Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
He shows again and again what an ass he is ...

David Nalbandian reacted in anger after Nicolas Coutelot beat him 6-3 6-3 4-6 2-6 6-1 to advance to the third round of the French Open.

Shortly after shaking hands with Coutelot, Nalbandian then waved his finger at him and the pair stood face-to-face for over a minute in what appeared to be a heated argument.

Nalbandian had contested the umpire's line call in the seventh game of the final set, with Coutelot serving for the match.

The call went against Nalbandian who, trailing 0-30 and close to defeat, smashed his racket into the ground.

The racket bounced up and almost hit Nalbandian in the face. He then changed rackets and prepared to face Coutelot's serve.

Coutelot, however, complained to the umpire that Nalbandian should have been penalized.

"He broke three rackets and didn't have a warning, or a penalty point," Coutelot, ranked 173rd, said.

"I went to the umpire because it's a rule. It's true that in tournaments they don't always follow rules the same way."

In the sixth game of the last set, Nalbandian again showed his discontent, aggressively snatching a towel from the hands of a ball-boy.

·
Registered
5,330 Posts
As if you can expect anything else from Nal. Grar

Marats_Angel said:
"I went to the umpire because it's a rule. It's true that in tournaments they don't always follow rules the same way."
I've seen more evidence of discrepancies in the interpretation of rules during the other match today

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Well, Coutelot is an asshole, too. I saw the end of the match, and it looked like Nalby was pissed off cause Coutelot went and argued with the umpire because he allowed Nalby to change his racquet in the middle of the match game.

Nalby wanted to let it drop, but Coutelot followed him to his chair and kept arguing, a la Roddick with Lapentti last year.

Of course, Coutelot is also the player who made a big stink about losing to Ferrero in the second round last year, saying Ferrero couldn't have been injured and still beat him :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Somehow, I'm not surprised Nalbandian had an outburst - a match where he was expected to win, underperforming and losing to a player who has all the vocal French crowd support. Equally, that confrontation doesn't sound surprising, as Coutelot is also a real livewire at times - did anyone read his comment about players' cars in his interview after his first-round match, where he suggested that the journalists come and have a look at his car in the parking lot to prove that not all players have Ferraris? Quite a character at times, he is.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Hendouble said:
Somehow, I'm not surprised Nalbandian had an outburst - a match where he was expected to win, underperforming and losing to a player who has all the vocal French crowd support. Equally, that confrontation doesn't sound surprising, as Coutelot is also a real livewire at times - did anyone read his comment about players' cars in his interview after his first-round match, where he suggested that the journalists come and have a look at his car in the parking lot to prove that not all players have Ferraris? Quite a character at times, he is.
Where is the transcript of that interview, please HD?

·
Registered
28,582 Posts
TennisHack said:
Well, Coutelot is an asshole, too. I saw the end of the match, and it looked like Nalby was pissed off cause Coutelot went and argued with the umpire because he allowed Nalby to change his racquet in the middle of the match game.

Nalby wanted to let it drop, but Coutelot followed him to his chair and kept arguing, a la Roddick with Lapentti last year.

Of course, Coutelot is also the player who made a big stink about losing to Ferrero in the second round last year, saying Ferrero couldn't have been injured and still beat him :rolleyes:
Indeed. Coutelot needs to go back to the futures and leave the rest of the world alone...somewhere, anywhere that I hardly ever have to hear about him would be nice. *is not forgiving*

As for Nalbandian...eh. He fucked up a good draw, I'd be pissed off too :p Being a turd is part of his character ;)

·
Premium Member
20,728 Posts
LOL Becca :) I thought David could pull it off in the 5th but alas it was not to be. He better get ready for Wimbledon.

And I think he thought Coutelot was mad cause he went over and got his racket. My view maybe bias since I"m a fan but David is not an asshole.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
proteus, I saw it as Quote of the Day on the Eurosport news channel, so I don't actually know where the rest of the interview is. Judging by some of his various comments in interviews, Coutelot is certainly good entertainment value, whether you agree with his opinion or not...

·
Registered
28,582 Posts
Hendouble said:
proteus, I saw it as Quote of the Day on the Eurosport news channel, so I don't actually know where the rest of the interview is. Judging by some of his various comments in interviews, Coutelot is certainly good entertainment value, whether you agree with his opinion or not...
How can one forget the time last year when he told the media that them "lying" to him about Ferrero's injury was analogous to them saying that Osama was dead?

·
Registered
13,064 Posts
Nalbandian is an ass. I havent heard of Coutelot before, but he sounds like one too. David always acts like a brat in every match.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts