Tennis Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I remember reading this article at the start of the Championships.

https://www.tennisworldusa.org/tenn...atilova-explains-how-halep-may-win-wimbledon/

I was thinking, Martina, in theory, yes, but Simona hasn't been her best on grass, she's maybe 5th favourite at best, if she does make week 2 because there are other strong contenders. But the pressure lifted from Paris I could understand.

I eat my words. Although Halep was not full out aggressive in a conventional sense, she found the right balance and shot timing, putting the best of her skills out there, especially showing in the last couple of matches. She could be a Wimbledon champion, and Martina knew it could happen if Halep played the right way, which she did.

She was also right on the money with "Serena knows Simona won't beat herself".

·
Registered
862 Posts
I mean not really. Think I probably predicted more right of Wimbledon this year than she did over the entirety of her existence.

It was always possible for Halep to reach the final and then she indeed had a 50-50 chance to win it or not. It's not really a bold prediction nor being visionary.

·
Registered
21,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I mean not really. Think I probably predicted more right of Wimbledon this year than she did over the entirety of her existence.

It was always possible for Halep to reach the final and then she indeed had a 50-50 chance to win it or not. It's not really a bold prediction nor being visionary.
I get what you mean. But how many at the start of the event would put Halep among top 3 names to win this edition? Barty, Serena, Kerber and Kvitova would be in the frontline.

I'm sure most would not predict Halep to win here. Of course it's true that her professionalism and overall standard means she is always a contender, but there is some element of surprise she picked up the dish, and not Kerber or Barty, and not Serena. Maybe visionary was a bit strong but I look back at what she said at the start.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts