt Justine pulled on Serena on Thrusday and her comments about the Wiliams sisters afterward may have turned many people off.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
That's not shocking. The popularity of Venus and Serena along with their advertising power made the all-Williams finals a ratings hit. The all-Belgian final wasn't well received in the US because it lacked the "star" quality. I'm sure they were ratings hits in their own country.

·
Registered
20,942 Posts
jenglisbe said:
Wait - wasn't ESPN getting a .7 rating for its coverage during the week? No way NBC's - i.e. a major network - coverage got less than 50% of the viewers that ESPN got...I just don't see that being possible. Cable always gets fewer viewers than the main 4 networks.
It is possible for cable to outdraw the major networks now since more people watch cable than the six major networks in the US.

·
Registered
21,802 Posts
whew... that's horrible. horrid... I bet the belmont stakes will get a 3.0 at least... that's sad when a damn horse gets more ratings than humans playing.... :eek:

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Lol I expected as much. at least during the week espn could show interesting players and a variety of players. the final we were stuck with two belgians yawn with no personality double yawn. okay kim does have personality but can she be any more sweeter? if you bite her i bet she tastes like honey.

·
Registered
17,731 Posts
I can tell you that in Europe it will have gone throught eh roof. When the Belgian Babes get to the US Open the americans will warm to them.

Also clay court tennis is not that popular in the US is it?

·
Registered
21,059 Posts
I couldn't care less. Justine is holding that trophy and that is enough for me!

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
You need home players doing well in a sport to make the program really interesting:

I remember back in '95 finals were also broadcasted on Belgian tennis, and were in the top ten of worst sports investments (I must have been the only watching at the time). I guess the situation is indeed quite different now.

In contrast to me many people don't like the sport of tennis, they just like a Belgian winning at whatever sport, and I guess America is no different (well, I'm sure)

1 - 20 of 84 Posts