1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
54,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.gulfnews.com/indepth/dubaitennis/more_stories/10020358.html

Nagyova grappling to get career back on track

By Alaric Gomes, Staff Reporter

Dubai: One-time top player Henrieta Nagyova is coming to terms with the challenge of the WTA Tour.

"It's a struggle to get back once you are out of it for some time," said Nagyova to the Gulf News as she completed her qualifying and entered the main draw of the Dubai Duty Free Women's Open here.

Nagyova reached the pinnacle of her career when she was moved in at No.21 on the Tour. But that was in 2001. Things have been different since then.

A stress fracture on her right wrist forced her to drop out of the Tour and her ranking plummeted to zero. And only a gritty comeback since last year has seen the Slovak crawl back into reckoning as one of the challengers on the circuit.

"Not everyone on the Tour has the fortitude for a comeback after injury," Nagyova said. "Take Hingis (Martina) for instance. She's so different? three tournaments and she has already entered the top 50."

Nagyova may not be a Hingis, but she has shown character in getting her career back on track. "There are so many players who never make it back."

Down from zero Nagyova, with nine WTA Tour singles titles, is slowly making progress. But she does not seem satisfied. "My game is not hundred per cent as yet and neither am I happy with the progress I am making," she said.

But she has managed to climb up to 146 in the latest WTA Rankings. "I think I have been lucky as at least I am getting back on track. QQualifying here was one of my immediate aims."

·
Registered
14,429 Posts
keep fighting Henya :)

:yeah:

·
Registered
21,059 Posts
Keep going, Henrieta!! We haven't forgotten about you!

·
Premium Member
181,954 Posts
Henrieta ;) :), hope she makes it back to top 50 :)
she played pretty good here, and was playing some nice stuff today :)

Reactions: Natarajasana

·
I felt suddenly quite wildly happy.
46,189 Posts
Hehe, Go Henrieta!!!!!

She really seems to be very very motivate to come back, it's great to read this :banana:

Reactions: Natarajasana

·
Registered
24,441 Posts
Henya :worship:

·
Registered
11,058 Posts
Looking at some of the players in the top 30 at the moment makes me think that a fit in form Nagyova should be able to get to at least the top 50. Of course staying healthy has always been a problem for her.

Henrieta basically is not good enough to beat the top players but played at a level superior to everyone below her and that's how her ranking got so high and she won somany tournaments.

She's a credit to herself really.

·
Registered
8,407 Posts
She's a nice player to watch, solid, great backhand. Hope she makes it, I have no doubt she will, if she manages to play at 100% and stay injury-free, which has never been easy for her.

·
63,590 Posts
I never forget Henya's victory over ASV in Sydney years ago! :hearts: She played awesome ;)

·
Registered
34,279 Posts
Nagyova :D
She has an amazing career for a tennis player :)
Let's hope she can add some more tournies to her list, at least one more to reach her 10th :D

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
she definitely is a quality player and can get much better place out there

1 - 20 of 20 Posts