Tennis Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
last weeks final was a blow out and of course i want maria to win, but i hope we get a good match for everyones sake. here are the most one-sided finals in the tournaments history:

1987: Graf def. Evert 6-1, 6-2

1990: Seles def. Wiesner 6-2, 6-1

1997: Hingis def. Seles 6-2, 6-1

2004: S.Williams def. Dementieva 6-1, 6-1

can anyone give details about any of these matches?

does anyone think there's a posibility for a one-sided final tomorrow?

discuss
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
52,840 Posts
that Serena - dementieva match

the 2 games Dementieva won were breaks of serve
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,482 Posts
Marcus1979 said:
that Serena - dementieva match

the 2 games Dementieva won were breaks of serve
Not a surprise..
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
7,113 Posts
i wouldnt excatly say that.

Although, yes, there have been some one sided finals, there have been some close ones too;

V.Williams def. J.Capriati 4-6 6-1 7-6
S.Williams def. J.Capriati 7-5 7-6
S.Williams def. J.Capriati 4-6 6-4 6-1

and plenty others. The four you named there are like any tournament, and you had to go back to 1987 to find them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,101 Posts
Sheesh JCap hasn't had much success in finals here then!!

I remember that Venus match, isn't that the one where Vee saved like 8 match points!? *amazing* :worship:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,300 Posts
tennisjunky said:
last weeks final was a blow out and of course i want maria to win, but i hope we get a good match for everyones sake. here are the most one-sided finals in the tournaments history:

1987: Graf def. Evert 6-1, 6-2

can anyone give details about any of these matches?
The one game Evert won in the first set came off a break of Graf's serve. Evert never really got into the match, and Graf realised that Evert was having problems with her forehand, so she kept hitting skidding down the line slice backhands to Evert's forehand in order to force errors. The match ended on a swinging volley winner from Graf, who capped a sensational fortnight in Key Biscayne, beating Navratilova 6-3 6-2 in the semis, and Evert 6-1 6-2 in the final.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,627 Posts
i saw the 1997 Hingis-Seles match and martina was all over monica :bolt:

she was invincible at the time..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,924 Posts
good ol' Days
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
7,113 Posts
*glitterDUST* said:
Sheesh JCap hasn't had much success in finals here then!!

I remember that Venus match, isn't that the one where Vee saved like 8 match points!? *amazing* :worship:
yeh, it was the 2001 final. 8 championship points saved! Amazing!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19,165 Posts
In 1997, that was Monica's first tournament back in 1997, after skipping the AO after a freak accident where she injured her finger and couldn't play. Hingis owned Monica (and the rest of the WTA) at the time and became the youngest world number one in history, after she won that final against Monica.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top