Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At her press conference Martina was asked which player she would like to coach. On the man's side she said Roger Federer: "That would be easy. He has got it all already" and on the woman's side she chose Justine: "I like the way she uses the court and exploit it further. She would be the most fun to coach with her ability and the way she plays already" :D

http://www.usopen.org/en_US/news/interviews/2003-08-28/200308281062120233475.html
(the question is not in the transcript but at the end of the videoclip)

·
Registered
21,059 Posts
Who wouldn't? They are the most talented!:angel:

·
Registered
13,640 Posts
:worship:

·
Registered
720 Posts
Why does she want to coach players who already know how to use their talent and skills. I would prefer her to coach a player like Alexandra stevenson, or Anna smashnova who are talented, but may lack direction in Alex's case or are still immature and learning like Anna.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
She said some funny things. Allegedly her management warned her not to be too critical when she commentates in fear of being sued. She said: "What am I gonna say, "She's got a lousy forehand" and they are gonna sue me?!??? Ha!"

·
Registered
18,112 Posts
OMG! she cannot coach ALEXANDRA STEVENSON since her mom is scurred to death of *******! :rolleyes: Besides you cannot teach that girl anything. :haha:

I think she would be an awesome coach for Justine who can seriously still improve her serving and her volleys. Yesterday she made some amazing volleys at the net a la Navratilova but she can do this more and get better. She has all the talent to win Wimbledon!

·
Registered
9,216 Posts
I think Navratilova would be a good practice partner, but I'm not sure how good a coach she would be- by herself. To Martina's great credit, since the late 70s she has surrounded herself with the best coaches and fitness gurus and computerized stats on opponents. It takes quite a bit more to provide the mental and technical foundations to be able to coach someone. I'd much rather see Billie Jean King helping Justine.

As far as a woman coaching a top male player- :lol: We'll sooner see a female umpire chairing a men's match.

·
Registered
34,218 Posts
alfajeffster said:
As far as a woman coaching a top male player- :lol: We'll sooner see a female umpire chairing a men's match.
Gotcha! Raouza Islanova, a "real" coach who's worked with several Russians, now her daughter Dinara, used to coach this guy named Safin. I mean he IS her son, but still... :p

·
Registered
9,216 Posts
JollyRoger said:
Gotcha! Raouza Islanova, a "real" coach who's worked with several Russians, now her daughter Dinara, used to coach this guy named Safin. I mean he IS her son, but still... :p
And Dr. Richard Raskind did go on to coach Martina Navratilova, now didn't he?she?he?she?he?she? :lol:

·
Registered
9,303 Posts
While I understand the attraction to Justine and Rogers, wouldn't it be more challenging and fun to actually teach a non established player and totally remould their game? Why would she want to ride on Carlos Rodrigues success? If only she would want to work with a player like Dokic or Daniela, now that is a challenge, she could equip them and get them to the top of the rankings. Can you imagine a coach wanting to (re)teach Serena to serve? Where is the legitimacy there?

·
Registered
13,640 Posts
I think that there's aways room for improvement and that it's great to work with players who has a very good basis already. You can work on tactics, gameplans, try new things, ... :)

·
Premium Member
19,825 Posts
Wow that would be something. The grandmother of women's tennis coaching a player that has the personality of a grandmother.

Perfect match! lol

·
Registered
370 Posts
harloo said:
Wow that would be something. The grandmother of women's tennis coaching a player that has the personality of a grandmother.

Perfect match! lol
Come on, Roger might be boring but calling him a grandmother is downright disrepectfull ;-)

·
Premium Member
19,825 Posts
nygirl said:
Come on, Roger might be boring but calling him a grandmother is downright disrepectfull ;-)
Oh good one, but I was referring to Henin-Hardenne aka motor mouth, and the enfant terrible.

lol :eek:

·
Registered
21,059 Posts
harloo said:

Perfect match! lol
Oh come on, you must have better than that............:lol:

·
Premium Member
19,825 Posts
Martian KC said:
Oh come on, you must have better than that............:lol:
Obviously, you have NOTHING since all you can do is quote me without ANYTHING funny.

I guess you are really LAME. :rolleyes: :lol: :lol:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts