Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Scheduled Tournaments

Toray Pan Pacific Open Sept. 16-22 (Naomi's Home City & Tournament)

Results

1st Rd: BYE
2nd Rd: Viktoriya Tomova 7-5, 6-3
QF: Yulia Putintseva 6-4, 6-4
SF: Elise Mertens 6-4, 6-1
F: Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova 6-2, 6-3

NAOMI OSAKA IS THE 2019 TORAY PAN PACIFIC OPEN CHAMPION:):worship::bigclap:

Dongfeng Motor Wuhan Open Sept. 22-28

Naomi after taking a Wild Card into the Tournament in August withdrew from Wuhan before the Draw Ceremony.

China Open Beijing Sept. 28th - Oct. 6th

Results

1st Round: Jessica Pegula 6-3, 7-6 (5)
2nd Round: Andrea Petkovic 6-2, 6-0
Round of 16: Alison Riske 6-4, 6-0
Quarterfinal: Bianca Andreescu 5-7, 6-3, 6-4
Semifinal: Caroline Wozniacki 6-4, 6-2
Final: Ashleigh Barty 3-6, 6-3, 6-2

NAOMI OSAKA IS THE 2019 CHINA OPEN CHAMPION:):worship::bigclap:

Shiseido WTA Finals Shenzhen Oct. 27th - Nov. 3rd

Round Robin 1: Petra Kvitova 7-6 (1), 4-6, 6-4
Round Robin 2: Ashleigh Barty WITHDRAWN

What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
907 Posts
What does Naomi need to do to qualify for WTA finals? The Asian swing is very important to her sponsors.

She seems very happy in her IG posts which is good to see. Not sure what that means for her tennis though....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
494 Posts
What does Naomi need to do to qualify for WTA finals? The Asian swing is very important to her sponsors.

She seems very happy in her IG posts which is good to see. Not sure what that means for her tennis though....

If she wants to qualify, maybe she should add more variety to her game.

·
Premium Member
3,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Here is the Site I'm using in regards to the "Race to Shenzhen"

https://www.openerarankings.com/WTAHome?Race=1

Naomi is currently 7th with Bencic, Svitolina and Bertens nipping at her heels. This assumes though that Serena who is currently in 5th is playing Beijing (where she has entered). If she doesn't 9th Place would be good for Naomi to qualify.

Her Home Tournament next week in the City of Osaka (where she was born) is very important.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Here is the Site I'm using in regards to the "Race to Shenzhen"

https://www.openerarankings.com/WTAHome?Race=1

Naomi is currently 7th with Bencic, Svitolina and Bertens nipping at her heels. This assumes though that Serena who is currently in 5th is playing Beijing (where she has entered). If she doesn't 9th Place would be good for Naomi to qualify.

Her Home Tournament next week in the City of Osaka (where she was born) is very important.

Bertens is in a slump and seems to be taking a break from her coach so don’t think she is a factor. No way Serena is dragging a 2-year old all over Asia for some tournaments she doesn’t care about so don’t think Serena is a factor either.

So looks good for Naomi then.

·
Premium Member
3,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Decent Draw for Naomi in her Home Town except for Putintseva

[1] Naomi Osaka vs BYE
[Q] Alize Cornet vs [Q] Viktoriya Tomova
[WC] Nao Hibino vs [Q] Varvara Flink
Yulia Putintseva vs [8] Petra Martic

[3] Sloane Stephens vs BYE
[Q] Han Xinyun vs Camila Giorgi
Garbine Muguruza vs Hsieh Su-Wei
Elise Mertens vs [6] Anastasija Sevastova

[5] Madison Keys vs Daria Kasatkina
Monica Puig vs [Q] Zarina Diyas
Alison Riske vs [Q] Nicole Gibbs
BYE vs [4] Angelique Kerber

[7] Donna Vekic vs Caroline Garcia
Kristina Mladenovic vs [WC] Misaki Doi
Dayana Yastremska vs Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova
BYE vs [2] Kiki Bertens

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Naomi is on the entry list for Tianjin also. A bit surprised that she entered there. Will probably withdraw if she has good results at Osaka, Wuhan, and Beijing.

·
Premium Member
3,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Naomi is on the entry list for Tianjin also. A bit surprised that she entered there. Will probably withdraw if she has good results at Osaka, Wuhan,
and Beijing.
This is all about qualifying for Shenzhen I presume. Needs a couple more wins. 4,000 Points might not be enough this year.

Due to her Victory over Tomova Svitolina has to win the Tournament in Guangzhou and Bertens has to get to the Final in Osaka to topple Naomi in the "Race to Shenzhen".

·
Registered
2,657 Posts

I mean, she wouldn't be posting sad/angry post about her, would she? IG is where people show how happy they are.

·
Premium Member
3,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If Naomi wins her Home Tournament tomorrow she looks all of the sudden relativly safe for the YEC in Shenzhen.

"Race to Shenzhen" With Osaka Tournament Win

# 5 Naomi Osaka 4.246 Points
# 9 Elina Svitolina 3.592 Points
# 10 Kiki Bertens 3.580 Points

"Race to Shenzhen" With Osaka Tournament Runner Up

# 5 Naomi Osaka 4.081 Points
# 9 Elina Svitolina 3.592 Points
# 10 Kiki Bertens 3.580 Points

Svitolina & Bertens need some deep Tournament Runs in Wuhan & Beijing. I put Bertens in here as we don't know if Serena plays YEC should she qualify.

·
Registered
291 Posts
So impressive from Noami to get to the final, beating one of her this year's nemesis. Without coach too. I hope that this time she will win. Three times a charm!

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
So happy for her that she finally won the title at home, I hope that is the confidence boost she needed to have a good year end.:)

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Naomi will open against Pegula in Beijing.

·
Premium Member
3,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Generally speaking I am pleased how Naomi's Asian Swing went thus far win or lose tomorrow. Of Course I want her to win ;)

·
Premium Member
3,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The Field for the WTA Finals Shenzhen has been set. Naomi will be seeded # 3. I'm not in a really good mood about her chances there. May really dependend in which Group she is drawn and what her Opponents are. That being said there ain't easy Matches. Every Match could basically be a GS Semifinal or Final.

I think Naomis Additude will make a huge Difference how far she goes.

·
Premium Member
3,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm sure it's not how she and we wanted to end this Season for her. Really frustrating and unfortunate.

Get well soon Naomi!

Still, there are a lot of positives to take from Asian Swing with two Tournament Wins.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts