Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
30,818 Posts
Meanwhile Vika doesn't seem to have entered any tournaments before the AO :help:.

·
Registered
82,861 Posts
This will not work well..Fissette and Osakas father..that will be horrible..even because Fissette always bring his own team ...

·
Registered
82,861 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,451 Posts
This will not work well..Fissette and Osakas father..that will be horrible..even because Fissette always bring his own team ...
Let's not put that Player/Coach Relationship between Naomi & Wim into Question before it really begins. Personally I think you're a bit mistaken when it comes to Osaka's Father Leonard. He doesn't strike as someone who is overly egoistic like some of the other Dads or Mothers on Tour who are coaching their Daughters. He will be happy to take a back seat and let Wim do his job!

·
Registered
205 Posts

From the caption, his seems to be her new coach. All the best to both, hope it ends up a long term partnership.

·
Registered
82,861 Posts

·
Registered
82,861 Posts
Why are you always sooo pessimistic? It has been awhile since Wim coached a young Player who is under 25.
Not pessimistic.it is a reality check!

·
Registered
560 Posts
Hmm. I think Naomi is getting pretty good at knowing what's best for herself at this point... a few of us on here were skeptical of her dad being coach for the rest of 2019 and expected her to regress into ballbasher-mode, but then she went on to win the next 2 tournaments. Even if it is a temporary 1 or 2 year thing, I think Wim will bring some nice dynamics to Naomi's game and steer her in the right direction to play better on grass and clay.

Also, it's nice to see Abdul in the photo. Again, some on here were unnecessarily worried about his absence at the WTA Finals, but I think he just took some time out for medical reasons - seems like he had some kind of procedure on his foot or leg. Naomi seems to be very good friends with his kids so it would be weird/awkward if he was no longer a part of 'Team Osaka'.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Good choice of coach for the short term.
Wim Fissette is the merry-go round coach of the WTA tour, kind of like a Jose Mourinho if you wish, where you know he'll get you results in the short time you are together before inevitably leaving after a short period of time. Onwards and upwards!

·
Registered
6,094 Posts
Wim was also in Shenzhen apparently giving advice to juniors using that WTA SAP stats, including Osaka's agent. In any case, Osaka also never really had a long-term coach except her father, so maybe they will gel knowing that this engagement can end any time.

·
Registered
18,741 Posts
Oh, no... I am not happy with that choice. Naomi is still young, if something does not go her way, she always has the option to find the better coach. We will see how it turns out.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts