Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Danielle Collins who has a current WTA ranking of #31 is the number 1 seed in the Naples, Fl 25K ITF event.
Collins was born in and probably still lives in St Petersburg, Fl, which is about a 2.5 hour drive from Naples.
Possible reasons for Collins playing a 25K ITF event
1) Boost attendance with a well known local girl playing in the event
2) Boost her confidence. She only has a 3W and 7L record since Wimb.
3) It's close to where she lives, so why not.
-
The "hothead' Collins could meet "catfight girl" Parks in the finals. (Hide under the blanket!!!!)

·
Registered
8,478 Posts
Nice thread.

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
Collins is likely still trying to manage and deal with her rheumatoid arthritis diagnosis. Being able to complete 5 matches in a row at any level, and learning how to manage and deal with it day by day will be paramount for her career. No doubt this tournament is a chance for her to continue to learn how to manage her health through a tournament week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,700 Posts

·
Registered
14,703 Posts
Now close your eyes and imagine that Collins is a Chinese Player and Naples is in China. Then read the thread again..:eek:h:

·
Registered
23,824 Posts
Maybe she's also trying to secure an AO seeding. Not facing a seeded player until the 3rd round will help her to defend some of her points she will likely have coming off.

·
Registered
28,774 Posts
I've always liked her, from way back when she played Halep at the USO as a college player. I'm rooting for her, and want her to succeed in spite of her condition. If these small tournaments help, I'm all for it.

·
Registered
6,318 Posts
Maybe she's also trying to secure an AO seeding. Not facing a seeded player until the 3rd round will help her to defend some of her points she will likely have coming off.
By playing a 25k? That's way too little amount of points even for a title. :shrug:

I would give her a pass, she has a good reason to play it (managing her autoimmune disease) so wish her good luck, health should come first.

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
50 points would be very beneficial to her, it's almost like reaching the Auckland or Hobart QF should she enter those events, or winning a round at Sydney/Brisbane, which she'd probably be content with. Put it this way, take off the Aussie Open, Wimbledon and Charleston and a Naples W25 title would be right up there with her next highest points haul of 70 - it's easy to forget that literally more than half of her 1558 points (780) came from one event, and she does have a few 1 point counters that can easily be replaced.

She'll have to win 5 matches of course, and any less than 4 wins and it's starting to be not worth her time (points-wise anyway), but a title would be very beneficial and go a long way in strengthening her bid for an AO seeding.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Love her, and f-all of you haters. What she needs more than anything else is consistency of level. This could be said of a number of players, but many don't have the upside she has.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts