Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
16,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SF-QF-QF-R3 the best clay results she ever had on = her worse surface. People are looking past it as always
Some of people's favourite couldn't even do that much yet she improved way much and fought hard. Proud of Naomi :angel:
She will keep improving and can only get better :D

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
You're right, she's done pretty well.

I guess people are expecting a lot from her because she has so much potential to dominate.

Being world no 1 really doesn't Naomi. Not this time anyway.
I think she'll be happy to lose the top ranking even just to relieve some of the pressure she's putting herself under.

·
Registered
116,024 Posts
Yes, she showed she can win on any surface. Stays #1 and heads to grass

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
I never get why people expect her to do so well on clay. When she is mentioned on being one of favourites, i didnt understand it. Maybe someday she can learn to play in the surface but atm her results are good considering her clay game.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
I don’t have too high expectations for her on grass either. But when hardcourts pickup again later this season then watch out!

Clay and Grass take time to learn. She has plenty of time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Banned
2,413 Posts
I dont have much hope from grass season anyways. She will improve . She has time. But she needs to work on her attitude. I dont doubt she will win many slams in her career but playing great against great players and then losing like to lesser ranked players and i dont care attitude and want to be in bed is bad!
She has the game but need to work on her horrible attitude.
Plus mocking is part and parcel of the forum. Don' take it to heart;)
She is 21 and already a 2 slam champion. Not many players have 2 slams playing currently. :grin2:
People got the chance and she is getting bashed. Though there are fair lashings by many which is well deserved. She earned those lashing. If she had lost playing her heart out, i wont be so upset but i was disappointed with her today:rolleyes:
Please serena or sloane or mugu win this slam!:) Fair criticism is always welcome.
only gud thing i will take is improved results from last year. I hope she learns like maria to play on clay

·
Registered
116,024 Posts
If Osaka won, her draw was still potentially Keys, Serena, Halep, Stephens, so this wasnt some crushing loss. She was a long way from winning her 3rd straight major.
Lets see how she plays on grass.

·
Banned
36 Posts
Her being called one of the favourites here just shows how good she is, her game definitely is the opposite of how you'd build an elite clay-courter from scratch, but still really solid. And still so much time to develop, career GS shouldn't be impossible.

·
Registered
241 Posts
If Osaka won, her draw was still potentially Keys, Serena, Halep, Stephens, so this wasnt some crushing loss. She was a long way from winning her 3rd straight major.
Lets see how she plays on grass.
Why was her draw so tough despite being the number 1 seed? Don't top seeds get the easiest draws by design? (I'm very new to tennis)

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
295 points last year on grass so from this point on I am calling it, no one can ever say clay is her worst surface anymore, because that title now goes to grass.

This year she went from 255 points in 2018 on clay to 720 points. If she can get more than that on grass then we can start negotiations right back in regard to what her new worst surface is.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
SF-QF-QF-R3 the best clay results she ever had on = her worse surface. People are looking past it as always
Some of people's favourite couldn't even do that much yet she improved way much and fought hard. Proud of Naomi :angel:
She will keep improving and can only get better :D
Says who? She likely will get better, but that is not a certain trajectory. Many young players struggle after impressive breakthroughs and it starts to weigh on them mentally. See Muguruza, or to a lesser extent, Bouchard.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I mean she is improving if you can't see it then you aren't watching. Her problem currently seems to be her attitude, I think when she had that bad record of not being able to win after being down a set she had the sense to play with urgency and efficiency to end the match quickly, now she doesn't have that she seems to think she can just turn it on easily which is bad. Also she needs to lose that number 1 ranking for a while and regain the drive of hunting.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Zero wins against top 20 players. Very impressive indeed. Almost as impressive as fellow clay court giant Pliskova's Rome title run without facing a single top 35 player.

·
Registered
116,024 Posts
Why was her draw so tough despite being the number 1 seed? Don't top seeds got the easiest draws by design?
It just worked out that Serena and Halep drew in the top half and Pliskova Bertens Kvitova in the bottom. Bertens and Kvitova werent healthy and Pliskova lost. This happens and Osaka had a tough draw in week 1. Similar to Halep in Melbourne
Osaka would have needed to be great to win a 3rd straight with this draw. Over time she might be one of the greats. But she wasnt ready for this draw on clay at this stage of her career

·
Registered
902 Posts
I mean it's not because she's less bad on clay compared to grass that she's good on either surface... because she's not.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts