1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Day 4 - An interview with Anastasia Myskina - Wednesday, May 30, 2007
Video Interview

Transcribed Interview

Q. You're a champion. You always will be a champion. But what made you play this tournament?

ANASTASIA MYSKINA: Well, I've been practicing one months and I was just thinking to come here and to see what can I do with my foot. But it wasn't that good right now.

Q. Was it embarrassing?

ANASTASIA MYSKINA: Well, you know, it happened, because I know what ‑‑ well, you have to be realist. You know, I knew that I'm not gonna win, but I just want to see how my foot gonna feel during the matches. I have to play some matches anyway.

Q. And how did it feel?

ANASTASIA MYSKINA: Not good.

Q. Which one?

ANASTASIA MYSKINA: My left one.

Q. Does that mean you'll take some more time off?

ANASTASIA MYSKINA: Well, probably I have to because now it's swollen again. I had the surgery in January. So now it still bother me, so we will see.

Q. Sorry.

ANASTASIA MYSKINA: That's okay.

Q. When exactly did you have the surgery?

ANASTASIA MYSKINA: January 15th, so...

Q. And what was exactly the problem? Was it constant inflammation?

ANASTASIA MYSKINA: Well, it was a lot of things. They drill some holes in my bone. They had to do a lot of stuff there. So I'm not a doctor to tell you everything.

Q. Have you been operated on in Moscow?

ANASTASIA MYSKINA: No, in Germany.

Q. Where?

ANASTASIA MYSKINA: It's just near Stuttgart.

Q. So was your foot feeling better before you came here? Were you able to practice without any pain?

ANASTASIA MYSKINA: Well, no. I had the pain, even after practice. One hour, it's good, but then I have pain. So like I said, me, my coach, we decide to come here to see how it's gonna feel during match.

Q. So what did the doctor say? Did the doctor say, Yes, you should try to play; it's not going to get worse?

ANASTASIA MYSKINA: Yeah. They said that I should try. Well, you have to be careful every time. But if you're going to be careful, like, every, every time, sooner or later you're not going to play at all because you're going to be scared.

So in my mind, I'm still scared to run, like, 100 percent. So you have to cross this line.

Q. It really looked like you didn't have, especially side to side, that you didn't want to really go and get the ball.

ANASTASIA MYSKINA: It still scares me a bit. I remember how I was before, so now it's difficult.

Q. So was it frustrating on the court? Did you feel like this isn't really me. This is not how I play?

ANASTASIA MYSKINA: Yeah, of course. It's different, I mean, you remember how you used to run or you used to play, and now it's completely different story. It's difficult to get ‑‑ like, not to be sad right now, you know, to say like everything is fine. Of course, it's not. But, well, I guess you have to go through this time and through these matches.

Q. The last five months when you've been off after Australia and in between, were you thinking, Well, maybe it's not going to work for me anymore. Maybe I should try something else?

ANASTASIA MYSKINA: Well, the doctor basically told me that he's not sure if I'm gonna be back on court after the surgery, because he said it's pretty difficult, 'cause the foot, it's difficult. Always been difficult. And that's why I want to try and see how it's gonna be right now.

Q. 'Cause why? You still have the desire? You still have goals?

ANASTASIA MYSKINA: I still love tennis. That's why.

Q. It's a career ‑‑ possible career‑threatening injury?

ANASTASIA MYSKINA: Well, when you're 20, it's one thing when you're injured. When you're 25, 26, it's different, because you know that you're not going to play, like, for ten more years, you know.

So of course it's difficult to go through these matches, because you're losing your confidence. You're losing your ‑‑ a bit of yourself on the court. But if you can go through this time, you get stronger and then you feel better.

Q. Is there a reason that you chose to try a match at Roland Garros?

ANASTASIA MYSKINA: Well, one month ago I told all press in Russia that I'm not gonna be here, because I thought it's too early. But then I was practicing and I understood that I can try to play here.

Q. Does it have something to do with your memories of this place as well?

ANASTASIA MYSKINA: No, I'm miss you guys, so... (laughter).

Q. Because you're limited with your foot, how does that change the way you play and the way you approach the match?

ANASTASIA MYSKINA: A lot. You can see that I'm moving like a big cow now, so of course it's changed a lot. I can't push, you know, from my foot, from the left foot like I used to run, I can't run. So of course it's different.

Q. You said last year when your foot wasn't so bad that if you were unable to play top 5, top 10 tennis, that you weren't going to play anymore. This is a tough situation for you because if you can't run, it's going to be real difficult to get to that level. Do you still have that same feeling or have you changed?

ANASTASIA MYSKINA: No, definitely. I'm not going to be here if I'm going to be like whatever, 80, or 100. I'm not that kind of person, of tennis player who wants to be here just because I want to be here.

I had the great life these five months in Moscow, so I know how it's going to be after tennis. And it's fine with me. I just want to try again if I can do it.

Q. So have you given yourself a time limit? Have you said, what, I'm gonna play as hard as I can and try this year and if it doesn't ‑‑

ANASTASIA MYSKINA: Exactly.

Q. Then you'll make the decision in the off‑season?

ANASTASIA MYSKINA: I will do my best. And then I will see, you know.

Q. I know you're not a doctor, but exactly what is the problem and what do you do in terms of support for your ankle, wrapping the ankle with your shoe to try to help?

ANASTASIA MYSKINA: It's not an ankle. It's the big toe. That's why it's difficult. You can't really tape it or do anything. The scar, it's real sensitive now. Like I say, I'm not a doctor. I can't really tell you what happened inside there and what he did during the surgery. They thought that it was a stress fracture, but it's not. Blood circulation was too bad when I played last year, in Auckland this year. So that's why I had to do surgery. That's something that I know.

Q. Does it hurt?

ANASTASIA MYSKINA: Yeah.

Q. It still hurts?

Q. What was it like for you the last five months when you were in Moscow and living like a regular person?

ANASTASIA MYSKINA: It was great.

Q. What kind of things did you do specifically?

ANASTASIA MYSKINA: I was working on TV. I had a soccer show on TV. I have no idea about soccer, but now I'm kind of into that. Well, I was commentating tennis. I just was practicing, going to ‑‑ I had a great life. I don't know why I'm here (laughing).

Q. Do you remember injuring it, the toe?

ANASTASIA MYSKINA: Yeah, I do.

Q. Where was that and how?

ANASTASIA MYSKINA: Stockholm, last year. It was like a couple tournaments before US Open. I was just practicing on hard court, and once I felt that, I couldn't even walk. So that's how it happened.

Q. It just came over you then?

Q. And hurting in Stockholm?

ANASTASIA MYSKINA: Well, the doctor said because I ‑‑ well, too much, you know, on my foot. Like I don't know what to say, too much practicing, and, you know, because we change a lot the surface and ball. My body wasn't ready for that long‑term playing tennis.

Q. Have you saved your money?

ANASTASIA MYSKINA: What do you mean? What do you mean?

Q. I hope you're well‑fixed.

ANASTASIA MYSKINA: I'm fine. I'm fine.

Q. Does it even hurt when you're just walking around, like, normally in a hotel or something?

ANASTASIA MYSKINA: Like after the match, right now, it hurts, yeah. It's swollen. But, you know, yesterday it was okay.

Q. The fact that your boyfriend is on the men's tour, do you travel with him a little bit?

ANASTASIA MYSKINA: Who is that? Which one are you talking about (laughing)?

No, I don't have any boyfriend who is playing tennis. I have a lot of friends, seriously.

Q. Can you put your commentator's hat on. When you were watching tennis, amongst the younger players, the Russian players, who do you think is going to be the better one? Would it be Chakvetadze?

ANASTASIA MYSKINA: Who?

Q. Go ahead. You can pick your own. But of the current group, who do you really look at and say, Well, this one is going to be Top 5, Top 3?

ANASTASIA MYSKINA: Well, it's really tough. All of them Top 20 already, so...

Well, I really like how Kuznetsova plays. I watch her a lot because I was commentating on her matches a lot. I think she's really strong and she's the one who can really play for long time.

Q. Chakvetadze plays a little like you.

ANASTASIA MYSKINA: She's a really smart girl on the court, and she's doing really a lot of good things. So I think she ‑‑ if she's going to be more, how you say, calm on the courts, like, then she's going to be really good. She's a good ‑‑ she's really smart.

Q. Do the other women players show sympathy for you? Do they say, you know, they understand and feel badly for your problems?

ANASTASIA MYSKINA: You know, all of them smile to me. So it's nice. But you never know what they say behind your back.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Thats quite sad to read. If she doesn't make a full recovery then i wish her all the best for whatever she does in the future.
1 freak slam win but no one can ever take that away from her!

Good Luck Myskina

·
Art & Futures
20,861 Posts
awww nastya :hug:]

i wonder if she never gets her speed back up to where it was if she'll add more power to her arms/game and become more of a power player

·
Banned
35,898 Posts
Thats quite sad to read. If she doesn't make a full recovery then i wish her all the best for whatever she does in the future.
1 freak slam win but no one can ever take that away from her!

Good Luck Myskina
FFS, that slam was no freak accident.

·
Registered
17,922 Posts
Q. Because you're limited with your foot, how does that change the way you play and the way you approach the match?
ANASTASIA MYSKINA: A lot. You can see that I'm moving like a big cow now, so of course it's changed a lot.

Poor Nastya! Cows, especially big ones, are not speedy around a court AT ALL. And they change direction very, very poorly!

·
Banned
25,017 Posts
She's done. Finished. Caput. Done-zo.

·
Registered
730 Posts
FFS, that slam was no freak accident.
I apologise- i probably didn't phrase that very well. What i ment was it was bit of a shock to see her holding that thropy in June 2004 especially on clay which she never really excelled on...

·
Registered
52,365 Posts
I always enjoy reading her interviews!
So entertaining.
Don't give up, Nastya! :awww::hug:

Reactions: goldenlox

·
Premium Member
182,026 Posts
just too sad to read :( :bigcry:

Nastya :hug:
take rest of 2007 off
might take longer than that even.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Q. Do the other women players show sympathy for you? Do they say, you know, they understand and feel badly for your problems?

ANASTASIA MYSKINA: You know, all of them smile to me. So it's nice. But you never know what they say behind your back.
:lol: Vicious assumption from Myskina

·
Registered
115,239 Posts
Q. The fact that your boyfriend is on the men's tour, do you travel with him a little bit?

ANASTASIA MYSKINA: Who is that? Which one are you talking about (laughing)?

No, I don't have any boyfriend who is playing tennis. I have a lot of friends, seriously.

·
Registered
19,185 Posts
Poor Nastya! :bigcry: :awww:

I am really scared that this injury could end her career! :sad:

All the best for the future. You will always have a place in my heart. :hearts:

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
this is upsetting : ( keep believing nastya

·
Registered
7,386 Posts
I think that Nastya had to talk about how great Meghann played. I hope Nastya be alright but, WHAT A VICTORY, MEGHANN!!! :bounce:

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Ive never cared much for her...but this is really sad and i hope her the best for the future...she comes across quite witty...hmmm...Good Lucck Myskina!

·
Registered
9,329 Posts
that's a sad story, hopefully she'll find a way to fight back
thx for posting the interview!

Q. Have you saved your money?

ANASTASIA MYSKINA: What do you mean? What do you mean?

Q. I hope you're well‑fixed.

ANASTASIA MYSKINA: I'm fine. I'm fine.

:lol:

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
if this was her last french open (i hope not) then shame on the organizers for sticking her in a horrible court.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts