Tennis Forum banner

581 - 600 of 604 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
We are at the moment and have other people involved. No rush just such a long journey. It’s a tough gig for anyone who is in it.. support is key I feel.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
According to the Beeb, "the move to change her nationality has been made independent of the Lawn Tennis Association", which sounds slightly ominous, but Broady has always done okay for wildcards, despite not being on speaking terms with the LTA.

·
Registered
14,526 Posts
According to the Beeb, "the move to change her nationality has been made independent of the Lawn Tennis Association", which sounds slightly ominous, but Broady has always done okay for wildcards, despite not being on speaking terms with the LTA.
Probably just to stress that there is not some kind of agreement with the Bains (e.g funding )

·
Banned
17,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #586

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Well, the last time we nicked a 21-year-old Aussie, ranked in the 200s, it turned out pretty well.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Tbh I'm really pissed about this. I always supported her when no one else did. I know its a business decision but shes dead to me now. Hope she loses every match. P.S. what a waste of 100s of WCs on her in Australia

·
Banned
17,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #591
Tbh I'm really pissed about this. I always supported her when no one else did. I know its a business decision but shes dead to me now. Hope she loses every match. P.S. what a waste of 100s of WCs on her in Australia

·
Banned
17,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #592
Muahahaha, she is one of ours now. :devil:
Perhaps wait until she gets some noteworthy results before you start celebrating, lol.

·
Milk and honey
3,302 Posts
Agree that the timing of this is weird, and it does not look good that she used all of those Aussie WC's only to switch back, but is it that deep?

If you liked her that much originally, her changing nationality shouldn't be the deal-breaker. Supporting someone because they play for your country is fine, but why ditch them if you liked their game originally? Unless of course the flag she played under was the only thing you liked? If you're ditching her because you feel angry that she has somewhat used Aus for personal gain alone, I can understand that a lot better.

For me, even though Naiktha is playing for the UK again, it doesn't change anything for me. She's still an uninteresting player without any great talent, I'm not going to suddenly jump on a bandwagon. Likewise, if Konta for example changed nationalities back to Australia or even to Hungary (won't ever happen but just for arguments sake), I would continue supporting her because I like her as a person and as a player. :shrug:

·
Registered
4,297 Posts
Perhaps wait until she gets some noteworthy results before you start celebrating, lol.
Pal, she's 21, instantly the new GB #6, at a career high with nothing to defend until mid June, literally (and criminally) the only player currently with a GB flag next to their name who has won a title above 15k in 2019. She may never get anywhere near the top 100 in her career, but in relative terms, compared to the rest of our current crop, she's already had some noteworthy results and is certainly a welcome addition.

Oh and she's already 2-0 since her switch :devil:

·
Banned
17,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #595
I guess some countries just have low standards.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Based on rankings for 2019 alone, Naiktha would be our 4th highest ranked female player at 166 which is considerably higher than her current 12 month ranking. Another player arriving on the scene might provide impetus for other players to improve. Also saying she won't be successful how do we know? By the time she had reached the age of 24 without much success I don't recall anybody predicting Johanna Konta would reach 2 Grand Slam semi finals. Hope she doesn't do a Bedene and go back to the most recent country she left. Is she actually living in the UK?

·
Registered
11,849 Posts
It's just a matter of time until we get Barty, Daria G and maybe some of the others. :devil:

Priscilla Hon virtually has a British accent already. It's Destanee's destiny to be British. Ajla is thinking of following her idol Ivanovic's foot steps and marrying an English footballer but she wants to be British herself first.

P.S I know Ivanovic married a German footballer.. I was really tired during this trolling attempt and can not be bothered to ammend it now.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Her debut as a Brit ended in a 6-1 6-3 first round defeat in Italy to local 7th seed Anastasia Grymalska, who was only ranked a half dozen places higher.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Fourlis also got bt by a girl who Naiktha bt at 16 when pereira was ranked inside 100 ..
She currently at 500. Relax
It’s tennis

·
Registered
76,420 Posts
Her debut as a Brit ended in a 6-1 6-3 first round defeat in Italy to local 7th seed Anastasia Grymalska, who was only ranked a half dozen places higher.
Actually she already won 2 matches as a Brit last week before they cancelled the tournament.

581 - 600 of 604 Posts