Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure if this is the right forum for it but just saw this.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
She's really getting the most in terms of endorsements on tour maybe excluding Serena. Just hope she can get back her form.

·
Registered
6,292 Posts
The week before last, she was losing to a teenager in defense of her title in Australia and lost her mentor Kobe;
Last week she was bagelled by SST on clay and had a tearful PC in Spain after jetting in on Tuesday;
This week she debuted her designs on NYFW.

What an eventful life for a 22 year old. I hope she can do all of these, including sponsor engagements, magazine cover stories, and still be in the right mental space for tennis. Must be be tiring, I hope she doesn't pull a Muguruza and become skin and bones. Next is probably a cameo in Cordea's music video.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Ok Chrissie let her have it......

Chris Evert’s open letter to Serena in the May 2006 issue of Tennis Magazine:

Dear Serena,

I’ve been thinking about your career, and something is troubling me. I appreciate that becoming a well-rounded person is important to you, as you’ve made that desire very clear. Still, a question lingers—do you ever consider your place in history? Is it something you care about? In the short term you may be happy with the various things going on in your life, but I wonder whether 20 years from now you might reflect on your career and regret not putting 100 percent of yourself into tennis. Because whether you want to admit it or not, these distractions are tarnishing your legacy.

Just a couple of years ago, when you were fully committed to the game, you showed the athleticism, shot-making, and competitive desire to become the greatest player ever. Many besides myself shared the same sentiment. You won five of the six Grand Slams you entered over the 2002 and 2003 seasons and looked utterly dominant in the process. Then you got sidetracked with injuries, pet projects, and indifference and have won only one major in the last seven you’ve played. I find those results hard to fathom. You’re simply too good not to be winning two Grand Slam titles a year. You’re still only 24, well within your prime. These are crucial years that you’ll never get back. Why not dedicate yourself entirely for the next five years and see what you can achieve?

Perhaps the reason I feel so strongly about this is because I wasn’t blessed with the physical gifts you possess. I know that the lifespan of an athlete’s greatness is brief and should be exploited. Once you get to No. 1 in the world and start winning major titles, you should see how far you can take it. You’ve become very good at many things, but how many people would trade that to be great at just one thing? I don’t see how acting and designing clothes can compare with the pride of being the best tennis player in the world. Your other accomplishments just can’t measure up to what you can do with a racquet in your hand.

Ironically, I believe that if you fulfill your potential on the tennis court, all your other endeavors will become that much easier to pursue. You could become the most famous athlete in the world. Every magazine will want you on its cover and any door you wish to walk through will be wide open. When I was playing, I always knew there would be time to get married, have children, do TV commentating, and even coach if I wanted. I assure you there will be time for you to chase all your dreams once you’re through with tennis.

I offer this only as advice, not criticism, from someone with experience. If you’re completely happy with the way your life is, then crumple up this letter and throw it away. I wish you nothing but luck and success in all your pursuits. Just remember that you have in front of you an opportunity of the rarest kind—to become the greatest ever at something.

I hope you make the most of it.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The week before last, she was losing to a teenager in defense of her title in Australia and lost her mentor Kobe;
Last week she was bagelled by SST on clay and had a tearful PC in Spain after jetting in on Tuesday;
This week she debuted her designs on NYFW.

What an eventful life for a 22 year old. I hope she can do all of these, including sponsor engagements, magazine cover stories, and still be in the right mental space for tennis. Must be be tiring, I hope she doesn't pull a Muguruza and become skin and bones. Next is probably a cameo in Cordea's music video.
I hope so too, I'm glad she's doing the fashion thing as it seems like that's what she loves to do after tennis. I hope it gives her the drive to keep performing at a high level tbh because it's the tennis success that brought all these opportunities. Lmao at Cordae's music video

·
Registered
24,015 Posts
I honestly don't understand how Naomi can get this much PR and attention compared to a lot of other players with the same on court succes. Her personality is very shy and guarded, which is fine, but I just fail to see how that makes her interesting in the eyes of brands, tv-shows etc.
I have the same question, but good for her.

·
Registered
891 Posts
I honestly don't understand how Naomi can get this much PR and attention compared to a lot of other players with the same on court succes. Her personality is very shy and guarded, which is fine, but I just fail to see how that makes her interesting in the eyes of brands, tv-shows etc.
If you were going to do a documentary on a tennis player then who would you pick?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11,809 Posts
Ok Chrissie let her have it......

Chris Evert’s open letter to Serena in the May 2006 issue of Tennis Magazine:

Dear Serena,

I’ve been thinking about your career, and something is troubling me. I appreciate that becoming a well-rounded person is important to you, as you’ve made that desire very clear. Still, a question lingers—do you ever consider your place in history? Is it something you care about? In the short term you may be happy with the various things going on in your life, but I wonder whether 20 years from now you might reflect on your career and regret not putting 100 percent of yourself into tennis. Because whether you want to admit it or not, these distractions are tarnishing your legacy.

Just a couple of years ago, when you were fully committed to the game, you showed the athleticism, shot-making, and competitive desire to become the greatest player ever. Many besides myself shared the same sentiment. You won five of the six Grand Slams you entered over the 2002 and 2003 seasons and looked utterly dominant in the process. Then you got sidetracked with injuries, pet projects, and indifference and have won only one major in the last seven you’ve played. I find those results hard to fathom. You’re simply too good not to be winning two Grand Slam titles a year. You’re still only 24, well within your prime. These are crucial years that you’ll never get back. Why not dedicate yourself entirely for the next five years and see what you can achieve?

Perhaps the reason I feel so strongly about this is because I wasn’t blessed with the physical gifts you possess. I know that the lifespan of an athlete’s greatness is brief and should be exploited. Once you get to No. 1 in the world and start winning major titles, you should see how far you can take it. You’ve become very good at many things, but how many people would trade that to be great at just one thing? I don’t see how acting and designing clothes can compare with the pride of being the best tennis player in the world. Your other accomplishments just can’t measure up to what you can do with a racquet in your hand.

Ironically, I believe that if you fulfill your potential on the tennis court, all your other endeavors will become that much easier to pursue. You could become the most famous athlete in the world. Every magazine will want you on its cover and any door you wish to walk through will be wide open. When I was playing, I always knew there would be time to get married, have children, do TV commentating, and even coach if I wanted. I assure you there will be time for you to chase all your dreams once you’re through with tennis.

I offer this only as advice, not criticism, from someone with experience. If you’re completely happy with the way your life is, then crumple up this letter and throw it away. I wish you nothing but luck and success in all your pursuits. Just remember that you have in front of you an opportunity of the rarest kind—to become the greatest ever at something.

I hope you make the most of it.
That is the cringiest thing I have ever read in my life. Oh and of course she was dead wrong, which makes it cringier.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I didn't mean it as an offense to Naomi. I can't pick any others on the top of my head except of this big stars: Williams, Sharapova etc.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Osaka recently had a 14-match win streak ended when she lost to the eventual champion in Brisbane after holding a match point. She had two poor losses in a row (which is nothing new for her, and one of these losses was on her worst surface) and suddenly according to TF her career is over.

It's no surprise players continue to fumble and flail when they are held to such ridiculous expectations. The world #10 has nothing to defend until the Asian swing but she needs to 'focus on tennis' and not do a documentary. Who said she won't be doing both?

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
To answer your question, she's easily the most marketable top player on tour and works with the best marketing organization(IMG). Her superstar breakthrough was winning a slam over the SERENA with the added controversy in the match at the age of 20. She's mixed race(black Americans have already adopted her w/Gauff as next up after Serena), her personality is endearing to most, speaks great english, she is a two time slam champ(winning the next slam after her first), 22 years old, her multicultural background. She's American as it comes based on upbringing but has the Japan/Asia markets in her palm as she's already a top 3 tennis player of all time from there based on achievements. None of her peers come close in achievements(Barty laughs) & bar Serena and Sharapova nobody on tour is close in terms of marketability(Gauff and Anisimova might have something to say if they match it). All she needs to do is keep up the success with her tennis and I can bet nobody will easily come close anytime soon.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think that's a bit to soon honestly, one never know what will happen. Documentaries on sports people should only be made after they are retired.
Agreed, I just hope she keeps succeeding and plays to her potential.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I mean..these are the same people who ask how Billie Eilish ended up with 5 Grammys lmao. You can't predict what the young kids want these days.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I have the same question, but good for her.
She has arguably the most spectacular game on tour. It counts for something.

·
Premium Member
4,471 Posts
I’ll obviously watch it but I don’t know if I like this. She’s so young and still working out what it means to be a top player. Maybe save the documentary, no?

I just fail to see how that makes her interesting in the eyes of brands, tv-shows etc.
Charisma, sweetie.

·
Registered
14,355 Posts
Obviously it is her background. Look at Li Na , she gets/got exponentially more than other players with the same achievement

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 53 Posts