Tennis Forum banner
101 - 120 of 1092 Posts

·
Registered
631 Posts
If Emma plays Giorgi the way she played Samsonova she'll be hit off the court like she did today. I hope she learned from this and comes out swinging against Giorgi. This passive Emma is really hard to watch.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Well what’s interesting is that supposedly she practiced ROS and DS today, but she didn’t hit many DSs (did she hit any?). I wonder if she was too tired to remember to go for DS, or she didn’t have a great opportunity. We saw samsonova tried DSs and always lost the point. You have to find the right moment to do it. Samsonova was often too close to the net, or Emma was too far from the net, to go for a DS.

·
Registered
631 Posts
I was thinking of that too. Kinda hard to hit a DS when you're 6' back from the baseline.
I don't think she tried a single one today.
Also every time she served out wide she won the point, but she only did it like 3 times through the whole match, I wonder why? Does that arm motion hurt her? Or did she just forget?

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Emma's match kept me up, but I'm going to bed very shortly. Gotta be at Centre Court by 11am so I don't miss Marie Bouzkova's qualification match on Saturday morning. 3 years ago she got into the semi-final as a qualifier only losing to Serena Williams. She did even better than Iga who also came in as a qualifier. It was Iga's first time making it into a WTA 1000 main draw that year.

I don't expect to see Samsonova at her qualification match which is also on Centre Court not before 3:30pm. I'll be surprised and very shocked if I do. I just don't see her skipping her SF in D.C. today after beating Emma.

·
Registered
5,806 Posts
Do we think Emma's going to play doubles again here? The blisters the time are only on the fingers and don't seem to be affecting her but I'd hope she does in Cinci and skips it here.

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Do we think Emma's going to play doubles again here? The blisters the time are only on the fingers and don't seem to be affecting her but I'd hope she does in Cinci and skips it here.
I don’t think she will. She will focus on singles. Giorgi is inconsistent but can be dangerous, she’s good when she’s on (and she’s the defending champ in Toronto). Plus, DC conditions were tiring and Emma will want to recover and let the blisters heal completely.

In DC, Emma needed the doubles to get the rust off, but this time she doesn’t, since she has played 3 singles matches in a row now (plus 1 of doubles)

In Cinci I think it will depend on what she does in Toronto. If she loses early in Toronto I think doubles in Cinci make perfect sense. If she goes deep in Toronto, they don’t, as she will have little time to recover for Cinci if she goes deep in Toronto (and enough matches)

In USO she shouldn’t play doubles at all; she should, obviously, focus on her title defence. But I’m sure she won’t play doubles in USO.

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Only confirmed: Swiatek will play Wednesday afternoon, Andreescu tuesday night
Well, I don’t think they go by top and bottom half then, because R2 on Wednesday (Iga) for top half would mean their R1 is on Monday. But Bianca is also in the top half and is on Tuesday.
So idk what they do, it’s anyone’s guess lol.

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
God, I hope they don’t decide to put Emma and camila on Monday as that would be a huge draw for Monday night. Poor Emma. Not even 48 hours to recover. I’m glad she lost that R 3 match quickly. Imagine if it went to 3 am?!
Hiya tennismomfan, to be honest some commentators were suggesting that Emma (and others like Azarenka) should have considered withdrawing anyway if they had won their quarter-finals to as you say give themselves some recovery time before Toronto and also to allow them to practice on those courts. I hope Emma travels today so she can have a light practice session tomorrow. 🙂

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
God, I hope they don’t decide to put Emma and camila on Monday as that would be a huge draw for Monday night. Poor Emma. Not even 48 hours to recover. I’m glad she lost that R 3 match quickly. Imagine if it went to 3 am?!
Hiya tennismomfan, to be honest some commentators were suggesting that Emma (and others like Azarenka) should have considered withdrawing anyway if they had won their quarter-finals to as you say give themselves some recovery time before Toronto and also to allow them to practice on those courts. I hope Emma travels today so she can have a light practice session tomorrow. 🙂
I frankly believe the loss (and it being 2 sets) will increase Emma’s chances against Giorgi.
Judging by the post before mine, they have enough big draws on Monday. I’m confident Emma’s match will be on Tuesday. They’re mixing it up between top and bottom of the draw (Serena and Leylah are in the top, Venus and Simona are in the bottom)

If Emma ends up beating Camila, this loss will have really been proved to be a blessing in disguise.

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
The bookies have Emma as the favourite against Giorgi… Some have her down as clear favourite and some just give her the edge over Giorgi… Interesting. I have no idea how the match is likely to go as Giorgi is one of the most unpredictable players out there. Can be excellent but can also be wiped off the court 🤔

Reactions: aca99da
101 - 120 of 1092 Posts