Tennis Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Navratilova won't play mixed doubles at Open

August 22, 2003
NEW YORK (AP) -- Martina Navratilova won't play mixed doubles at the U.S. Open because her regular partner, Leander Paes, is hospitalized with a brain lesion.

They teamed to win two of the first three Grand Slam titles this year, at the Australian Open and Wimbledon.

``I will not be playing mixed doubles at the U.S. Open without Leander Paes because he is a true partner, and the special connection we share cannot be replaced,'' Navratilova said Friday. ``Our bond was much more than winning titles, and my thoughts are with this wonderful man for a speedy and full recovery.''

Paes, 30, checked himself into a hospital near his Orlando, Fla., home Sunday after having headaches for three days. A scan detected the lesion, and he was transferred to a cancer center Tuesday. It wasn't immediately clear what caused his illness.

``Leander has an amazing attitude and is such a positive person, and I know those attributes are working for him even at this difficult time,'' Navratilova said. ``He and I have promised each other we would team again as soon as he gets well, and I can't wait.''

Their victory at the All England Club in July gave Navratilova a record-tying career total of 20 titles at Wimbledon from singles, doubles and mixed doubles. She also became, at 46, the oldest player to win a Wimbledon title.

Navratilova will play women's doubles with Svetlana Kuznetsova at the U.S. Open, which starts Monday.

======================================================

Aww, she sticks to her partner through the thick and thin.

How nice. :sad: :)

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Wow ... Martina is top class :bowdown:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.