·
Registered
16,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

·
Registered
6,270 Posts
People love her quirky personality.
I don't. It was very nice and natural in the beginning but sometimes I get the impression she is trying hard to brand her image as the innocent-awkward girl for PR.

·
Registered
88,324 Posts
Naomi..so well deserved.

Reactions: TennisFed

·
Registered
6,270 Posts
Anyway, I would be really happy if my name was Mari.

·
Premium Member
19,904 Posts
Everybody knew this would happen considering Osaka has duel citizenship. Japan is a big market for tennis and her team has marketed her this way. I don't generally feel like many people are interested in Osaka due to her personality but good for her.

·
Registered
8,288 Posts
I don't. It was very nice and natural in the beginning but sometimes I get the impression she is trying hard to brand her image as the innocent-awkward girl for PR.
Disagree. You can’t manufacture awkwardness like that the way you can charisma and what not.

I think what off puts people sometimes is her vulnerability. Comparatively, it’s also why she’s at the top of this list.

The irony is that I think she is going to get way more GLAM over time and that’s only going to boost this.

And by glam I mean Kuznetsova glam- might not be pretty constantly but when she does it up it’s insane and every single thing is designer bb

·
Registered
6,270 Posts
Disagree. You can’t manufacture awkwardness like that the way you can charisma and what not.

I think what off puts people sometimes is her vulnerability. Comparatively, it’s also why she’s at the top of this list.

The irony is that I think she is going to get way more GLAM over time and that’s only going to boost this.

And by glam I mean Kuznetsova glam- might not be pretty constantly but when she does it up it’s insane and every single thing is designer bb
Kuznetsova definitely knows how to glam up as does Pavlyuchenkova.

Reactions: VeeJJ

·
Banned
1,425 Posts
Osaka is a player who didn't achieve much. Of course, winning 2 Slams for an almost 23 year old could be enough, but in Paris and London didn't pass Round 3 and was eliminated twice RR at the WTA Finals...

Another "product" of the Americans, rising player transformed already into value! With 5 won titles.

Compared to Osaka, Andreescu looks more like a phenomenon (but still unproven), and this money would be deserved by Simona Halep.

Did she sign a contract with Satan or what? There have been a lot of flukes in the WTA. Wanna name one? Stephens, although she can still bounce back and I love her talent!

She isn't much more worth than Kvitova.

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
The Japanese market is so huge. Nishikori's endorsements are more than Djokovic's and Nadal's, so this is not a surprise really.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
In these uncertain times it's almost refreshing when certain people react to this kind of news in the exact way you expect them to.

I'm pleased for Naomi... she now has more time to get even more endorsements before the Olympics next year.

·
Registered
37,937 Posts
The Japanese market is so huge. Nishikori's endorsements are more than Djokovic's and Nadal's, so this is not a surprise really.
This is undoubtedly true, but I've never really understood the reason why. Japan is a wealthy enough country but the economy has stalled for years and their level of development is not really that high considering tennis is a sport of the wealthy. The country also doesn't have that many people. When you compare it to the size of the the Spanish, English and Chinese-speaking markets and the wealth in the European market it seems wild that Nishikori/Osaka would outstrip their far more accomplished rivals and so easily as well. Given Japan has a reputation (and I stress, reputation) for being xenophobic and racially prejudiced against biracial Japanese people, I guess it's possible she could have earned even more if she was mono-ethnic and had more of a Japanese cultural upbringing.

·
Registered
32,642 Posts
Imagine if she can win the gold in Tokyo ...

Osaka has a unique personality that has been shaped by her isolated upbringing but she's handling it relatively well.

The next step for the WTA is to find a way to make her sell out stadiums outside of Japan. She's a fan favourite on the Internet but that doesn't translate to ticket sales. Wasn't she put on Court 2 or 3 in Cincinnati last year?

·
Registered
6,270 Posts
This is undoubtedly true, but I've never really understood the reason why. Japan is a wealthy enough country but the economy has stalled for years and their level of development is not really that high considering tennis is a sport of the wealthy. The country also doesn't have that many people. When you compare it to the size of the the Spanish, English and Chinese-speaking markets and the wealth in the European market it seems wild that Nishikori/Osaka would outstrip their far more accomplished rivals and so easily as well. Given Japan has a reputation (and I stress, reputation) for being xenophobic and racially prejudiced against biracial Japanese people, I guess it's possible she could have earned even more if she was mono-ethnic and had more of a Japanese cultural upbringing.
And xenophobia and racism doesn't exist in your own country?

·
Registered
8,288 Posts
Osaka is a player who didn't achieve much. Of course, winning 2 Slams for an almost 23 year old could be enough, but in Paris and London didn't pass Round 3 and was eliminated twice RR at the WTA Finals...

Another "product" of the Americans, rising player transformed already into value! With 5 won titles.

Compared to Osaka, Andreescu looks more like a phenomenon (but still unproven), and this money would be deserved by Simona Halep.

Did she sign a contract with Satan or what? There have been a lot of flukes in the WTA. Wanna name one? Stephens, although she can still bounce back and I love her talent!

She isn't much more worth than Kvitova.
From a marketability standpoint- Osaka has the potential to reach Sharapova levels due to the markets she can penetrate.

Career-wise this is a very pre-mature analysis. She has like 15 years left and is a significantly better athlete than Bianca with just as much talent. If Osakas serve gets even better as it should, she’s got a lot more slams coming.

I can see your comparison to Kvitova however, again Osaka is such a better athlete and if Kvitova was a better grinder in the gym- she would have a lot more as well.

·
Banned
2,413 Posts
Some simona fans need to get over it and understand that Naomi has more potential in major markets than her. Is is that tough to understand? Her eng skills make her appeal to west like maria and her japanese connection helps her in asia. It makes endorsers bet on her and new nike line coming this year where she will have causal wears with them. More she is also investing in equity and business than mere endorser. Calling her fluke already? She is not 23 yet ( how many slams simona had won before 23rd birthday ? ) and can always become a better player with time. So let's not use crystal ball to write her off.

And she gets lot of support from crowd these days bcoz of her appeal to public. She is what brands look in athlete. She is rumored to be face of olympics and if she pulls it off there in tokyo, she will enter league of 50 million usd yearly endorser list. She has just that factor.

Good for Naomi but i hope she doesn't lose focus on her game and improve it whenever tour starts again. Endorsements will always be there, but titles is what matters and more the titles, more endorsements for her.

1 - 20 of 434 Posts