Tennis Forum banner

21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
31,644 Posts
Disgusting that shy innocent Osaka is contractually binded to this by Netflix. I´m sure it was that attention whore Bajin that negotiated that deal last year. :ROFLMAO:

·
Premium Member
3,462 Posts
I love it. And to all Naomi Supporters: Don't respond to those nasty things some people saying about her because she doesn't perform as expected. Naomi will always be my Tennis love.

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
Her personality is very shy and guarded, which is fine, but I just fail to see how that makes her interesting in the eyes of brands, tv-shows etc.
To be fair, most people in the west don't understand that LOUD personalities don't equate to being "interesting"

You can have an interesting story to be told without being an extrovert, loud and obnoxious

·
Registered
577 Posts
Ok Chrissie let her have it......

Chris Evert’s open letter to Serena in the May 2006 issue of Tennis Magazine:

Dear Serena,

I’ve been thinking about your career, and something is troubling me. I appreciate that becoming a well-rounded person is important to you, as you’ve made that desire very clear. Still, a question lingers—do you ever consider your place in history? Is it something you care about? In the short term you may be happy with the various things going on in your life, but I wonder whether 20 years from now you might reflect on your career and regret not putting 100 percent of yourself into tennis. Because whether you want to admit it or not, these distractions are tarnishing your legacy.

Just a couple of years ago, when you were fully committed to the game, you showed the athleticism, shot-making, and competitive desire to become the greatest player ever. Many besides myself shared the same sentiment. You won five of the six Grand Slams you entered over the 2002 and 2003 seasons and looked utterly dominant in the process. Then you got sidetracked with injuries, pet projects, and indifference and have won only one major in the last seven you’ve played. I find those results hard to fathom. You’re simply too good not to be winning two Grand Slam titles a year. You’re still only 24, well within your prime. These are crucial years that you’ll never get back. Why not dedicate yourself entirely for the next five years and see what you can achieve?

Perhaps the reason I feel so strongly about this is because I wasn’t blessed with the physical gifts you possess. I know that the lifespan of an athlete’s greatness is brief and should be exploited. Once you get to No. 1 in the world and start winning major titles, you should see how far you can take it. You’ve become very good at many things, but how many people would trade that to be great at just one thing? I don’t see how acting and designing clothes can compare with the pride of being the best tennis player in the world. Your other accomplishments just can’t measure up to what you can do with a racquet in your hand.

Ironically, I believe that if you fulfill your potential on the tennis court, all your other endeavors will become that much easier to pursue. You could become the most famous athlete in the world. Every magazine will want you on its cover and any door you wish to walk through will be wide open. When I was playing, I always knew there would be time to get married, have children, do TV commentating, and even coach if I wanted. I assure you there will be time for you to chase all your dreams once you’re through with tennis.

I offer this only as advice, not criticism, from someone with experience. If you’re completely happy with the way your life is, then crumple up this letter and throw it away. I wish you nothing but luck and success in all your pursuits. Just remember that you have in front of you an opportunity of the rarest kind—to become the greatest ever at something.

I hope you make the most of it.

·
Premium Member
3,462 Posts
To be fair, most people in the west don't understand that LOUD personalities don't equate to being "interesting"

You can have an interesting story to be told without being an extrovert, loud and obnoxious
Her personality as well as her complete honesty is one of the Main Reasons I find Naomi so attractive. She really says what she feels and doesn't hide from it. Besides that she has a very enjoyable Game when she's on.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Honestly I'm glad she's doing so many things,especially things she loves,like that fashion stuff.Some players feel so 'tied' to tennis, and there's nothing wrong with that,but It's good to see Naomi exploring other areas of her life

·
Registered
891 Posts
I don’t get all the Osaka hate. She hasn’t done anything to anyone. She’s a very nice and respectful person.

And yes her story and life is interesting and unique and worthy of a documentary. Osaka is one of the few players that will keep tennis in the mainstream in the future. Thank goodness for that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
She needs to stop all this extra shit and go back to playing and focusing on tennis. She won two GS and already is shooting a Netflix documentary??? Sorry, but Simona Halep has too and I find her story far more compelling than a Faux Japanese/American who won two hard court slams and never came close to even sniffing a clay or grass title.

Win a few more and then act like a star.

She actually hasn't even played great in months. AO 2019 is a long time ago in modern tennis.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts

Most people in the west?? Osaka was raised in the West. That shaped her entire personality. I think people just don't find her interesting and she's really whiney and thin skinned. I definitely don't think her story is anything like moving from Russia at 7 with nothing but a hope and a dream or learning tennis in the ghettos of Compton in the 90's.

What's interesting? That she had to pick between Japan and USA? That she beat Serena who had a meltdown and was not even close to her best? Please enlighten me because from the sounds of it, her fans think she not only grew up on the courts of the ghettoest place in Haiti, moved to America with nothing but $2 dollars in her pocket but she also beat Peak Serena in a grand slam and won a career slam on every surface. 😁

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
^^ manages to shoehorn Pova into yet another thread unrelated to Pova 🤦‍♀️

Imho there is legitimate interest in Naomi's story regardless of whether some personally find it interesting. She had a rapid rise to the top, played against her idol in a memorable and controversial match, is the first to win back-to-back slams in [84 years gif], is the first ever person representing Japan to get to #1, has had emotional struggles, and gives interesting press conferences.

I will say though that I'd much prefer they wait for her career to further develop before they do a doco but meh, it's her decision. I'd watch because I think it would be fascinating.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts

Imho there is legitimate interest in Naomi's story regardless of whether some personally find it interesting. She had a rapid rise to the top, played against her idol in a memorable and controversial match, is the first to win back-to-back slams in [84 years gif], is the first ever person representing Japan to get to #1, has had emotional struggles, and gives interesting press conferences.

I will say though that I'd much prefer they wait for her career to further develop before they do a doco but meh, it's her decision. I'd watch because I think it would be fascinating.
You do realize we BASICALLY said the same damn thing. Also, I shoehorned Serena too. Sorry that I didnt mention Kerber's WW2 ancestors.

Anyway, mentioning Sharapova or Serena is always relevant to every thread especially this one. Both Sharapova AND Serena have had Netflix docs and Osaka is a tiny blip in the radar....it's not even comparable. I like Osaka but it's obvious she is distracted. I actually would love for her to rule but this is just a bit premature. Sorry, that's my opinion.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
See how easy it is to make a point without mentioning Pova?
Whatever. I ain't breaking rules. It's relevant and I'm never going to apologize or compromise....if I feel the need to mention a player, I shall do so. Pova or not. Long as it's applicable to the topic under discussion.

·
Registered
6,292 Posts
She needs to stop all this extra shit and go back to playing and focusing on tennis. She won two GS and already is shooting a Netflix documentary??? Sorry, but Simona Halep has too and I find her story far more compelling than a Faux Japanese/American who won two hard court slams and never came close to even sniffing a clay or grass title.

Win a few more and then act like a star.

She actually hasn't even played great in months. AO 2019 is a long time ago in modern tennis.
Noone is stopping Halep from doing her documentary or whatever it is she is interested in. Since by 22 she had not won any grand slams back-to-back, Netflix may not have found her story compelling. Osaka is Japanese as much as the Siberian queen is Russian. They must have spent the same number of years in the US.

Meanwhile

·
Registered
7,304 Posts

Yeah, his relentless (fake or not, I don't care) Pova crazy fangirling/ baiting in each and every thread, is one of the most annoying and dumbest acts I've ever seen here, and that's really saying something.

About Osaka, i am not sure this is what she needs now, because it's not like she's exactly oozing confidence and poise on court.

·
Registered
24,015 Posts
I'm coming around to the idea of thinking this would be worth watching. I mean Netflix has a documentary about nearly every known serial killer, so everything is fair game.

I'd like a documentary about Petra one day, probably when she's retired or ready to be retrospective. We know so little about her. Or Seles, Capriati, Pierce, Dokic, Hingis, Li Na, Goolagong, even Navratilova (maybe there's already a good one).

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
Most people in the west?? Osaka was raised in the West. That shaped her entire personality. I think people just don't find her interesting and she's really whiney and thin skinned. 😁

I'm talking about most people in the west (as in American people) seem to find being LOUD and obnoxious to be more "entertaining". I wasn't referring to Osaka.

I'm talking about the target audience behind the tv screen and you have been a perfect illustration of my point

1. American
2. Being loud and obnoxious
3. Thinking being loud and obnoxious is interesting to people not from USA/UK/Australia

She's not whiney at all. When she has faced racism, or people forget or try to wipe her black heritage away - she does it in an empowering way. She corrects them, she stays firm.

She does not scream "RACIST" nor does she scream "I"M A MOTHER" at people, like Americans

21 - 40 of 53 Posts