Tennis Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All right, I did not put a radiant smiley next to the topic line because there was no final in Paris today, and I hope that Elena Dementieva (and Jelena Dokic, obviously) will recover soon.

But it seems fairly reasonable to rejoice for Nathalie Dechy. I think that she deserves to have one title at last, even though it is "only" a title in doubles. Not just because she is so lovely and smart :eek: Not because she's French - in almost 25 years watching tennis, I've liked quite a few French female players, but it is the first time one of them becomes my huge favourite. As I wrote sometimes, I've never felt so close to a player (albeit not physically, obviously :D ). And it touches me that some of her best recent results in doubles came with Tammy and Meilen, both Asian ;) and both charming and talented persons.

She has the talent, she has the brains, the courage and obstinacy, and in some occasions she did display mental qualities worthy of a great player, even though she still has to work on her self-confidence. Her loss to her good friend Justine was quite devastating, yet she still found the strength to focus on her matches with Meilen. And it is by no means unlikely, if uncertain, that they could have won the final, had they played it. It was high time she could add a line to her profile. Sweet that it came in her home country.

I do not take part in cheering threads for her any more, that must be my only superstition. Surely I did not bring her luck last year :rolleyes: & besides, several of her best fans around, such as Tweety, TennisNick, Squeeze and others, do a wonderful job already :) But it would not be fair to let this first step in her career go unnoticed. I feel confident that it is only the first of quite a few crowns, singles included. And I want to wish her the very best for the future. May she bring much more joy still than she already has to those of us who love her.

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
Congrats Nathalie!! I just CAN'T believe that this is her 1st title! She definitely has the goods to beat any top player! Well, I have been a fan of Nathalie since her tough loss to Hingis at the 1998 U.S. Open, and I knew that she could be a top contendor. But what she really lacks is the mental state to close matches, I think that's what she suffers the most but overall her game is pretty clean. I think she's finding her game back and I wish her the best this year! :)

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Nice words GMT!

I'm also a Nathalie fan, since I met her last year here in Brasil, I spoke some French with her and she was very kind to me, took some pictures and gave me a can of balls :):):)

She is kind, beautiful and graceful.

Best of luck on your life Nat! :kiss: :kiss: :kiss:

·
Diosa Contable
2,945 Posts
I think in life there comes a time when you can collect for all the efforts and sacrifices you've made. This is just the beginning for Nathalie, I am sure there will be plenty of other times to rejoice with her success. A doubles title is a great achievement, twice as much fun as a singles one for sure ;) and in Paris even! :D

Also congrats on her great match against Justine. May she start believing she is truly *that* close to the top players and win some good matches this season :)

Allez Nathalie! ;)

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
yeah Nathalie is great I met her during a practice session in Pilot Pen in New Haven, CT. I saw her play some she did good. She mainly practiced a high aggresive backhand she looked good

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
5,566 Posts
Nice post gmt.

I think that she deserves to have one title at last
at last and at least ;) . Let's hope more will follow, though you can't say it, lest you jinx her ;) .

And it is a pity that not more prize money / attention be given to doubles events, as it can be as attractive as singles ones.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Great words indeed, gmt :touched:

Actually I was thinking about this being her first doubles title. Now I don't need to check anymore :eek: Well, I knew she didn't win one in singles so far ;) I hope there will be a thread in this matter very soon too :angel:

I think too that Nathalie is a great player who deserves that title. Maybe it's good she didn't "had to win" it. And hopefully this title will give her the confidence to win an event in singles as well. She has a graceful game, it's nice to watch. I like the backhand ;)

Also she is a very nice player, she doesn't try to influence her opponents with gestures on the court. She even doesn't throw the racket ;) Well, I haven't seen it at least :rolleyes:

Oh, and gmt, don't say you don't bring her luck, I could turn superstitious too ;) Well, I think I already am, I won't tell here what I am doing whilst Nathalie is playing :eek:

Best of luck for the upcoming tournaments, in doubles and in singles :D

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
3,053 Posts
Congrats Nathalie:bounce:

·
Miss Verstand
16,531 Posts
Great post gmt. And well done Nathalie :D

·
Registered
7,843 Posts
Really nice post. I can't believe Nathalie hasn't won a title before - I saw her at Wimbledon one year and she's very talented, she has a lot of shots.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts